Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 715665 times)

muntanela

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 687
    • BRATA
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1740 on: July 06, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »

Vaccinium microcarpum (Turcz. ex Rupr.) Schmalh., Eastern grosina Valley.

It's a very tiny glacial relict and very rare in Italy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:38:04 pm by muntanela »
Logged

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1741 on: July 07, 2016, 12:16:26 am »

I learned only the other day: in the human animal, the ears and the nose never stop growing.
It's not that, Rob. It is that the rest of the skin on the head recedes leaving, well, the nose and the ears ;)

Dr Dave ;)

PS Handsome. All three portraits.

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25164
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1742 on: July 07, 2016, 04:26:48 am »

It's not that, Rob. It is that the rest of the skin on the head recedes leaving, well, the nose and the ears ;)

Dr Dave ;)

PS Handsome. All three portraits.


I can see a logic to that, Dave, as the hair sets a precedent. But I do think that the ears, especially, seem to grow a lot longer - as if there were an elephant in the family. Now for the sake of our PC friends here, I'm not in the least knocking elephants - some of my best friends are elephants - it's just that there's a right time and place for even the greatest of them, and I hardly feel that's hanging from the side of one's head.

In fact, I think that the skull changes shape too: inspection of the pink bandana image shows the bandana to be slighty high on the forehead. For it to look right, it should be lower down, almost at the eyebrows. It always starts there, but drifts upwards... I find the same sartorial inconvenience in winter, when those nice wooly hats (that are supposed to cover the ears and insulate the crown) end up above the ears. and tilted rakishly backwards à la pixie, not at all the look I am after.

Could this be the onset of a decline to simian forebears?

Rob

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1743 on: July 08, 2016, 12:57:18 pm »

Could this be the onset of a decline to simian forebears?

Perhaps ascent? Why worry? Be happy ;) Here's a shot from an Argentine Giant cactus flower taken with my new J5 attached to the Nikkor 70-200 f/4

brianrybolt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Re: Without Prejudice 2 - Recyclescape
« Reply #1744 on: July 09, 2016, 05:42:22 am »

Taken in Newhaven, East Sussex, UK
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:41:12 am by brianrybolt »
Logged

pegelli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1664
    • http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1745 on: July 09, 2016, 06:03:56 am »

Who needs expensive advertising or big billboards?

Logged
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25164
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1746 on: July 09, 2016, 08:26:54 am »

Who needs expensive advertising or big billboards?




Nice photograph - irony, too, with the paint job being perfectly suited to red wine, but the 'commercial', nonetheless, for white!

It's one of the things that makes this form of 'street' (as I seem to think of the genre) so interesting - one doesn't always need people... enough their traces.

Rob

Chairman Bill

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3352
    • flickr page
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1747 on: July 09, 2016, 08:35:11 am »

Boring landscape. Not street. No wine. Sorry.

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1748 on: July 09, 2016, 06:01:51 pm »

Something from Barcelona, late, listening to buskers.

BTW, the standard for buskers in Barcelona is incredible: we're not talking unemployed teens, these are people in their 50's and 60's who presumably have been been playing/singing since they were kids, in a culture where classical guitar is serious stuff...
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1749 on: July 09, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »

Boring landscape. Not street.

A bridge is sort of a street, isn't it?
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1750 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:28 pm »

There were lots of photographers... of different degrees of seriousness...
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1751 on: July 10, 2016, 06:48:51 am »

And here is some lens flare.
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25164
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1752 on: July 12, 2016, 10:18:10 am »

And here is some lens flare.

Tout ce qu'il faut, c'est une fille avec une cigarette:

Helmut Newton, Rue Aubriot, Yves Saint Laurent, French Vogue, Paris 1975.

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1753 on: July 12, 2016, 10:28:57 am »

Indeed so, and I have another version without the flare, but the fille in the billowy black robe is replaced by a middle aged mec in a t-shirt.
I opted for the content :)

For reference (although there were several: I think Newton lived in rue Aubriot at the time??)

https://ongallery.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/newtonh_rue-aubriot.jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:32:02 am by GrahamBy »
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25164
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1754 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:28 am »

Indeed so, and I have another version without the flare, but the fille in the billowy black robe is replaced by a middle aged mec in a t-shirt.
I opted for the content :)

For reference (although there were several: I think Newton lived in rue Aubriot at the time??)

https://ongallery.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/newtonh_rue-aubriot.jpg

If you don't aready have some Helmut books, I'd recomment the mini-Sumo: it's already a huge volume in both senses of huge, comes with its own thick, perspex stand, and when I got mine, retailed at just about €100. It's my only Helmut tome and worth ever penny. Taschen, of course.

Do you ever buy French PHOTO? I used to for a good many years, and apart from discovering a lot of interesting shooters, it helped me remember a little of the little of the language that I'd learned at school. Never had mecs and cons in school lessons, though...

Rob

pegelli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1664
    • http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1755 on: July 12, 2016, 02:58:21 pm »

Different times, different tools.

But still available in one shop  ;)

Logged
pieter, aka pegelli

Chairman Bill

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3352
    • flickr page
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1756 on: July 13, 2016, 03:37:23 am »

Who're ewe looking at?

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1757 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:23 am »

Pieter, at first I thought those pink and blue objects were for an older type of feminine selfie...

Rob: yes, I was tempted by mini-Sumo at christmas when the Taschen store in town had a stack of them. Then again my Scottish blood calculated that just before xmas was not a good time to be a buyer in the market :-) I already have a pocket-size collection of Newtons, and a couple of later soft-bounds. One of them is the "Us and Them", which collects portraits by Alice of Helmut, by Helmut of Alice, and by either of others.

Having Sumo is still tempting... one day :-)

Photo, I have a few copies about still. One had a very nice collection of Jonvelle... First time I bought it was when visiting Paris as a student in the late 80's. Subscription from Australia would have been well outside my budget, but I would occasionally pick up copies as they arrived by chance in the Technical Bookstore in Melbourne. That was also the source of most of my photo books at the time: the ones that were cheap after having been pawed-over extensively without selling. Bought Mapplethorpe's book on Lisa Lyon that way...

Wonderful store: mathematics, architecture, photography, computer science, motorcycles... It seems they folded a few years back :-(
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1758 on: July 13, 2016, 04:32:58 pm »

More Barcelona night-time laneway
Logged

pegelli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1664
    • http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1759 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »

More Barcelona night-time laneway
Reminded me of a shot I took in Madrid a few years ago (2011)



Quite different, but still it was the first shot I thought of after seeing yours.
Logged
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 137   Go Up