There are too many restaurants out there. Unfortunately, even after relaxing the lockdowns, quite a few of their employers will be forced to permanently shut down the restaurants and bars.
So true. And here in Spain as well. Every year (in terms of normal years) a couple of bars in my little area close down and somebody else takes them on, spends a lot of money redecorating, and then folds. Before they retired, a Spanish couple with whom we got on very well, told me that in Pollensa, there were 50 bars, and that that was why none could make good money. It's a very little town, and outwith the summer tourist season, you'd think it deserted, even though it certainly is not.
Today's British news informs that the brewing industry is 80% down over this period. I have a feeling that after this has passed, things will probably never be the same again. For a start, I believe that people will start to take health far more seriously, consider for the first time the many, many possible sources of infection, and no longer just take good health for granted.
I love to drop into a bar every day for a cup of coffee and a read of the newspapers kindly provided. I am missing simple things like that a great deal. But, will I just drift in again, wherever I happen to be at the time the urge strikes, and not wonder how well the cup has been washed, and who last drank from it? Though I long to be free of the kitchen, it may be a while after the official reopening of restaurants that I frequented before I actually return to them. I'm pretty sure I am not unique there.