Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on March 19, 2012, 01:08:50 pm

Title: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Rob C on March 19, 2012, 01:08:50 pm
Ay, Bernard, be patient; life begins at fifty. Okay, it ends with the pension, but fifty still rocks. I remember that well! Wise? Wiser? You are as wise at thirty as you are at sixty. It's genetic, not accumulative. Just like talent. ( ;-) )

Rob C
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Dave Millier on March 19, 2012, 05:56:41 pm
I turn 50 in 4 weeks - and I still have my D100!



Ay, Bernard, be patient; life begins at fifty. Okay, it ends with the pension, but fifty still rocks. I remember that well! Wise? Wiser? You are as wise at thirty as you are at sixty. It's genetic, not accumulative. Just like talent. ( ;-) )

Rob C
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 19, 2012, 06:56:03 pm
Happy birthday, Bernard!

Rob is right: 50 is a good age to look forward to. And so is 60, and even 70 if you play your cards right.
And my mother feels that way about 80, 90, and 100, too. She's still having fun.

So take good care of those Nikons, and keep exercising them regularly!

Cheers,

Eric
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: marcmccalmont on March 19, 2012, 08:43:35 pm
Well I turned 55.5 lucky you!
Marc
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: RichDesmond on March 19, 2012, 09:18:33 pm
Happy birthday Bernard!!
Enjoy your 40s, it's arguably the best decade of life.  :)
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: wolfnowl on March 20, 2012, 01:54:21 am
Happy Birthday, Bernard!  I remember forty, sort of... Okay, not really.

And to Rob, the mother of a former co-worker got her Masters degree in Botany... at 83.  Life keeps on rolling!!

Mike.
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: BJL on March 20, 2012, 08:32:16 am
"So young and yet so talented" ;)

At 40, you might be the boy of the old men's club of long-time LuLa participants.

Anyway, please do try out the D800 on some action and emotion shots like the World Cup ones, to take it out of the comfort zone (yours and its?) of carefully constructed and edited nature scenes.
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Rob C on March 20, 2012, 09:50:50 am
Happy Birthday, Bernard!  I remember forty, sort of... Okay, not really.

And to Rob, the mother of a former co-worker got her Masters degree in Botany... at 83.  Life keeps on rolling!!

Mike.



Grandma Moses hasn't escaped my notice either...

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Pelao on March 20, 2012, 05:51:50 pm
Cool tale. Happy birthday.

I was watching my wife use a 300D / Dig Rebel the other night, and realized that next year it will be 10. It may be slow and cludgy compared to some, but she makes some great captures with it. She knows it inside out, and it simply delivers.
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Craig Lamson on March 20, 2012, 07:20:06 pm
Age is a state of mind...until you look in the mirror.

40, oh to have two decades back :)
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: NicoChina on March 20, 2012, 07:35:22 pm
Bon anniversaire Bernard

Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 20, 2012, 08:29:51 pm
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." - Dyan

I now express my age in Celsius (although it is still Centigrade to me) -- makes me feel younger.



Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: wolfnowl on March 21, 2012, 01:15:45 am
I now express my age in Celsius (although it is still Centigrade to me) -- makes me feel younger.

Gotta remember that one!

Mike.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled photography post.  I really am interested in hearing about the D800...
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Ray on March 21, 2012, 01:44:04 am
Only 40, Bernard! Who would have thought it! You seem to have wisdom beyond your years.  ;D
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 21, 2012, 02:04:55 am
Thank you for these kind words my friends.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: DaveCurtis on March 21, 2012, 03:36:25 am
Now that you are 40 Bernard, I think you should sell all your Nikon gear and shoot Canon and medium format digital   ;)
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Rob C on March 21, 2012, 05:02:25 am
Now that you are 40 Bernard, I think you should sell all your Nikon gear and shoot Canon and medium format digital   ;)



No no, NO! That's for the mid-life crisis when you unload yourself of all the really good stuff in chase of a dream that is made of fine particles of bullshit.

You're reading the wise words of one such who sacrificed two 500 series and stuff for a 6x7, the first of two different brands, one as hopeless as the other...

Stay the course, Bernard; you'd finally just have to buy right back into Nikon as did I!

Rob C
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: DaveCurtis on March 22, 2012, 01:57:53 am
Yes, I can't see the Good Ship Bernard altering course  :)
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 22, 2012, 05:58:07 am
Yes, I can't see the Good Ship Bernard altering course  :)

Hum... it looks like my d800 will not be delivered tomorrow as I expected...

I am considering selling all my Nikon gear and moving to Canon. I have read the Dpreview Canon forum and it seems that the 5DIII is much superior anyway.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: francois on March 22, 2012, 06:21:33 am
–
I am considering selling all my Nikon gear and moving to Canon. I have read the Dpreview Canon forum and it seems that the 5DIII is much superior anyway.
–

Bernard,
That's bad, really. Is this early dementia symptoms?

 ;D
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 22, 2012, 09:26:30 am
Hum... it looks like my d800 will not be delivered tomorrow as I expected...

I am considering selling all my Nikon gear and moving to Canon. I have read the Dpreview Canon forum and it seems that the 5DIII is much superior anyway.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,

Have you noticed that most of your LuLa fans are aged geezers like me and Rob? We're old enough to be yo' daddy, or even yo' granddaddy, and we've lost more wisdom since we turned 40.

For example, it was about when I was 1.5 times 40 that I got rid of all my wonderful Pentax gear and went over to the Dark Side (i.e., Digital), and started my addiction to Canon. I'm too hooked on Canon to go back now, or to try that other newcomer -- what's it called? -- oh, yes: Nikkon or Nipon or something like that.

Anyhow, do give proper love to your new D800 when it does arrive, and don't seriously consider switching until you reach senility (60++).

Cheers,

Eric

P.S. Are you going to name your first child D800?   :D
Title: Re: I Turned Forty...
Post by: Rob C on March 22, 2012, 11:14:26 am
Bernard,
That's bad, really. Is this early dementia symptoms?

 ;D



Nope, this is tongue-in-cheek fatigue, closely related to camera fatigue. Demetia symptoms you never appreciate until it's too late, and even then they are sometimes mistaken for that other old bitch, mid-life crisis. Trust me, my T-shirt drawer runneth over.

;-)

Rob C