Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 04:00:15 am

Title: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 04:00:15 am
What I've ben saying forever:

http://leicaphilia.com/can-you-teach-creativity-part-one/

However, that acceped, I still wish I'd had the opportunity going somewhere and learning painting techniques beyond that box of Windsor & Newtons! It fits perfectly with my theory that you can - and should - be taught technique/tools if only to save you wasting your time reinventing the wheel.

Further, at least in Glasgow, there is no doubt that the connections made in such establishments last a lifetime. Life is about being plugged in, enchufado, if you will; networks. Without that, going out on your own leaves you pretty much, well, out on your own.

I look forward to Part 11.

Rob
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 23, 2019, 08:50:40 am
What I've ben saying forever:

http://leicaphilia.com/can-you-teach-creativity-part-one/


Thank you Rob.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 23, 2019, 12:01:42 pm
What I've ben saying forever:

http://leicaphilia.com/can-you-teach-creativity-part-one/

 I still wish I'd had the opportunity going somewhere and learning painting techniques beyond that box of Windsor & Newtons! It fits perfectly with my theory that you can - and should - be taught technique/tools if only to save you wasting your time reinventing the wheel.



I look forward to Part 11.

Rob

I teach Undergrad painting in NYC...I introduce ideas and technique, however that guarantees nothing. It all depends on the mind and the hands of the individual. Also hard work, persistence  and desire of the student. Then, maybe...

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: RSL on May 23, 2019, 02:44:14 pm
And the ability to see, Peter, out there or inside. Better yet, both.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 23, 2019, 03:20:07 pm
And the ability to see, Peter, out there or inside. Better yet, both.

Yes! The ability to see, can be heightened in the student...But something needs to be there. I always prefer the challenged student that has desire and a good work ethic, over the super talented student. Often I've see the underdog pass the hotshot and go to have a solid career.

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: RSL on May 23, 2019, 04:07:19 pm
I think that's why HCB didn't say, "Seeing is everything." He said, "Looking is everything." The difference between the two is called "work." But, of course, you still have to be able to see or all that looking will turn out to be a waste of time.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Ray on May 23, 2019, 09:00:30 pm
There's also the issue of the quality of the teacher. The truth might be that creativity cannot always be taught because the student is not sufficiently motivated and/or the teacher is not sufficiently skilled in teaching methods and lacks a psychological understanding of a particular student's background.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 24, 2019, 04:49:51 am
There's also the issue of the quality of the teacher. The truth might be that creativity cannot always be taught because the student is not sufficiently motivated and/or the teacher is not sufficiently skilled in teaching methods and lacks a psychological understanding of a particular student's background.

Also, interpersonal chemistry can be woefully out of tune.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 24, 2019, 12:26:40 pm
Also, interpersonal chemistry can be woefully out of tune.

This can often, and should be, mitigated by the instructor. A good instructor does not impose their own way upon the student. But rather learn somethings about the student's desires and guide them in a good direction. Exposing the student to various appropriate stimuli. I don't teach what I do, but rather what  the student needs. Then build and advance from there.

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 24, 2019, 04:24:10 pm
I don't teach what I do, but rather what  the student needs. Then build and advance from there.

Peter
You mean, you can teach any student?
Or are there students for whom you can not do anything?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 24, 2019, 04:34:58 pm
You mean, you can teach any student?
Or are there students for whom you can not do anything?

Before I go down this road with you I need to know your real name...Just so I can do a google search on you, to understand better with whom I'm conversing.

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 24, 2019, 05:01:40 pm
This can often, and should be, mitigated by the instructor. A good instructor does not impose their own way upon the student. But rather learn somethings about the student's desires and guide them in a good direction. Exposing the student to various appropriate stimuli. I don't teach what I do, but rather what  the student needs. Then build and advance from there.

Peter
Curious what you think about the artistic and creative ability of a photographer who can't draw past stick figure like me vs. someone who has the natural ability to draw realistically? 
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 24, 2019, 05:16:48 pm
Curious what you think about the artistic and creative ability of a photographer who can't draw past stick figure like me vs. someone who has the natural ability to draw realistically?
 

Alan,

Drawing is a skill and can be taught. Creativity is something very different than be able to draw. It has to do with seeing and imagination. Both are necessary for Artistic life. Whatever medium one choses. 

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 24, 2019, 06:38:50 pm
Before I go down this road with you I need to know your real name...Just so I can do a google search on you, to understand better with whom I'm conversing.

Peter

You seem to think that Google has all answers  :)
Well I tried it just for fun. Look at the result:

About 8’630’000 results (0.64 seconds)

But I respect your caution. :(
It's your right

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 24, 2019, 06:53:29 pm
You seem to think that Google has all answers  :)
Well I tried it just for fun. Look at the result:

About 8’630’000 results (0.64 seconds)

But I respect your caution. :(
It's your right

Thank you...

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: fdisilvestro on May 24, 2019, 09:49:39 pm
You seem to think that Google has all answers  :)
Well I tried it just for fun. Look at the result:

About 8’630’000 results (0.64 seconds)

But I respect your caution. :(
It's your right

If you searched for “rabanito” then most of those results are likely to be about small radish (translation from Spanish)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 03:41:36 am
If you searched for “rabanito” then most of those results are likely to be about small radish (translation from Spanish)

That's true.
But I searched after my real name (8 Mio hits). "rabanito" brings up "only" 500'000 hits  ;D


BTW with only one keyword more the selection narrows enormously.
We're in real danger if anyone really wants to know about any of us

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: fdisilvestro on May 25, 2019, 04:32:34 am
We're in real danger if anyone really wants to know about any of us

People usually want to know about your work or trajectory, you “public life”. I don’t see any issue there.
Danger is when someone wants or tries to find about your private life. I would say that nobody in this forum is interested in the latter.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 05:43:22 am
People usually want to know about your work or trajectory, you “public life”. I don’t see any issue there.
Danger is when someone wants or tries to find about your private life. I would say that nobody in this forum is interested in the latter.

You are absolutely right. I concur.
Also with the caveat "usually"
But if you want to know relevant (non-private) things about me - for instance - you can just ask
Or read my opinions in this forum or look at the pictures I publish. This can give you a pretty good idea
I could write rabanito or Oliver Hardy or John Doe. For what is pertinent in a forum this is enough, I believe.
And I  put the word "danger" in a humorous way, of course.
But one never knows  8)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Chris Kern on May 25, 2019, 10:15:14 am
We're in real danger if anyone really wants to know about any of us

People usually want to know about your work or trajectory, you “public life”. I don’t see any issue there.

Apropos of which, I'm often curious about the location of someone posting to this international forum.  I wish more contributors would fill out the location field in their user profiles.  I can't believe anyone who isn't in a witness-protection program would consider that sensitive private information.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 25, 2019, 10:46:18 am
It is maybe worth noting that posting your personal information in a relatively calm, "safe," environment like LuLa has its risks.

Me? I live pretty openly, having posted enough stuff on the internet that can't be taken back over the last 30 years. You can find my home address in a few minutes.

But you, well. Maybe you're not there. Here's how this goes bad: You post on LuLa, and under pressure from the locals you offer up a little personal information. No harm done. Somewhere else, in a more volatile forum, someone decides that they hate your guts. You're not an idiot, you know it's volatile and has some crazies, so you've been posting (as everyone there does) under a relatively anonymous handle.

Unfortunately, you left clues. Maybe you posted a photograph there, and the same one here. A google image search connects them. (or any number of other trails allow the crazy to connect you to LuLa). LuLa, where you name and home state are posted, which generally will get your home address quite quickly. Next thing you know, the crazy has called in "sounds of gunshots and screaming" on your home address, and a SWAT team is knocking down your door at 3am. Maybe someone gets shot.

It's a pretty safe world, but it's not *entirely* safe.

Personally, I find the constant drumbeat of "you should share personal info" on LuLa to be kind of distasteful. What on earth could it possibly matter? Why should someone expose themselves for your curiosity?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 12:12:10 pm
I What on earth could it possibly matter?

Amen
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: KLaban on May 25, 2019, 02:36:28 pm
Personally speaking the decision to be open about identity was taken years ago and was business orientated, happily it paid dividends. Once that decision was made I decided to continue to remain open about my identity whatever the platform.

I accept that it is entirely up to the individual to make such decisions as they see fit and that is their prerogative. That said I will give greater weight to those who are upfront on such matters and that of course is my prerogative.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: RSL on May 25, 2019, 02:44:24 pm
That said I will give greater weight to those who are upfront on such matters and that of course is my prerogative.

Exactly, Keith. I feel the same way. When I see someone on the web hiding his location, age, etc., I always wonder what it is he has to hide.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 03:02:26 pm
When I see someone on the web hiding his location, age, etc., I always wonder what it is he has to hide.

Well, i can answer that if you will:
It is his location, age, etc
That was easy...  ;)

There is nothing to "hide". This and others are platforms where everyone who pays his dollar a month can participate. You can be anything one can encounter in the net
I assume that all names and avatars and addresses etc are real. But I don't know for sure.
There is no reason to share them with anyone. We'll never meet.

I can also tell you that my name is Hiroshi Kagawa and I live in Osaka. And now what?
Cui bono?

We teach our children to be careful with their data. We set an example by not being careless with our privacy.
Just that.

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 03:13:39 pm
I accept that it is entirely up to the individual to make such decisions as they see fit and that is their prerogative. That said I will give greater weight to those who are upfront on such matters and that of course is my prerogative.

I'm not sure I understand, sorry.
You mean that those who do not identify themselves are less qualified?
Or is kind of a punishment?

Heard about someone "Homer"? There are even busts of him around. The one of Illiad and Odyssey, not the Simpson one...
It's just a nick, maybe he was one person, maybe "Homer" is just a label for an entire tradition.
Who cares? The work is what is important.
As Shakespeare said: "Much ado about nothing"  ;)


Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: KLaban on May 25, 2019, 03:30:53 pm
I'm not sure I understand, sorry.
You mean that those who do not identify themselves are less qualified?
Or is kind of a punishment?

My bank manager is upfront about his identity, I give him greater weight than those who email me with offers of untold wealth. Same goes for my doctor and pharmacist.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: RSL on May 25, 2019, 03:34:57 pm
And same goes for critics on LuLa who don't identify themselves.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 04:12:23 pm
My bank manager is upfront about his identity, I give him greater weight than those who email me with offers of untold wealth. Same goes for my doctor and pharmacist.

I don't think that we members of the forum play in the same league as your doctor or bank manager...

We, identified or not, have or do not have influence in your opinion or your photography based on our personal data.
All you need is to judge our images and opinions at face value. The rest is irrelevant.
Just MHO
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 25, 2019, 04:38:52 pm
I don't think that we members of the forum play in the same league as your doctor or bank manager...

We, identified or not, have or do not have influence in your opinion or your photography based on our personal data.
All you need is to judge our images and opinions at face value. The rest is irrelevant.
Just MHO

That's one reason for having a website.

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: LesPalenik on May 25, 2019, 06:06:34 pm
The key to creativity is to get the latest 102MP Fuji GFX100 camera. A reviewer stated:
“I thought I’d never need a camera above and beyond 50 megapixels. I was so wrong,” Saradzic says. “I don’t see myself shooting with anything less than 100 megapixels now.”

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/24/heres-the-first-timelapse-shot-on-the-102-megapixel-fujifilm-gfx100/
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 25, 2019, 06:30:45 pm
A category of people less willing than me to share their personal information, and for good reason, is women.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Ray on May 25, 2019, 10:06:03 pm
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Rabanito asks; "You mean, you can teach any student? Or are there students for whom you can not do anything?", and Peter replies; "Before I go down this road with you I need to know your real name...Just so I can do a google search on you, to understand better with whom I'm conversing."

I think Peter's response would have been more appropriate if Rabanito's question had been, "You mean, you can teach me?", but that wasn't his question.

I think it's obvious that a teacher in any subject will not be equally effective in teaching all individuals, considering the great variability in human characteristics, intelligence, cultural background, personal experiences, and so on.

An extreme example is the situation of the Aboriginals in Australia. I get the impression that a major cause of the inadequacy of the teaching in Aboriginal schools, especially in remote communities, is due to the 'white' teachers' lack of understanding of Aboriginal culture and language. The teachers are therefore unable to engage and communicate with the community, build up trust with the kids, and serve as role models.

As regards the issue of some people, like me, not revealing their personal details on internet forums, I tend to agree with Amolitor. Why take the risk if it's not necessary. There are so many 'ad hominem' attacks on internet forums, one cannot be sure whether some of them might lead to an undesirable outcome if one's full name and location is revealed.

One's real name and current residential location need not have any bearing on the validity of any argument one is presenting on an issue.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 04:02:11 am
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Rabanito asks; "You mean, you can teach any student? Or are there students for whom you can not do anything?", and Peter replies; "Before I go down this road with you I need to know your real name...Just so I can do a google search on you, to understand better with whom I'm conversing."

I think Peter's response would have been more appropriate if Rabanito's question had been, "You mean, you can teach me?", but that wasn't his question.


As far as I can judge the answer suggests that if the same question had been asked by some "identifiable" participant it would have been answered and consequently the issue publicly debated.
Including the anonymous participants (!) and for everybody to see.
That doesn't make much sense IMHO.

But if anybody is unwilling to discuss an issue, for whatever the reasons, it is his right to do so and must be accepted

Quote
One's real name and current residential location need not have any bearing on the validity of any argument one is presenting on an issue.
MHO too
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 06:39:39 am
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Rabanito asks; "You mean, you can teach any student? Or are there students for whom you can not do anything?", and Peter replies; "Before I go down this road with you I need to know your real name...Just so I can do a google search on you, to understand better with whom I'm conversing."

I think Peter's response would have been more appropriate if Rabanito's question had been, "You mean, you can teach me?", but that wasn't his question.

Hi Ray,

I would agree with you if I were Ray. I'm not you and the question was directed to me. I think I answered exactly correct for me.... If I'm going to have a discussion with someone, on a topic that's important to me, I like to know with whom I am dealing. One can go fruitlessly down a rabbit hole when anonymity is involved.

Peter 


Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Ray on May 26, 2019, 07:09:39 am

Hi Ray,

If I'm going to have a discussion with someone, on a topic that's important to me, I like to know with whom I am dealing.

Peter

Impossible! Most people don't even know themselves.  ;)  (Of course, I mean know in a meaningful way that would enable them to be creative. I don't think that knowledge of basic details such as name on birth certificate, location and profession, would help much.)

One should be able to gather much more useful information about an anonymous person on the internet by reading his comments on various issues.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 07:44:02 am
Impossible! Most people don't even know themselves.  ;)  (Of course, I mean know in a meaningful way that would enable them to be creative. I don't think that knowledge of basic details such as name on birth certificate, location and profession, would help much.)

One should be able to gather much more useful information about an anonymous person on the internet by reading his comments on various issues.

 True, to be creative is to know oneself, and then work the rest of your life to forget it. Continual discovery in the goal of the artist.

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 08:07:12 am
Impossible! Most people don't even know themselves.  ;)  (Of course, I mean know in a meaningful way that would enable them to be creative. I don't think that knowledge of basic details such as name on birth certificate, location and profession, would help much.)

One should be able to gather much more useful information about an anonymous person on the internet by reading his comments on various issues.

That presuppose the person has had a lot to say. Many people are extemely reticent when it comes to revealing themselves deep down; I refer not to the obvious things such as identifiable identity online, a separate issue, but personally, face-to-face, soul-to-soul.

In many cases this may stem from a lack of interesting experiences (at least in that person's judgement) and so they might feel they have nothing unusual to offer, leading to an inferiority complex not always merited.

Regarding knowing oneself, that's ever a work in progress. The chap who shot those calendars all those years ago is not the same one that would be doing them today. Ditto all of my fashion work, a major difference being that I would have had the courage earlier on to refuse authority on-site and just tell an insecure, interfering client to sit down and go enjoy a gin and tonic, or otherwise distract him/herself from what I was doing. When you are young, you confuse many factors, not knowing whether playing along with an idiot client is the clever solution when the result will inevitably bring its reward (punishment) or, instead, have the fight on the spot, but go home with good pictures. Undoubtedly, even that call will depend on many factors. I had one client turn down a headshot of the model wearing a baseball cap pulled low to hide her eyes but to accentuate her lips: to my great fortune, at that precise moment the MD walked in and saw the proof print and said wow! that's great! The shot made the friggin' cover. Hey ho. (More about the power of serendipity in life?)

But Peter is really dealing with face-to-face life; I can't see him selling art lessons by post!

Rob
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 10:54:32 am

I like to know with whom I am dealing. One can go fruitlessly down a rabbit hole when anonymity is involved.
Peter

My personal opinion is that it is a fantasy to believe that if anybody gets my name and address then he knows ME

You can learn more about my person by looking at my images and my opinions than investigating my phone number.
Then you can guess with whom (what kind of person) you are dealing

And anyway, there is no guarantee that the names and addresses published are true and not just a different alias.
Isn't it?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 11:08:22 am
I provide my real name and link to my photos on FLickr so people can identify me personally and verify if I seem to know what I'm talking about.  It gives my posts credibility, I believe.   I state I live in NJ, USA but don;t give my exact address for security reasons. 

Providing a location like a state or country helps discern a person;s post.  If a discussion was about the camera market in Japan, I'd give the poster who lives and identifies his home town as Osaka more credibility about the subject than a poster in Montana. 

Also, when posters give opinions about editing in post or other suggestions about creating better photographs, I want to see their work.  EVen if they're experts, the process they are recommending may give the kind of results I'm not interested in getting.  Without seeing their work that their procedures create, why would I waste time trying their methods?  The fact is most people are not experts in the first place.  Why would I take their recommendations seriously if they fail to show me their work?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 11:15:00 am
My personal opinion is that it is a fantasy to believe that if anybody gets my name and address then he knows ME

You can learn more about my person by looking at my images and my opinions than investigating my phone number.
Then you can guess with whom (what kind of person) you are dealing

And anyway, there is no guarantee that the names and addresses published are true and not just a different alias.
Isn't it?

Where are your pictures?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on May 26, 2019, 11:45:19 am
I provide my real name and link to my photos on FLickr so people can identify me personally and verify if I seem to know what I'm talking about.  It gives my posts credibility, I believe.   I state I live in NJ, USA but don;t give my exact address for security reasons. 

Providing a location like a state or country helps discern a person;s post.  If a discussion was about the camera market in Japan, I'd give the poster who lives and identifies his home town as Osaka more credibility about the subject than a poster in Montana. 

Also, when posters give opinions about editing in post or other suggestions about creating better photographs, I want to see their work.  EVen if they're experts, the process they are recommending may give the kind of results I'm not interested in getting.  Without seeing their work that their procedures create, why would I waste time trying their methods?  The fact is most people are not experts in the first place.  Why would I take their recommendations seriously if they fail to show me their work?

That sums up my position very well.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 11:50:14 am
That sums up my position very well.

Probably the same for all professional snappers, past or current. If you feel you have nothing to hide, why not?

However, that still requires a sense of awareness about private info; there's a difference between revealing pix and card numbers!

;-)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 12:35:33 pm
Probably the same for all professional snappers, past or current. If you feel you have nothing to hide, why not?

However, that still requires a sense of awareness about private info; there's a difference between revealing pix and card numbers!

;-)

Absolutely! Some people hide in the weeds and snipe...Not my way of making a living.

Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 01:06:26 pm
Where are your pictures?

At LuLa under "rabanito"
I'm always posting some
And some of my opinions as well

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 01:26:39 pm
Rabanito,

In your own words... that's all I ask.

Peter

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 01:26:49 pm
At LuLa under "rabanito"
I'm always posting some
And some of my opinions as well


That provides a problem: seeing an isolated snap now and again fails, utterly, to give a sense of personal style, visual opinions and achievement. You really need access to a portfolio for resolving such issues. If you consider some of my well-known favourite photographers, just an image now and again would never allow the stamp of identity that makes them all so precious to me; they might appear just one hit wonders.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 01:28:57 pm


Also, when posters give opinions about editing in post or other suggestions about creating better photographs, I want to see their work.  EVen if they're experts, the process they are recommending may give the kind of results I'm not interested in getting.  Without seeing their work that their procedures create, why would I waste time trying their methods?  The fact is most people are not experts in the first place.  Why would I take their recommendations seriously if they fail to show me their work?

Well in my opinion I get advice from many people at Lula and from books from whom I'm not aware of having seen ANYTHING of their work.
For one thing I got a head on my shoulders and I can test what they say.
And in less than a year I learned tremendously from those people.
Fraser, Schewe, Digital Dog, van der Wolf and many others. Maybe they don't even exist (I'm sure they do but that's not the point)
I tried their methods and they work. That's why I take them seriously, not because thy live in Montana or in Florida.
Their pictures? I've never seen one if you ask me.
And - my personal opinion - if I want to see the work to be a judge, then I want to see the prints.


Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 01:36:11 pm
Rabanito,

In your own words... that's all I ask.

Petet

Peter. A little out of context.
Without going into a deep argument, the poster was referring to his own photography a "art".
Then you HAVE to show what you are talking about.
If we discuss my "art" (God forbid!  ;), then I'd refer you to "rabanito" in lula. You don't need my real name or address, do you?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 01:38:57 pm
Well in my opinion I get advice from many people at Lula and from books from whom I'm not aware of having seen ANYTHING of their work.
For one thing I got a head on my shoulders and I can test what they say.
And in less than a year I learned tremendously from those people.
Fraser, Schewe, Digital Dog, van der Wolf and many others. Maybe they don't even exist (I'm sure they do but that's not the point)
I tried their methods and they work. That's why I take them seriously, not because thy live in Montana or in Florida.
Their pictures? I've never seen one if you ask me.
And - my personal opinion - if I want to see the work to be a judge, then I want to see the prints.


Ah, the prints.

In this age of lost arts, I'd rather see the online version of the work. Many can produce their version of the perfect file, which is as far as they may want to fly, but for prints - that's another ballgame altogether. Having produced prints in both analogue and digital, I know I am predisposed to favouring the look and flavour of those from the darkroom; just a personal bias, but indelibly ingrained in my judgemental senses. A file, seen on my monitor or little iPad, is fair and neutral ground if only because it's now how I see my own product.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 01:41:13 pm
Peter. A little out of context.
Without going into a deep argument, the poster was referring to his own photography a "art".
Then you HAVE to show what you are talking about.
If we discuss my "art" (God forbid!  ;), then I'd refer you to "rabanito" in lula. You don't need my real name or address, do you?

The point is you found it a good thing to look him up...again, that's all I ask. This is the end of it for me.
Thanks for the memories.

Peter

ps

Those gents you mentioned in a recent post, all can be found on line...
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 26, 2019, 01:56:40 pm
On the one hand, we're talking about social norms which neither have, nor require, an excuse.

That said, I find the "I want to see your pictures" statement to be generally without a lot of merit. In general, it's probably actually less work to simply try out someone's suggestion than to dig through some gallery somewhere, guessing about whether or not the person's advice is illustrated in DSC_0294 or, 400 pictures later, in DSC_1279. To my eye, the statement isn't really about whether or not you are checking up on a fellow's suggestion, it's just curiosity, and a desire to pass judgement.

I could, for instance, tell you how to do an enlarger diffusion effect in your favorite photo editing tool, but unless I specifically attached a photo to the description, you'd be pretty much as sea trying to find any samples of the method in my work. If I were to "show you my pictures" you'd get a handful of links to a handful of places which contain a variety of different kinds of things, done over something like a decade. Only a handful of them use "enlarger diffusion." Could you usefully judge what I am doing today from this mess of material? Not really, not as far as I can see.

You could, however, form a judgement of me as a photographer. More precisely, you can form a judgement of how closely my photography hews to your ideas of what constitutes good photography, which leads to, roughly, two outcomes:

1. I'm doing photography pretty much the way you do (i.e. good)  in which case I probably have little to offer you.
2. I'm doing photography quite a bit differently from you do (i.e. bad) in which case you're going to dismiss my suggestions, because I am all wrong.

There's probably a narrow gap in which I am doing photography which is pretty much what you like and do, but there's some technique I am using which you have yet to master. May I suggest youtube?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 02:18:37 pm
Everyone in forums is giving their advice.  How do you discern quality and experience, one from the other?   
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 02:21:36 pm
At LuLa under "rabanito"
I'm always posting some
And some of my opinions as well


I'm sorry but I don't know how to find your pictures.  I checked your "profile" page but can't find them.  What am I missing?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on May 26, 2019, 02:27:57 pm
On the one hand, we're talking about social norms which neither have, nor require, an excuse.

That said, I find the "I want to see your pictures" statement to be generally without a lot of merit. In general, it's probably actually less work to simply try out someone's suggestion than to dig through some gallery somewhere, guessing about whether or not the person's advice is illustrated in DSC_0294 or, 400 pictures later, in DSC_1279. To my eye, the statement isn't really about whether or not you are checking up on a fellow's suggestion, it's just curiosity, and a desire to pass judgement.

I could, for instance, tell you how to do an enlarger diffusion effect in your favorite photo editing tool, but unless I specifically attached a photo to the description, you'd be pretty much as sea trying to find any samples of the method in my work. If I were to "show you my pictures" you'd get a handful of links to a handful of places which contain a variety of different kinds of things, done over something like a decade. Only a handful of them use "enlarger diffusion." Could you usefully judge what I am doing today from this mess of material? Not really, not as far as I can see.

You could, however, form a judgement of me as a photographer. More precisely, you can form a judgement of how closely my photography hews to your ideas of what constitutes good photography, which leads to, roughly, two outcomes:

1. I'm doing photography pretty much the way you do (i.e. good)  in which case I probably have little to offer you.
2. I'm doing photography quite a bit differently from you do (i.e. bad) in which case you're going to dismiss my suggestions, because I am all wrong.

There's probably a narrow gap in which I am doing photography which is pretty much what you like and do, but there's some technique I am using which you have yet to master. May I suggest youtube?

How about you are liberally handing out information on which cameras are the best for certain purposes and if anyone dares to disagree with you your typical response would be to denigrate their obvious lack of photographic standards. I take a look at your photos and decide not to take your advice too seriously since your photography is just rubbish.

Obviously the above is merely a example and I am neither implying or saying this has been my experience with you. I can’t actually recall you ever becoming heated about equipment.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 02:28:03 pm
On the one hand, we're talking about social norms which neither have, nor require, an excuse.

That said, I find the "I want to see your pictures" statement to be generally without a lot of merit. In general, it's probably actually less work to simply try out someone's suggestion than to dig through some gallery somewhere, guessing about whether or not the person's advice is illustrated in DSC_0294 or, 400 pictures later, in DSC_1279. To my eye, the statement isn't really about whether or not you are checking up on a fellow's suggestion, it's just curiosity, and a desire to pass judgement.

I could, for instance, tell you how to do an enlarger diffusion effect in your favorite photo editing tool, but unless I specifically attached a photo to the description, you'd be pretty much as sea trying to find any samples of the method in my work. If I were to "show you my pictures" you'd get a handful of links to a handful of places which contain a variety of different kinds of things, done over something like a decade. Only a handful of them use "enlarger diffusion." Could you usefully judge what I am doing today from this mess of material? Not really, not as far as I can see.

You could, however, form a judgement of me as a photographer. More precisely, you can form a judgement of how closely my photography hews to your ideas of what constitutes good photography, which leads to, roughly, two outcomes:

1. I'm doing photography pretty much the way you do (i.e. good)  in which case I probably have little to offer you.
2. I'm doing photography quite a bit differently from you do (i.e. bad) in which case you're going to dismiss my suggestions, because I am all wrong.

There's probably a narrow gap in which I am doing photography which is pretty much what you like and do, but there's some technique I am using which you have yet to master. May I suggest youtube?


In your second paragraph I'd suggest you intentionally miss the point, that point being that the nature of the guy's photographs indeed serve as judgement of his qualifications for passing on advice, and are far more than idle curiosity: they constitute vital information for evaluating merit, as pointed out. Of course, should someone prefer to avoid showing his work, then the natural conclusions will certainly be drawn.

In your third paragraph you actually describe the situation I painted for rabanito: only a website or easily-available collection provides the critical mass and continuity you need to evaluate a general standard of work/merit-or-otherwise.

In your fourth paragraph you hit upon the truth: one needs to decide on your value as a photographer. The second part of that paragraph seems just a diversionary tactic designed to discredit the first, valid part of that message.

Paragraph five is nothing more than two arbitrary concepts designed to fit your tendered proposition.

The last paragraph may be delusionary - without visual proof we are right back in the sticks from whence we were trying to escape!
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 26, 2019, 02:37:02 pm
I am perhaps hampered here by the fact that, over many years I have boiled all my "advice" on how to take better pictures to:

1. Open your god-damned eyes.
2. Feel something.

which places me perhaps outside the envelope of normal forum advice purveyors.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 02:53:15 pm
The point is you found it a good thing to look him up...again, that's all I ask. This is the end of it for me.
Thanks for the memories.

Peter

ps

Those gents you mentioned in a recent post, all can be found on line...
Of course they are. But the important thing is that what they say is sound, not if they publish their addresses, Peter
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 03:01:27 pm

That provides a problem: seeing an isolated snap now and again fails, utterly, to give a sense of personal style, visual opinions and achievement. You really need access to a portfolio for resolving such issues. If you consider some of my well-known favourite photographers, just an image now and again would never allow the stamp of identity that makes them all so precious to me; they might appear just one hit wonders.

Tht's how it is.
There is no conditio a priori for participating in this forum such as having a webpage,a flickpage, an instagram page, a facebook account or whatever.
I JUST DON'T HAVE ANY. 
About one hit wonders. And so what?
I'm not here to show off or prove anything. Come on, Rob...

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 03:04:29 pm
I'm sorry but I don't know how to find your pictures.  I checked your "profile" page but can't find them.  What am I missing?
Click on "rabanito"
Click on "postings"
If you care, looc aat landscape showcase or any other where pics are published.
Portfolios? There is none. Nowhere but at home
I don't understand what the matter is.
If I give you my phone number will you find my pics better?
I doubt it  8)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 03:11:43 pm
Click on "rabanito"
Click on "postings"
If you care, looc aat landscape showcase or any other where pics are published.
Portfolios? There is none. Nowhere but at home
I don't understand what the matter is.
If I give you my phone number will you find my pics better?
I doubt it  8)

That's a diversion.  I didn't ask for your phone number; just your photos.  When I look for a new doctor, I check their credentials to make sure they're not a "quack".   
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 26, 2019, 03:20:50 pm
That is a secondary irritation. I have, occasionally, been asked for my pictures. When I querulously suggest that google could provide some answers, the response is (invariably) a demand that I lead the person by the hand.

Which suggests that the person in question isn't actually that interested, they're just lazily pushing back on me because they don't want to listen. I  cannot speak to how hard it is to find rabanito's pictures, because I don't care. I do know that it takes under a minute to google your way to some of my pictures.

I see no need to sell myself on an internet forum. Nobody is offering me even a small fraction of my hourly rate, here, or anywhere else  on the internet.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 03:24:52 pm
That is a secondary irritation. I have, occasionally, been asked for my pictures. When I querulously suggest that google could provide some answers, the response is (invariably) a demand that I lead the person by the hand.

Which suggests that the person in question isn't actually that interested, they're just lazily pushing back on me because they don't want to listen. I  cannot speak to how hard it is to find rabanito's pictures, because I don't care. I do know that it takes under a minute to google your way to some of my pictures.

I see no need to sell myself on an internet forum. Nobody is offering me even a small fraction of my hourly rate, here, or anywhere else  on the internet.

This is a serious question.  How would I find you photos on the internet?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: amolitor on May 26, 2019, 03:30:54 pm
Seriously?

I have a username on here, which, while not unique in the world is fairly distinctive. You could google it by itself and see what pops up. You could say to yourself 'self, I am interested in his photographs" and google instead my username with the word "photographs" added to the search. The results I get, which to be fair may not be quite what you get, contain a number of obvious misses "Joseph Molitor" probably is the wrong guy, and a few possibles, which are the right thing.

If you googled "amolitor photography" you'd likely get an even richer set of hits.

Would you know a priori that this particular Andrew Molitor is the guy you're talking to right now? No. But still, the natural next step is to click on one or more of the possible hits to see if it's the right guy (it is, and it ought to be pretty obvious.)

Now, this wouldn't work if i were named "John Smith" but it works fine for my own, not terribly common, name.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 03:56:42 pm
That's a diversion.  I didn't ask for your phone number; just your photos.  When I look for a new doctor, I check their credentials to make sure they're not a "quack".

I'm not sure if you know what the origin of this discussion is.
I asked a question related to teaching in an Art School and I was told that without knowing who I am I wouldn't get an answer.
Not whether I am a good photographer, an "artist" or a Neanderthaler.
I accepted the answer. Period.

And now we're discussing the subject "real identity" as a conditio sin qua non for being taken seriously in this forum.
A digression as you may notice.
What has this with being a quack or a professor?
You can read what is written and discuss the matter. Independently of the photographic qualities of the other philosophers.
That's what this Coffee Corner is defined to serve
"A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography."
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 04:00:45 pm
Seriously?

I have a username on here, which, while not unique in the world is fairly distinctive. You could google it by itself and see what pops up. You could say to yourself 'self, I am interested in his photographs" and google instead my username with the word "photographs" added to the search. The results I get, which to be fair may not be quite what you get, contain a number of obvious misses "Joseph Molitor" probably is the wrong guy, and a few possibles, which are the right thing.

If you googled "amolitor photography" you'd likely get an even richer set of hits.

Would you know a priori that this particular Andrew Molitor is the guy you're talking to right now? No. But still, the natural next step is to click on one or more of the possible hits to see if it's the right guy (it is, and it ought to be pretty obvious.)

Now, this wouldn't work if i were named "John Smith" but it works fine for my own, not terribly common, name.

Sorry, but I didn't realize that was your name.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 04:02:36 pm
Still, why not add a link to your profile page?  It would make things a lot easier.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 04:07:20 pm

Ah, the prints.


Well, that's what I do.
If you want to see my work, that's the end product.
The rest is preparatory work. An approximation.
But of course again, that's what I do.
And it is also photography. Isn't it?

Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 04:12:06 pm

[/size]
I'm not sure if you know what the origin of this discussion is.
I asked a question related to teaching in an Art School and I was told that without knowing who I am I wouldn't get an answer.
Not whether I am a good photographer, an "artist" or a Neanderthaler.
I accepted the answer. Period.


And now we're discussing the subject "real identity" as a conditio sin qua non for being taken seriously in this forum.
A digression as you may notice.
What has this with being a quack or a professor?
You can read what is written and discuss the matter. Independently of the photographic qualities of the other philosophers.
That's what this Coffee Corner is defined to serve
"A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography."
[/size]I'm sorry.  I didn't realize that only your diversionary posts are acceptable.  I hope you can forgive me. 
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 04:14:45 pm
I'm sorry.  I didn't realize that only your diversionary posts are acceptable.  I hope you can forgive me.

I don't understand this answer.
I've been always talking respectfully to you, even if we don't agree
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 04:36:26 pm
I don't understand this answer.
I've been always talking respectfully to you, even if we don't agree
It's disrespectful to me when you assume only your posts count. 
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 26, 2019, 04:39:01 pm
It's disrespectful to me when you assume only your posts count.

Was not my intention.
I apologize then
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Alan Klein on May 26, 2019, 04:58:38 pm
Fair enough.  We both have something important to say.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 05:01:20 pm
Tht's how it is.
There is no conditio a priori for participating in this forum such as having a webpage,a flickpage, an instagram page, a facebook account or whatever.
I JUST DON'T HAVE ANY. 
About one hit wonders. And so what?
I'm not here to show off or prove anything. Come on, Rob...

But that's evasion: this is not really specifically about you, as far as I am concerned, but with the general concept of listening or not listening to what people have to say, people who provide no visible reason to believe in anything they say. Those people might be stars in disguise, but unless they show us, we can never know, so why would we allow them to influence us?

I feel the pain about not having a website or other permanently accessible means of showing one's colours on the mast. Before I had a website I would be challenged here every now and again for my views on fashion photography or whatever I happened to have been writing about, and the frustration of not having any visible means of defending myself was almost unbearable. I am certainly a self-confessed digital technophobe, and it took a lot of help and prodding until a French member here put me in touch with Weebly, at which stage, I realised I could hack the relative simplicity of the platform. Better yet, unless I wanted a personal number plate, as it were, it was available free!

The trouble with one-hit wonders, in this context, is obvious: they can provide no consistent track record of sustained visual reliability and/or competency; why believe they know anything? Anyone can get lucky once or twice.

About whether you are here or not here to show off doesn't figure; what figures is whether anyone not able to demonstrate ability should be taken at their word. Sadly, this applies not only to photographers, but to writers on photography too.

;-)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 27, 2019, 08:15:28 am
Better yet, unless I wanted a personal number plate, as it were, it was available free!

;-)
What's a PNP?
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: LesPalenik on May 27, 2019, 09:00:35 am
PNP - Pukaskwa National Park is on Lake Superior, in Northern Ontario, Canada.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/pukaskwa
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 27, 2019, 09:04:50 am
PNP - Pukaskwa National Park is on Lake Superior, in Northern Ontario, Canada.


Ouch! Sorry  ;D

I meant "personal number plate" as told by Rob C
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: LesPalenik on May 27, 2019, 09:22:40 am
You could drive to PNP in a car adorned with a personal number plate.
It's a long drive (over 1,000km northwest from Toronto), but it would be worth a visit. Just watch out for black bears.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 27, 2019, 09:24:36 am
Ouch! Sorry  ;D

I meant "personal number plate" as told by Rob C


The address of your website, if you want it to appear as distinctly free from the otherwise Weebly name-connected version. For that, you pay an annual fee.

No, you don't get anything physical; that's reserved for the analogue world of do-it-yourselfers.

:-)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: LesPalenik on May 27, 2019, 09:45:54 am
You seem to think that Google has all answers  :)
Well I tried it just for fun. Look at the result:

About 8’630’000 results (0.64 seconds)

But I respect your caution. :(
It's your right

That could be a Gerber (i.e. Hans Gerber), rather common Swiss name. 9 million hits on a good day. But Shania Twain, another Swiss citizen, shows almost twice as many hits.
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 27, 2019, 10:01:12 am
That could be a Gerber (i.e. Hans Gerber), rather common Swiss name. 9 million hits on a good day. But Shania Twain, another Swiss citizen, shows almost twice as many hits.
Maybe she sings better  ;)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: LesPalenik on May 27, 2019, 12:43:55 pm
To stay on OP, she might also know more the creativity.
 
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 27, 2019, 02:41:56 pm

No, you don't get anything physical; that's reserved for the analogue world of do-it-yourselfers.

:-)

I see that your licence plates are from Escotland  :D
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 27, 2019, 03:17:35 pm
I see that your licence plates are from Escotland  :D

Islas Baleares.

The car's long gone, and the numbers too, losing the local identification for a new system, a depersonalised set of four numbers and three letters. Meaningless. They should just give the owner a number for life, that goes from vehicle to vehicle and makes identification more simple when it has to be made. I think somebody told me they had a system like that in Germany.

You can retain a specific number in the UK, if you are into these things, and put it on your new car when you buy it. There is a fairly big market, too, for folks who want to buy a plate that exists that uses their initials or part of a name. For example ROB1E was apparently the number of a 50s tv personality, Fyfe Robertson. Luxembourg gave disc jockey Pete Murray the car number 208 after the radio station Radio Luxembourg. G1 and some direct follow-ons are on Glasgow City-father cars, I think, so even civic pride falls tor it. Cars are special, if you make them so. These UK plates can often come as part of an old car and cost thousands of pounds whereas the car itself could be scrap; as a general rule, the shorter the set of letters and numbers and the closer to a buyer's name or initials, the higher the going price. Some car magazines carry pages of so-called cherished numbers for sale.

:-)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: rabanito on May 27, 2019, 04:34:29 pm

Islas Baleares.

as a general rule, the shorter the set of letters and numbers and the closer to a buyer's name or initials, the higher the going price. Some car magazines carry pages of so-called cherished numbers for sale.

:-)

Hehe. I meant the white letter E on the blue field  :)
My car is a old relatively small vehicle with a very low number (no, I'm not telling , one could identify me  8) ) but many people look at it more intently than a pretty girl or a Lamborghini
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Ray on May 27, 2019, 09:17:59 pm
My ex-wife recently persuaded me to buy a new car because the old one was costing more and more to service. She accompanied me to the car sales place. She's very good at bargaining.

When the chosen new car arrived, ready to drive away, registration included, I was amazed at the number plate, which consisted of 3 numbers followed by 3 letters. The 3 numbers represented the month and year of my birth, and the 3 letters are XYY. In other words, X (wife) Why? Why?

Since the sales lady we'd been dealing with knew my partner was my ex-wife, and also knew my birth date, I assumed someone had deliberately chosen this sequence of numbers and letters to create a joke. However, when I looked at the other new cars in the yard, ready for collection, they all had XYY on the number plate, and the numbers were very close to my birth date, so it was probably pure coincidence that I have a registration number that is so easy to remember in my old age, and which didn't have any additional cost.  :D
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 28, 2019, 08:13:34 am
Hehe. I meant the white letter E on the blue field  :)
My car is a old relatively small vehicle with a very low number (no, I'm not telling , one could identify me  8) ) but many people look at it more intently than a pretty girl or a Lamborghini


The E on the blue is obviously secret code (further personalisation), and stands for Ecosse which will one day, if forcibly removed, return to the EEC!

:-)
Title: Re: Creativity
Post by: Rob C on May 29, 2019, 07:52:17 am
https://www.graphicine.com/sarah-moon-i-see-you/

Don't remember if I posted this link before, but it says much about what creativity is actually about.

Rob