Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New LuLa Website  (Read 16471 times)

gregkoz1

New LuLa Website
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:56:37 pm »

I don't know about any of you, but I think confusion has been substituted for content on this website.  I think MR is a genius and have followed this site for many years.  I love his reviews, rants, etc.  I don't think there's much of that anymore and am disappointed.

That's all there is to my feelings.  Give me the old site /MR back any day.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: New LuLa Website
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:34:01 am »

Wow, 2  whole posts and this is what you are complaining about?

Sorry, but you don't strike me as an engaged sort of LuLa member so I'm personally less inclined to give much credence to what you say.

Have you actually tried using the new LuLa format?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:29:19 pm »

Just because a reader of the site doesn't choose to contribute to the forum much, doesn't mean their opinions should be ignored or are wrong.

I tend to agree that the latest version isn't any better to use or read. The version before last seemed to be LuLa at it's best.

texshooter

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:24:30 pm »

I don't know if it's possible (I assume it isn't because no other discussion forum sites have it--that I know of), but it would really be nice to be able to bookmark a reply within a thread so the user can return later to continue reading where he left off. These threads can get long and heavy. I suppose I can keep notes on which page on which thread I last visited. But it would surely be nice. Pardon my rant.

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »

bookmark a reply within a thread

You can do that now.

Click the green title of the reply you wish to bookmark "Re: New LuLa Website" (or that page-turned-down icon to the left of the title) then bookmark with your browser as usual.

Of course, it could be made easier.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:42:58 pm by Isaac »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:00:15 pm »

The forum software is a canned program in a sense and not something like the site is now where we can just add a feature.  We have talked to the forum software about some ideas.  Maybe we'll see something in a future upgrade.

In the meantime we are enhancing things on the site and working hard to get the video portion launched.  Our next big task after the video store is finished is advanced search and indexing.  We have some cool ideas for that.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:21 am »

The first month of the new website has flown by  !

Have been a guest for several years but decided to register and drop a note to say how much I am enjoying the new look and in particular the revamped Feature Articles.
I do not keep count,  but it appears the frequency of new ones has increased together with more photographs within them... which is great.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

Thanks Jeff.  The new system is a lot easier for us to publish in.  We have a lot of good articles being contributed.  Michael, Chris and I are working on numerous articles, videos workshops and other projects.  We also have a few enhancements coming for the site.  It will continue to evolve.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

rweissman

• http://
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »

I've noticed the same thing. I really like the look of the new site, but it also appears, at least given the articles written since the new site went live, that LuLa's focus may be changing. Historically, the site has offered a balance among many subjects, from deep introductions to new techniques (like ETTR),   thorough equipment reviews from the perspective of working photographers concerned with image-landscape image making, to essays (and I use the word deliberately in the sense of being crafted with respect to a higher standard than "articles" on aesthetics and visual composition (like Briot's contributions). Among journalists and serious writers, 'essays' have much higher status that  mere 'reviews' or technical articles.) LuLa has been my favorite site for quite some time, due to the depth of its work and the quality of its photographers/writers who contribute to it. I have been helped immensely by the reviews and articles (and occasionally by essays) at LuLa.

One senses, though, in the material published since the NewLuLa (NewLA?) went live, particularly what is showcased on the home page, that the new site isn't merely new due its design, but new in focus, as well. It appears to this reader that LuLa is now all about aesthetics, criticism and photo-epistemology. How do we know what we see? How do we prepare to recognize what we see? How do we think about preparing to look to see if we can see what we might design to see if we seriously thought about form, function and the aesthetics of seeing?

There's an adage in universities these days, that any Humanities department not explicitly and methodologically pragmatic, will, over time, become increasingly esoteric,  post-structuralist and theoretically inward looking, concerned with theories of knowing.  Seems like LuLa is moving in the same direction--perhaps having "academic" ambitions to ascend to a higher plane on the journalism status hierarchy. If this is so, then I'm assured that the writing will remain outstanding and insightful, but probably of decreasing interest to many readers, including this one, as the epistemology of photography holds little interest beyond the always helpful reminder that aesthetics and composition are at the core of what it means to make memorable images. I fled the University decades ago and couldn't wait to be rid of Big French Theorists like Foucault and Derrida. I"m hoping I'm wrong  that  LuLa is moving in this direction.  But since the new format was introduced, I haven't read one article that I've actually found truly enjoyable or very helpful.

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »

It appears to this reader that LuLa is now all about aesthetics, criticism and photo-epistemology.

I don't think there have been so many "articles written since the new site went live" (one month) that you would be unable to list and categorize them all -- a simple way to see if your concern has any substance.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:41 pm »

"One senses, though, in the material published since the NewLuLa (NewLA?) went live, particularly what is showcased on the home page, that the new site isn't merely new due its design, but new in focus, as well. It appears to this reader that LuLa is now all about aesthetics, criticism and photo-epistemology. How do we know what we see? How do we prepare to recognize what we see? How do we think about preparing to look to see if we can see what we might design to see if we seriously thought about form, function and the aesthetics of seeing? "

Interesting . . . .  We haven't really changed as we still present the same material you mention.  We are in the midst of doing a lens review, a printer review and a camera review.  We have now added book reviews.  We have some really good contributors presenting some great articles on a variety of topics.  True, we don't do a  lot of camera basic articles these days.  Our audience and most photographers have adapted to digital technology and for the most part have mastered their cameras and the technical aspects of the gear they use.  There are many free videos available on line for those that are still looking for that content not to mention many past articles on this site.  Based on what we hear while at workshops and from our readers many are looking to now improve their vision in photography.  We also hear a need for and will be focusing on post processing techniques over the coming months. 

Go through the first 5 pages in the articles tab and I think you will find everything you are mentioning you want and then new material too.  We are very committed to providing the best original content of any photography website.  We have also added Rantatorials that are separate from the article pages.  There are only three of us doing this site, plus some very committed contributors providing articles and essays that can't be found anywhere else.  Throw in our forum and our soon to be launched video section and I believe you won't find a wider variety of content anywhere on the web. 

Maybe we are changing in some ways but so is the industry that we are part of.  Like I mentioned above we have some interesting projects underway. 

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

michael

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »

"...LuLa's focus may be changing".

It isn't so much that our focus is changing as that the industry is changing.

When we began the site we talked about film, darkroom work and scanning. We also started to talk about inkjet printing. (We still do on all counts, except darkroom work).

Then digital cameras came to the fore. Photoshop, Lightroom, Camera Raw and digital processing in all its manifestations were discussed, dissected and taught.

We also did our fair share of aesthetic analysis, and industry navel gazing, because these too have always been grist for our mill.

But now digital imaging per se is the norm. Yes, there's always new gear, but the gap between the middle and the top tier has narrowed considerably, and so there is less to say about the minutia of technological differences between models and brands.

But, if you look at the more than 5,000 pages of content on this site that we've published over the past 16 years I think that you'll discover that there is a consistency of vision and focus. It shifts from time to time, but ultimately we care about the art and craft of photography and the tools that are used to create images. And that's what we write about.

Michael

Ps: Interesting that Kevin and I wrote almost the same thing, just about simultaneously, without discussing it at all. I guess we're on the same page (so to speak).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:20:09 pm by michael »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

I don't think LuLa focus changed with the design change (after one month with it, I like the new design even more). The article of Michael about the Sony a7 II in the Antarctica felt like all the previous articles of Michael, honest review of a combination of camera and lens, I liked a lot also the article of Kevin about silo city... To say the truth, not sure if both articles arrived before of after the site change, but those are the articles that I expect from them...

I also liked the "new" articles, I loved the photographs of Valerie and the article of Peter about how he is getting the images for his new book (maybe the fact that I did a photographic trip to Ireland last year affects my judgement)... I also like the new books reviews, my wallet disagrees...

Now, we only need the video store back, and Michael and Jeff recording the new tutorials for the new things in Lightroom 6...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 05:24:09 pm »

For those that have been waiting, Tapatalk is now working again.  This is a good way to follow the forum on a mobile device.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:48 pm »

I don't think LuLa focus changed with the design change (after one month with it, I like the new design even more).

I think some people simply hate change, particularly when they have no control over the change.

I know for a fact, the only big change with the new web site is that now Michael has a a really good, involved partner with Kevin (to join with Chris). I love the new web site and the things that are changing...well, ok, with the exception of one thing (Kev, you listening?) I really, REALLY miss the What's New function of the old web site...

Ok, I'll admit I rarely visited LuLa from the front door (home page) preferring to go to What's New to see, in a simple column, the new stuff added to the site.

Now, if there's a new article, essay or Rantatorials, I have to go to the specific drop downs and go to that particular section. I find this a step back-particularly when trying to quick view to find the new stuff. So, as good as the new site is, I pine for my old back door to the new stauff. Who do I see about that guys?

Manoli

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 03:41:46 am »

...well, ok, with the exception of one thing (Kev, you listening?) I really, REALLY miss the What's New function of the old web site...
Ok, I'll admit I rarely visited LuLa from the front door (home page) preferring to go to What's New to see, in a simple column, the new stuff added to the site.

So, as good as the new site is, I pine for my old back door to the new stauff. Who do I see about that guys?

I used the What's New page so much , I forgot there even was a front door!

Best way to replicate that functionality is to use a RSS reader( NetNewsWire is one, Vienna another - to name but two ). Use one feed for the site and another for the Forum. Just hope that Kevin increases the Forum feed from the current last 5 to a more reasonable 30 ?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:46:59 am by Manoli »

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:48 pm »

I really [...] miss the What's New function of the old web site...

+1.

And +1 other feature I miss: the 'stay logged in' option. Or do I just overlook it in the new look?
--oops! Found the recipe in the New Forum Tips thread.

Good light!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:15:36 pm by Hening Bettermann »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:23 pm »

The only real reason we had whats new was to do the RSS feed.  Now all articles and rants automatically feed out to what's new.  Plus everything that is new is always on the front page.  Now when we post an a article RSS feeds are posted out as well as social media.  All this used to have to be done manually.  The stay Logged on feature hasn't changed.  Just need to check the box on log in.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Schewe

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:25 am »

The only real reason we had whats new was to do the RSS feed.  Now all articles and rants automatically feed out to what's new.  Plus everything that is new is always on the front page.

Actually, in my attempt at dealing with the new nav, I've discovered that if you click on Articles tab and do NOT select a sub topic, all the categories will display in the order of posting...which is what I actually wanted. Course, the pages only display 5 items per page...but it works for me as a side door if not an actual back door...so, I'm good!

I actually don't really love the tab nav...I know why you did it (to expose more potential content choice). But that's just me.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:00 am »

All in all I would say that the new site is good and a real improvement! Well done!

The only real problem I have found so far is that some old articles seems to be "missing". If I search for "Alain Briot" I will get to a page with results for his essays, but if I click on Photographic Examples – By Alain Briot the page will contain invalid links to the articles linked to.

eg. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/photographic-examples-1-hoodoos.shtml

The essay is still there, bur the real url is: http://luminous-landscape.com/photographic-examples-1-hoodoos/

So some internal links in old articles on the site have not been converted correctly.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up