Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Aperture  (Read 10239 times)

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Apple Aperture
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 08:19:12 pm »

If Apple do RAW conversion, it has to be "best" or it's not worth having. Because they practically force you to use their RAW, it had better darn be best. Or they could really enhance photoshop integration, and I wouldn't care so much about their RAW. Either way, it needs fixing.

Graeme

Graham Welland

Apple Aperture
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 04:43:54 am »

Remembering back to all of the video card reviews I've read in the past for gaming, what I'm most curious about is how consistent the results will be between different brands of video cards. There are differences between manufacturers in how things are rendered (how much is between the drivers and the hardware I can't say of the top of my head) and I wonder if the $1600 NVidia Quadro will produce different results than the ATI 9650 for example. Then there would be the issue of upgrading cards one year to the next. Unless consistency is maintained via Core Image this could be problematic.

If someone with more up to date knowledge on that subject could chime in, I'd be interested in their opinion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You shouldn't see any differences in the rendering, just the dynamic performance. Remember,  that's what color management does for you.

p.s. I'm also in the Aperture disappointed club - my pet peeve is the poor DNG implementation that only supports images in the RAW formats that it ALREADY supports which in my mind is next to useless as a DNG implementation. You can't transfer images shot with non Nikon/Canon/Olympus cameras as DNG files into Aperture at this time.  
Graham

61Dynamic

• http://
Apple Aperture
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 11:07:23 am »

What I'm really needing from it is the ability to burn a CD or DVD directly from Aperture like iTunes does, to have it integrate with Photoshop (File | Open in Photoshop) and then Photoshop being able to save to Aperture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It does export to Photoshop and I thought I read it can burn to disc too.

Am I the only one to feel that Apple is going in the wrong direction with their one-do-it-all Aperture application?

They are mixing 2 very different specialities, which are data Mgt and RAW conversion.

My view is that the killer app will be the asset Mgt tool that integrates seemlessly with the RAW conversion software on the one hand, and the image editing package on the other hand.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think producing an all-in-one is an excellent idea. Tight integration is the primary reason I switched to ACR when Bridge became available in CS2. It's very convenient as long as the app does everything well.

I think the ultimate app would be much like Aperture but it would also allow the option of using a third-party raw converter if you desire.

You shouldn't see any differences in the rendering, just the dynamic performance. Remember,  that's what color management does for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My concerns are non-color management related. Things such as noise, posterization, detail and so-on and so-forth.

Gabe

Apple Aperture
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 07:01:09 am »

Just thought I'd post a follow-up Aperture experience in here:

I had a chance to play with a friend's copy this afternoon, and while I didn't spend any time working with the RAW importer functions, or the image editing facilities (I simply imported a folder full of print-ready TIFFs I had scanned from film and prep'd in PS), the application appears to work quite nicely as a catalogue-building/metadata-editing interface, and I was very pleased with how it simplified the process of building web galleries, organizing groups of images, etc..

I never did run into any of the nasty "slow metadata editing" bugs that haunt the Apple Discussion fora, either... maybe because I've got 4GB of RAM in the dual 2.0 G5, but it's an old machine by today's standards, so  I'm not sure what's up there... the folder I imported is 18GB on the drive though, so I was expecting issues, but instead was very pleased with how well things worked from this point-of-view (and fully realise Apple are billing the app as a RAW-import tool). Being able to use the lupe on a thumbnail to instantly check IQ was a trip.. Very cool indeed

Some parts of the interface bug me though - like the black-on-grey colour scheme and tiny font you can't adjust - but I'm sure learning a few hot-keys would solve those issues in no time..

I'm not sold yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying v2.0 the day its ready. Apple has a habit of making their faithfull beta-test software lately, but they seem to be reliable on massively improving things in later releases for a cost  (he says, having used their .mac service since the day it went "pay", and cursing their recent iLife '06 zero-upgrade BS)

Anyway, I'm content to wait it out for now, but a hefty patch for v.1.0 might just push me over the edge.. there are some things the program does very well right now if you're not concerned with using it as a RAW converter..

Thinking Apple will screw their v.1.0 users with crappy upgrade options and pretty features in 2.0, I entreat their forbearance and remain (patiently),

Gabe
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up