Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving LR Files Between Computers  (Read 3510 times)

hjulenissen

Re: Moving LR Files Between Computers
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:49 am »

I have two separate computers working off of the same image database (located on a NAS).

Computer #1:
Used for editing. *.lrcat resides locally (as Lightroom demands it), on every application exit, the *.lrcat is backed up to the NAS.

Computer #2:
Only used for viewing. I have got a batch script that copies the newest *.lrcat from the NAS prior to launching Lightroom.

This setup works fine for what I do, so long as one does not expect to use Computer # 2 for editing.

All of this is an awkward way of saying: copy the *.lrcat and the image files from A to B, and you will be mostly fine.

Note that things like custom camera profiles needs to be propagated manually.

-h

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:08 am »

I have two separate computers working off of the same image database (located on a NAS).

Computer #1:
Used for editing. *.lrcat resides locally (as Lightroom demands it), on every application exit, the *.lrcat is backed up to the NAS.

Computer #2:
Only used for viewing. I have got a batch script that copies the newest *.lrcat from the NAS prior to launching Lightroom.

This setup works fine for what I do, so long as one does not expect to use Computer # 2 for editing.

All of this is an awkward way of saying: copy the *.lrcat and the image files from A to B, and you will be mostly fine.

Note that things like custom camera profiles needs to be propagated manually.

-h

Great, but this is not a solution to the original question ;) Which was how to not only move images but also to merge the catalog related to these images from one machine to another and merge the catalog information into the main LR catalog on the desktop machine.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 05:54:01 am »

Great, but this is not a solution to the original question ;) Which was how to not only move images but also to merge the catalog related to these images from one machine to another and merge the catalog information into the main LR catalog on the desktop machine.

I might have a reading comprehension problem, but I could not find any of those merging requirements in the original question.

Having said that, I do agree that the best option is to export as catalog as you and others suggested.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 06:42:02 am »

I might have a reading comprehension problem, but I could not find any of those merging requirements in the original question.

Having said that, I do agree that the best option is to export as catalog as you and others suggested.

I reread the original question and strictly speaking your are right. There was no mention that the exported images and catalog information from his desktop should be merged with an existing catalog on the MBP. It was my interpretation that he would do that, but maybe no need as perhaps the pictures were to be shown to somebody else and there should be no other pictures in the exported catalog. In that latter case there would be no need for the import from catalog on the MBP. Simply a copy of the entire exported folder from the iMac would suffice. Then on the MBP simply double click on the lrcat file inside that folder and possibly correct the folder references for the pictures.

hjulenissen

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:56 am »

...Simply a copy of the entire exported folder from the iMac would suffice. Then on the MBP simply double click on the lrcat file inside that folder and possibly correct the folder references for the pictures.
It would have been nice if LR could automagically include dependencies (i.e. custom camera color profile) so that the images in the catalog could be correctly developed using the set of files that were output.

-h

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:59 am »

It would have been nice if LR could automagically include dependencies (i.e. custom camera color profile) so that the images in the catalog could be correctly developed using the set of files that were output.

-h

Good point and it's not that easy to move these profiles from one machine to another. E.g. on the Mac you find them inside the user library which you only get access to via the option key and then navigate all the way down to cameraprofiles. Yes, easy enough if you know :) And as you mention it could be e.g. an option to also move the camera profiles for the pictures included in a catalog export. Another thing is, why does the profile need to reside insode the user library and not in a Lightroom location, e.g. in the catalog folder.

On both my Canon and Nikon cameras I find a significant difference between the built in camera profiles (like e.g. Adobe Standard) and a custom profile made using an xrite colorchecker.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:54 pm »

I just use a single machine, a MBP 15" retina and hooked up to a 30" Dell U3014 in my office. On travel the LR catalog sits in the internal drive and when in office it sits the same place and no need to move anything. Can it be any simpler than this? Overflow of older shoots go to an external Thunderbolt storage in my office. All pictures are in one catalog on the MBP.

No, that's certainly the simplest solution.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up