Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canyon de Chelly guide recommendation needed  (Read 8986 times)

Jim MSP

Canyon de Chelly guide recommendation needed
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:05 am »

I want to see stop and see Canyon de Chelly National Monument in early Oct on my way from MN to AZ . It looks like the entry point is Chinle, AZ. I probably need to make a reservation soon, as the town only has a couple of motels.

Also, it appears I will need a guide. Can anyone recommend (or not) a tour guide for an all day jeep tour?

Thanks,
Jim

Peter McLennan

Re: Canyon de Chelly guide recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:40:04 am »

Contact Alain Briot.  He has an article running on the main page of the LuLa site.

Jim MSP

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:40:58 am »

Contact Alain Briot.  He has an article running on the main page of the LuLa site.

I will. Thanks.

Jim MSP

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »

I will. Thanks.

His listed email abstudio@cybertrails.com  bounced back to me.
Does anyone have an updated one?

Jim MSP

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »

I found alain@beautiful-landscape.com and am trying that one.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

Main motel/hotel is the Thunderbird next to park which also has food. Others are in town, not too far away. Get there the afternoon before to drive the rim and take a look. You need a high-clearance 4wd and the skills to drive through sand, water, quicksand at times.

Guides are (were?) at the HQ and are by the hour and are first come, first served. Never have had a bad guide in the 4 times I've gone through the years, including the time we were caught in the flash flood and came out the following afternoon...with a guide on her first trip. Spectacular!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Jim MSP

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »

Main motel/hotel is the Thunderbird next to park which also has food. Others are in town, not too far away. Get there the afternoon before to drive the rim and take a look. You need a high-clearance 4wd and the skills to drive through sand, water, quicksand at times.

Guides are (were?) at the HQ and are by the hour and are first come, first served. Never have had a bad guide in the 4 times I've gone through the years, including the time we were caught in the flash flood and came out the following afternoon...with a guide on her first trip. Spectacular!

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the Thunderbird. I'll also try to reserve a guide & jeep ahead of time, though I cant imagine that Oct 2 will be busy.

Lesley

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:20:02 am »

On one trip our guide was Sally Tsosie, a retired elementary school teacher who grew up in the canyon. We used our own 4-wheel drive vehicle and she carried on a delightful conversation as we drove. Several times she would say things like, "the archaeologists say that ...., but my grandfather told me ....."
I believe that she will drive her own vehicle, but I'm not completely sure. 

On another trip Adam Teller was our guide and he used his own 4x4 truck. He was also excellent, but Sally was really quite special.

Jim MSP

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:17 am »

On one trip our guide was Sally Tsosie, a retired elementary school teacher who grew up in the canyon. We used our own 4-wheel drive vehicle and she carried on a delightful conversation as we drove. Several times she would say things like, "the archaeologists say that ...., but my grandfather told me ....."
I believe that she will drive her own vehicle, but I'm not completely sure. 

On another trip Adam Teller was our guide and he used his own 4x4 truck. He was also excellent, but Sally was really quite special.

Perfect - I will look them up.
Thanks very much for the names.

Jim

Pete Berry

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »

Jim, the 4-WD tour can be pretty rough on a vehicle, with possible deep mud/sand/water crossings. I'd recommend taking the guide's vehicle unless you have a high clearance truck-based (not a crossover SUV type!) 4-WD vehicle and are into a bit of an off-road adventure, that to me would compromise the visual and informational aspects with the driving concentration needed.

Pete

Jim MSP

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »

Jim, the 4-WD tour can be pretty rough on a vehicle, with possible deep mud/sand/water crossings. I'd recommend taking the guide's vehicle unless you have a high clearance truck-based (not a crossover SUV type!) 4-WD vehicle and are into a bit of an off-road adventure, that to me would compromise the visual and informational aspects with the driving concentration needed.

Pete
Pete - thanks. No question in my mind, we will take the guide's 4-WD jeep. Besides, mine (not 4-WD) will be filled with stuff.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »

Pete

My wife and I spent several months touring every Anasazi ruin we could reach. Towards the end, I ripped the front bumper off my 4WD Silverado 2500 trying to get to a really remote site in the Hovenweep area.

It was totally worth it.

Jim MSP

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:47:47 am »

My wife and I spent several months touring every Anasazi ruin we could reach. Towards the end, I ripped the front bumper off my 4WD Silverado 2500 trying to get to a really remote site in the Hovenweep area.

It was totally worth it.
Another good reason to have someone else drive.

BTW, do you have a link to your photos for your visits?

Misirlou

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

Sadly, no. It was mostly 4X5 stuff, and I've never gotten around to buying a decent scanner. Pathetic, I know.

framah

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:07 am »

Here's a little teaser for you:

]
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Jim MSP

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:53:21 pm »

Here's a little teaser for you:

]

I should report you for publishing a photo that makes me drool about being there.
What a super shot. Where were you exactly for this shot (north or south rim drive?)? And dawn or dusk?
I still need to look up sun rise & sunset times for Oct 2 when I plan to be there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:20:08 pm by Jim MSP »

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 05:39:43 pm »

Jim,

I have a few images on my website about halfway down the landscape gallery if you care to look there. There is one of The Window which is a nice 4 hour adventure out and back, as I remember, passing beyond Spider Rock. Click on the image and there is a little description of getting there. Fall color is usually late October.

Deb Lem was my last guide but I no longer have her number.

Misirlou

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 11:43:23 pm »

Another good reason to have someone else drive.

BTW, do you have a link to your photos for your visits?

Spider Rock, from a pretty crappy flatbed scan of a 4X5. Not my best work ever.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:16 am »

Many great memories and great photos from my several visits to Canyon de Chelly with many friends and colleagues through the years. Thanks for sharing some nice photos, everyone!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Misirlou

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:35:29 am »

Another 4X5 from a few miles down the Canyon from Spider. Not the greatest light that time of day.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up