Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4k displays - whats the catch?  (Read 5449 times)

satybhat

4k displays - whats the catch?
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:59:14 pm »

I ask from the POV of a budding fine art landscape photographer. Through some labourious marketing and networking, I have managed to get a contract for some fine art wall-prints. I shoot with an IQ280 back, workflow = C1Pro + CS6. Tiff, then outsourced for printing. My display is 4 yrs old calibrated HP24 inch ( non-pro grade ) and I am thinking of upgrading. Colour management is important to me. I would like something that is 27-28 inches.
Now we have noticed the new 4k displays coming in at varied prices: 800 USD, ranging up to 3000 USD, with Eizo and NEC not upgrading to 4k resolutions. So what's the catch ?
Is a well calibrated Dell / Sharp / ASUS 4K display as good as a lower resolution Eizo CG ? I am made to believe the gamuts on the newer displays are near 100% 1998-RGB as well.
What am I missing when the dealer here is still pushing me towards Eizo / NEC ?

Thanks

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: 4k displays - whats the catch?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46:22 am »

I had the privilege to test the pre-production NEC PA322UHD. I dare to say it is the best LCD display I ever saw. As expected, the resolution is stunning, but the whole rest is also more than just perfect - the tonal response curve is perfectly linear thanks to 14(16)bit 3DLUT, the uniformity is as good as in smaller PA-series, there's a huge gamut typical for GBr LED backlight, satin diffuser that makes the image clean and vivid, and there's also Optical Compensation Film on board, so there's no trace of black leaking at angle, which is typical drawback of IPS-type panels.
The NEC SpectraView II and Multiprofiler software is not ready yet, but even without it it was so fantastic, that after I gave it back I can't stand my old 30" NEC anymore - the UHD withdrawal symptoms are killing me :D I'm eagerly waiting to buy this magnificent display as soon as it will become available in 3th quarter of this year, and I highly recommend it to anyone who only can afford it ;)
That's the display I've been waiting for the whole of my life!

Even the model was under impression of the monitor she was retouched on ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:41:12 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Pete_G

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »

Envy..envy..Did you get any idea of price?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:59:40 pm »

Did you get any idea of price?

I'm also curious about the price, but unfortunatelly there's no information yet. I suspect it will cost ~3500$ in US.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:01:40 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »

I want one!! (on my way to buy the lottery ticket  ;D)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

I don't need a 32 but wish NEC would make the same in 28 or 30. Eleanor

Envy..envy..Did you get any idea of price?
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

jduncan

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 03:58:03 pm »

I had the privilege to test the pre-production NEC PA322UHD. I dare to say it is the best LCD display I ever saw. As expected, the resolution is stunning, but the whole rest is also more than just perfect - the tonal response curve is perfectly linear thanks to 14(16)bit 3DLUT, the uniformity is as good as in smaller PA-series, there's a huge gamut typical for GBr LED backlight, satin diffuser that makes the image clean and vivid, and there's also Optical Compensation Film on board, so there's no trace of black leaking at angle, which is typical drawback of IPS-type panels.
The NEC SpectraView II and Multiprofiler software is not ready yet, but even without it it was so fantastic, that after I gave it back I can't stand my old 30" NEC anymore - the UHD withdrawal symptoms are killing me :D I'm eagerly waiting to buy this magnificent display as soon as it will become available in 3th quarter of this year, and I highly recommend it to anyone who only can afford it ;)
That's the display I've been waiting for the whole of my life!

Even the model was under impression of the monitor she was retouched on ;)

Did you use scaling or work at the full resolution ?  Did you test in both Mac OS and Windows ?

Eizo is coming too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3aVavJ8op4
Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:10 am »

I'm glad you raised this question, I'm thinking of upgrading to the new(ish) Mac Pro and I'll be looking for a new monitor at the same time.

4K is an option, but I've heard some comments that although it's great for watching movies or game playing it's a poor choice for everyday usage and web browsing as it renders typefaces unreadably small.

Anyone any thoughts or comments?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:35:29 am by Gary Ferguson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up