Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete loss of LLK in a Epson 4900  (Read 10115 times)

tsjanik

Complete loss of LLK in a Epson 4900
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:11:24 am »

I had some troublesome clogs in a 4900, which eventually cleared with the help of a cleaning solution from AIS.  I have been successfully printing for two months, when overnight I lost LLK completely - no nozzles at all in the check.  This seems unlikely to be a simple clog.  Anyone have advice, thoughts or similar experience?

Thanks,

Tom

Georgecp

Re: Complete loss of LLK in a Epson 4900
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:31:24 am »

Hi Tom,

Sorry for your trouble....it is not a new story..in my struggles with this I have had more success with performing an initial ink charge than a power clean.  Either the nozzle is clogged or the ink supply to the nozzle (lines, pumps, etc) has been somehow disrupted.

To perform an initial ink charge you need to use a third party program (epson does not make the function available on the maintenance menu to the best of my knowledge)..the program is called "the adjustment program" and is available from www.2manuals.com.

Whenever I have a total dropout that will not be resolved with a power clean, I perform the ink charge function and the printer is back in business..

Hope this helps..

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:00:08 pm »

Many times what are termed nozzle “clogs” are the result of no ink to the nozzle.  I think this is more common of a problem than actual physical clogs.

If you lose an entire channel, and a single channel power clean doesn’t bring most of it back, it is more likely a problem with the damper, not the head.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:46:19 am by Wayne Fox »

tsjanik

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »

Thanks for the replies fellows.  I may try the ink fill method first, it seems the easier.  George, when using the initial fill command, where does the existing ink in the lines go - out the print head?   Seems it could be very messy.

Wayne, how difficult is it to change the dampers?  Can a so-so mechanic handle it?

Thanks again,

Tom

Georgecp

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32:17 pm »

Hi Tom,

I am pretty sure that the excess ink get drained in the maintenance tank.

Regards,
George

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:30 am »

Not sure ... my partner at my store has gotten pretty good at repairing epsons, and I know he's replaced dampers on several machines, including 4900's.  I'll ask him tomorrow how involved and challenging it is.

tsjanik

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:38 am »

Thanks Wayne.  George, I guess I should have realized the ink would go to the maintenance tank. I'd better get a new one, mine is nearly full from all the cleanings :(.

Tom

tsjanik

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

George and Wayne,

I downloaded the service program and used a CL2 clean before trying the fill command and that was enough to restore LLK  ;D  .  This begs the question of why Epson doesn't have these commands available.  Thanks all.

George when you use the initial fill method, is that command in the same portion of the program used to clear the ink lines?

Tom
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:27:39 pm by tsjanik »

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:40 am »

Stop...... did you try a power clean ? If so OK move on...but it sounds like your head pulled air back in when you were done printing. It is really not that uncommon with these printers. Its not a clog it is an air lock......a power clean does not fire the head so you can't burn it out......it creates a suction and pulls the air out till ink comes. One or two of these cleans and I think you will be fine....

tsjanik

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

Peter,

I tried two cleans and a power clean to no effect.  The CL2 clean in the service program worked however.  I didn't need to use the initial fill, but may someday, hence my question to George.

Tom

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »

George and Wayne,

I downloaded the service program and used a CL2 clean before trying the fill command and that was enough to restore LLK  ;D  .  This begs the question of why Epson doesn't have these commands available.  Thanks all.

George when you use the initial fill method, is that command in the same portion of the program used to clear the ink lines?

Tom
Using alternate cleans is pretty common knowledge by entering service mode, but I guess it’s been a while since anyone really mentioned it.  I almost always clean using one of the alternates in service mode.  I think epson doesn’t mention it because there are so many other things you can do while in service mode to mess the printer up, and most users just want an option.  The default clean uses the most ink and is the most aggressive other than a power clean, and with the 4900 I think you can do a channel power clean from the normal options.  The other cleans are less aggressive and use less ink, often enough to get the head working.

Georgecp

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 03:39:35 pm »

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in responding..I have not been back to the site for a bit..

The "initial ink charge" function is on the same general area of the adjustment program under the same "individual adjustments" section...if I remember it correctly, it is under ink/supply subcategory.

I have used the CL2, CL3 cleanings before also with success and am glad to hear that they worked for you.  The Epson 4900 Maintenance mode does not have an extra deep cleaning function in it that I can find...it may have been there with an earlier version of firmware.  I do not see it now.

My process to keep the 4900 running is this:

1) keep a cigar humidifier inside the printer well with the printer covered (particularly helpful during winter)..I try to keep the humidity at 50%
2) when I get a simple clog - run power clean for affected channel/pair.. works sometimes..if not go to step 3
3) when I get a bad clog - run power clean..if not work run adjustment program CL2; if not work then CL3 for channel/pair.  If still not wok, run initial ink charge for cartridge bank (you can select 1/2 of the cartridges at a time.

Between this and printing some real prints a couple of times a week, I have been able to prevent the major problems that I had with the printer six months ago when I considered scrapping it.  because my head clogs were really bad and I had no confidence that I could manage the printer in the future without serious clogging issues.

Regards,
George

tsjanik

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 09:18:49 pm »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction George.  I might add treatment with cleaning solutions to your list of preventative/remedial measures to keep a x900 operating.  I used solutions from AIS to clear my previous clogs, but I suspect many others are effective at dissolving particulates clogging the head.  It is disappointing that Epson does not supply information on some of the methods to unclog their printers.   At the very least, they could have a users forum for which they could disclaim any responsibility/liability.

Best,

Tom

walter.sk

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »

To perform an initial ink charge you need to use a third party program (epson does not make the function available on the maintenance menu to the best of my knowledge)..the program is called "the adjustment program" and is available from www.2manuals.com.

Whenever I have a total dropout that will not be resolved with a power clean, I perform the ink charge function and the printer is back in business..

Hope this helps..

I have a 3 1/2 year-old lightly-used Epson 4900, and have had to do head cleanings often.  This time I went way too long without printing, and had to do several cleanings and waits overnight.  Then, all the inks were OK but the PhotoBlack, which showed only a few working nozzles no matter how many cleanings I tried. 

I switched to the Matte Black, which seemed to work OK, and then switched back.  Now the PK is completely blocked, and various combinations of cleaning didn't help.  I went on WWW.2manuals.com but couldn't figure out how to get "the adjustment program," despite a search on Epson 4900.  What I did find said Win XP only, and I'm running Win 7 64bit.

Could you clarify for me how to get the program?

tsjanik

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

This should take you to the right page.  Works with Windows 7:

http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?products_id=1365

Good Luck.

walter.sk

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »

This should take you to the right page.  Works with Windows 7:

http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?products_id=1365

Good Luck.
Great!  Many thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes. Can I get by without the service manual? 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:20:32 pm by walter.sk »

cerett

• http://
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »

What is the easiest way to use this adjustment program with a Mac?

walter.sk

Re:Epson 4900 and Adjustment Program problems
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:19 pm »

I downloaded the Adjustment Program and Service Manual for the 4900, and after some struggle was able to get the program to run in XP-Compatible mode on my Win7 machine.  However, I keep getting a message saying
that my printer is either not on or not ready.  I have already disconnected my laser printer.  The 4900 is connected through the network connection, going into my Fios router.  The computer and the Epson Remote Panel have no problem communicating with the printer, nor does Qimage.  Some questions:

1) Do I have to get a superlong USB cable instead of the network connection?
2) Do I have to put the printer into Serviceman Mode or Maintenance Mode instead of the usual way of turning on the printer?
3)  Is there something else that I am missing?

Many thanks, and happy New Year to y'all.

tsjanik

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »

Try using the usb; I had no problem with communication with no need for service mode.  Likely you don't need the service manual, but your printer is a 4900 and it may be useful   >:(

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:08:33 pm by tsjanik »

walter.sk

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

Well, I found a USB extension cord long enough to let me plug in from the computer, and I tried the Service Adjsutment program.  Doing a CL3 cleaning didn't help, so I tried the ink initialization routine.  After a few minutes it stopped and I got "Not Enough Space In Maintenance Tank," or something to that effect.  Arrgh!

But I printed a nozzle check, and low and behold!  The PK ink showed many of the nozzles working, so I sent off to Amazon for a replacement maintenance tank.  I believe things should work out OK after that.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up