Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lytro Illum  (Read 11416 times)

Telecaster

The Lytro Illum
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:09 pm »

Now this I can dig: a camera designed with screen display foremost in mind. Of course the tech involved is pretty cool too.

https://www.lytro.com

-Dave-

robdickinson

Re: The Lytro Illum
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »

Looks like a big improvement and what they should have made firs time.

The promo video is over the top hyperbole, Illium fulfilled my life kind of crap.

40 megaray vs 11 for the old one which frankly sucked on a resolution pov. Is 40 enough? What size images do we get to view on a screen? Do we still need some whacko viewer. Do they have windows software this time?

And the website is an annoying pile of crap.

But still might be interesting.

robdickinson

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »

Hmm apparently equivalent to 5mp ( 2560x1920) - so is enough for most monitors that we have right now, but not all.

How does 1/4000th work with at a fixed f2.0?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »

...over the top hyperbole, Illium-fulfilled-my-life kind of crap...

Looks to me the whole concept is a solution looking for a problem.

dreed

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:56:34 pm »

dpreview has a page for it:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/22/lytro-announces-illum-light-field-camera

So a 5MP camera.

Do you still need to upload to the cloud?

I wonder how long it will be before we have Blade Runner pictures and the Esper machine?

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »

The promo video is over the top hyperbole, Illium fulfilled my life kind of crap.

But still might be interesting.

Yep, the marketing is twaddle. But I like the "compose now, choose point of focus and DOF later" paradigm. Not unlike monochrome RAW pic-takers, Leica Monochrom folks excepted, with regard to b&w tonality. The camera is quite heavy, though, and not cheap.

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:25:08 am »

Interesting v1.5 gadget, but I feel there are far better ways to spend that kind of money.

Concretely speaking a Sigma DP3 quattro for example.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:41 am »

Interesting v1.5 gadget, but I feel there are far better ways to spend that kind of money.

Concretely speaking a Sigma DP3 quattro for example.

Cheers,
Bernard

I tested a DP3 last week. Sadly, it didn't live up to its billing,  a 100 ISO camera is basically useless handheld  because of camera shake on an overcast day - and overcast days are all we get here most of the time. Add to that the fact that the sample tested was  sharp inside the central square of the rectangular image, unsharp outside.

I would assume the Lytro is an equally effective niche gadget, and that some people who like the concept will find a use for it and rave about it and post cat eating mouse images, the others will complain about the Sigma Lytro software and the low ISO or low resolution.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:17:30 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »

I tested a DP3 last week. Sadly, it didn't live up to its billing...

Wait, are you telling me that Quattro is actually a real camera, not an April-1st joke? ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »

Wait, are you telling me that Quattro is actually a real camera, not an April-1st joke? ;)

DP3M is what they are really selling - in the real world you are only allowed to sell "obsolete" products at normal prices, or the dealers boycott you :) So every company announces the next product, and then they start really selling the old one.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:34 pm »

I tested a DP3 last week. Sadly, it didn't live up to its billing ... 

Also ran a first time test last weekend.
No issue with corner resolution or hand held at between 1/100 - 1/250.
Just a small sensor issue ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=73954.msg727919#msg727919

Francesco Carucci

• Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:45 pm »

Looks to me the whole concept is a solution looking for a problem.

It actually has some very interesting professional applications: at the end of all the tech, what you get for each pixel of the image is its color and its distance from the camera. When you have the distance per pixel, you can also guess the normal of the surface at each pixel.

When you have color, depth and normal you can not only simulate depth of field, but also relight the scene.

Imagine a studio shot, the photographer places the model, shoots the image and then adds more lights to the scene after the shot has been taken, on the fly, in front of the art directory. It'd save lots of time in a typical workflow. You can not do the same thing (as quick) in Photoshop cause the normal information is not available.

I here assume the resolution will be one day good enough.
Game Developer Advocate at Google
Facebook|Portfolio|Blog|Shop

OldRoy

• http://
Re: The Lytro Illum/website
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:06:25 am »

The Lytro website is perhaps the worst I have ever seen. An incomprehensible, useless, Design Riot.
Roy

JohnTodd

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:44 pm »

It actually has some very interesting professional applications: at the end of all the tech, what you get for each pixel of the image is its color and its distance from the camera. When you have the distance per pixel, you can also guess the normal of the surface at each pixel.

When you have color, depth and normal you can not only simulate depth of field, but also relight the scene.

But my reading of the original camera was that it isn't measuring the distance to each pixel: it's just talking 16 simultaneous shots, each at a different fixed focus, and then letting you mix and match pixels from each of those 16 planes after the fact - hence the difference between the 'megaray' count and actual resolution.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:46:56 am »

My wife loves her Lytro (1st generation). Best birthday gift I ever bought her. It's just plain fun. No, she won't ever print anything from it. But she's learning a lot about seeing with it. The Illum will be too expensive (for me anyway) for a casual gift.

eronald, it never occurred to me to use a Sigma Merrill handheld. I think of it in pretty much opposite terms from a Lytro. I use it solely on a tripod, for capturing extreme detail. Shots I intend to print and sell. If I want to shoot something handheld, I'll use a DSLR.

MichaelChmilar

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »

But my reading of the original camera was that it isn't measuring the distance to each pixel: it's just talking 16 simultaneous shots, each at a different fixed focus, and then letting you mix and match pixels from each of those 16 planes after the fact - hence the difference between the 'megaray' count and actual resolution.

It is taking simultaneous shots, each from a slightly different viewpoint (not a different fixed focus).

One way to do this is to arrange 16 individual cameras in a 4x4 grid, and fire their shutters simultaneously. All 16 cameras are focused at the same distance. Because you know the camera positions and orientations, you can compute a 4D lightfield from the 16 images. Once you have the 4D lightfield, you can do the refocusing, and various other "tricks". If you search on the keywords 4D lightfield, plenoptic camera, lumigraph, or computational photography, you will find a wealth of information about how the computations are done. Other interesting computation photography topics are coded apertures, coded shutters, computational sensors, etc.

The Lytro achieves the effect by having a 4x4 grid of lenses behind the primary lens of the camera. The result is similar, but the distance between viewpoints is limited by the diameter of the primary lens, ie. each grid lens is "looking" through a small portion of the front element of the primary lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up