Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top of Michigan and lower UP in June 2014  (Read 6694 times)

daleeman

• http://
Top of Michigan and lower UP in June 2014
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:52:14 am »

Greetings,
Heading to the Photostock event for the first time hosted in Harbor Springs MI. Looking for locations others have seen in the area of upper Michigan and the lower points of the UP.

Here is a link to Photostock, if you are interested: www.photostock2014.com

Looking for some out of the way rustic farms, deserted cabins, waterfalls and dramitic clifs and water edge photos.
Any input for that area would be greatly apreciated. I know I will be getting input from others that have been to Photostock, but I am certainly open to any and all ideas.

Lee

Cooner

Re: Top of Michigan and lower UP in June 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:09 am »

If you travel inland from Harbor Springs you'll find many old farms and a landscape of rolling hills. The Leelanau Peninsula is my favorite area in the Northern Lower Peninsula, many old farms and orchards, inland lakes and Lake Michigan shoreline and best of all, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Beside the dunes themselves the park service has bought a number of old farm homesteads scattered around the park.  The Park is a couple of hours south of Harbor Springs.  As far as cliffs and waterfalls, head over the bridge to the UP, the area around Munising has many waterfalls and is the western end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  The cliffs can only be accessed by trail for the most part.  There is a tour boat service in Munising that will follow the cliffs from Lake Superior.  You can also rent a pontoon boat in Munising and explore the cliffs at your own pace.  The western side of the UP has a lot of photo options but I'm not sure how much time you have.

Douglas

daleeman

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:19 am »

These are great leads. Thank you so much.
Have to save a few dollars to go rent a boat, but never thought about that. Great ideas.

Cooner

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:36:56 am »

Your welcome for the tips, I see that part of the event your attending is in Cross Village.  The road between Harbor Springs and Cross is called the tunnel of trees which is a great drive especially in the fall.  When you're in Cross you have to eat at this place http://www.legsinn.com/

SZRitter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:11 pm »

Weird, I live here and I have never heard of this....

Anywho, there are all kinds of old barns and sheds all over the place around here. I even own one (in the midst of collapsing, being scalped for wood).

Locations: For a little in town, visit the Gaslight district in Petoskey, very pretty and classic small town. Bayfront park is another classic spot. Up in Cross Village is a very pretty little church, highly recommended. There are also a lot of small lakes around here, and something called the inland waterway. I highly recommend exploring around those lakes. There are many little spots with many different looks.

It should be mentioned M-119 past Harbor (Tunnel of Trees) is decently tight. Small car or motorcycles are recommended. And for the love of your chosen deity, do not drive an RV through there!

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 03:54:46 pm »

Petoskey - that brings back memories. I haven't seen it for 30 years. The conference sounds fun.

daleeman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »

SZRitter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:09:59 pm »

Just did. Guess I'll see you out there. Will be nice to meet people who don't stare at me blankly when I talk about f-stops and shutter speeds.

daleeman

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:25:58 am »

Outstanding. Looks like it is going to be a good time. A great place to bring out your 4x5, Hassy and other film cameras besides some of the D cameras.

Was talking to my wife this morning about how excited I am go be taking her there and we can go exploring.

daleeman

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:53:00 am »

Given the opportunity to visit the following locations, chich ones would you go to and what would you skip?

Wilderness State Park
Fisherman's Island
Hoeft State Park
Fayette State Park (too touristy maybe?)

Pictured Pocks National Shoreline (3.5 hours one way from where we will be staying)

Cooner

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

I see from your profile that you live in Dayton, assuming that you're driving I'd make my way west and end up on M22 along the Lake Michigan shoreline.  M22 circles the Leelanau Peninsula and features countless photo ops. As far as the other parks you mentioned, I'd skip Fisherman's Island and Hoeft State Park for photography.  Wilderness is noted for doing star photography due to it's remoteness.  If you are going to Pictured Rocks you can easily stop at Fayette on the way up or back from the UP.  I've never found Fayette that busy and nice for photography either early or late in the day.  Assuming you have a a day or more before the conference I'd spend a day in Leelanau, if you circle it on M22 you'll end up in Traverse City from there it's a strait shot up 31 to Harbor Springs.

SZRitter

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:14 am »

Given the opportunity to visit the following locations, chich ones would you go to and what would you skip?

Wilderness State Park
Fisherman's Island
Hoeft State Park
Fayette State Park (too touristy maybe?)

Pictured Pocks National Shoreline (3.5 hours one way from where we will be staying)

Wilderness state park is one of the few designated Dark Areas in the world. Probably one of the best locations you can find for star photography. That said, I haven't been up there yet. Yes, I am a slacker....

Pictured rocks is nice, and if you head up there, there are two others I would do. Tahquamenon Falls State Park is nice and has good access to the falls. Whitefish Point is a personal favorite. Very pretty facilities, and the shipwreck museum is nice.

Also, the drive along US2 has a lot of good shorelines and one really nice bridge.

Oh, and just as a note, US31 in Petoskey is under construction right at the Gaslight, so expect delays right there, or find some of the locals routes to by pass it. They are redoing a bridge this summer, so I am not sure how long it will be under construction.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:34:02 am by SZRitter »

Shalimar Beekman

• Shalimar B Photography - Chicago Photographer of Children
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 10:52:37 pm »

I agree and have made this trip numerous times from Chicago. You'll see some amazing sights all along M22 from Traverse City, up to Suttons Bay, Leland, over to Glen Arbor, Sleeping Bear, Empire and all the way down to Manistee. Start out early and there are a ton of great shots to be had.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:40:41 am by Shalimar Beekman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up