Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom for iPad!  (Read 7432 times)

Misirlou

• http://
Re: Lightroom for iPad!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »

True but the two tools are quite different. My iPhone camera is really easy to lug around but I still find I need to lug around the DSLR. Different tools for different jobs.

Agreed. Personally, I'd rather be lugging a DSLR than a laptop. Of course, if it were still easy and affordable to haul adequate luggage and camera gear on commercial flights, we might not be having this conversation. Or at least I might not. But I've been trying to ditch the computer for a couple of years now.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 10:18:13 pm »

Can you load LR5 on to an iPad air?

Misirlou

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:24 pm »

Can you load LR5 on to an iPad air?

No, Adobe would need to make a dedicated iPad app, and that's what they appear to be getting ready to announce.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 01:09:00 am »

No, Adobe would need to make a dedicated iPad app, and that's what they appear to be getting ready to announce.

Again, you really might wanna wait till the official announcement (the accidental mention on the web site was, well, an accident and doesn't tell the whole story).

You'll just have to wait to see what LR Mobile may mean...(hint, not what some have speculated so far).

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 02:24:40 am »

I have PS Touch on my Android phone and it works well for what it does, given the size of the screen and all... but to me LR is so much more - file management, keywording, processing, printing, etc... Since the current recommendation for LR5 (not the official 'minimum' requirement) is 8-16GB of RAM or more, I can't see being able to do much with raw images on a tablet.  Also, even my 15.6" laptop screen is barely adequate for me.  It might be useful for DAM or pushing around cell phone images, but since (I'm assuming) most people would use it for traveling, slow wifi at hotels, cafés, etc. would make it a challenge.  Time will tell.

And no I won't invest in a subscription, but that's a personal preference.

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:27:24 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:28 am »

Due to the very limited storage, I can't imagine myself using my iPad for Lightroom work. Once that barrier is gone, tagging/organising and culling images could probably be handled easily by an iPad.
Francois

hjulenissen

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:36 am »

I'd be happy to see some iPad Lightroom "companion" that was able to read and present my *.lrcat based on the raw library or smart previews. I probably would not want/need the (full) Develop module, but the other modules seems doable and relevant on an iPad. It would be nice to be able to write back changes to e.g. tags to the master file.

I think that $99 a year for such an application is too much.

If my desktop Lightroom could automatically upload image files (raw and/or smart previews) in the original file format + catalog to the cloud for general backup purposes*) as well as for speedy Lighroom IOS edition browsing, then the total value might be $99 a year to me, depending on how well it was executed.

-h
*)say, 100GB/year and the possibility of downloading my raw files untouched at any time irrespective of Adobe applications

Misirlou

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 10:26:14 am »

Again, you really might wanna wait till the official announcement (the accidental mention on the web site was, well, an accident and doesn't tell the whole story).

You'll just have to wait to see what LR Mobile may mean...(hint, not what some have speculated so far).

Will do. I was very much hoping you would weigh in...

Robert55

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 03:17:04 pm »

Hmm, if you were buying an iPad and then added a WiFi enabled external hard drive, it might almost be worthwhile.

AFAIK it is not possible to add external storage that can work with RAW files. There are devices [transcend storjet] that let you copy jpg files to it through an app, but even then you're still working witih the iOS file handling regime

Telecaster

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »

Okay, fair enough. I just hope "LR Mobile" is imaginative and forward looking. It'll have to be to get my $$.

BTW, I use Photogene instead of PS Touch. Photogene works kinda like LR actually...instead of the layered approach you make all your adjustments non-destructively, then render. Your originals (JPEG or RAW) are left untouched.

-Dave-

jeremyrh

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:05 am »

For just editing a photo while you're on a plane, or whatever, Snapseed shows what can be done on an iPad !

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:37 am »

I rather have my ipad ask it I want to sync a lightroom catalog than iphoto. 

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 08:12:04 pm »

I can only see one reason for LR iPad version, but, it's a compelling one.

DAM.

Having smart previews and the library's full functionality would prove great for all that tedious key-wording and metadata tagging. Being able to have the ipad sitting on my lap on the train to work, on my couch, as a passenger in a car enables some work to be done without the need of the computer. Actually, i recon every module except the develop would be useful.

mmm

Misirlou

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:21 am »

I can only see one reason for LR iPad version, but, it's a compelling one.

DAM.

Having smart previews and the library's full functionality would prove great for all that tedious key-wording and metadata tagging. Being able to have the ipad sitting on my lap on the train to work, on my couch, as a passenger in a car enables some work to be done without the need of the computer. Actually, i recon every module except the develop would be useful.

mmm

Exactly. Develop would still be useful so you can judge whether or not you have to back and reshoot something, but DAM is really what I want too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up