Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 help please  (Read 3717 times)

OnTheRopes

Epson 3880 help please
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:13 am »

Hi first post here

Today I recieved and setup my new 3880
I have setup a ICC profile for a chosen paper and run a few prints off via the sheet feeder and all so far so good.

However, how do I print A5 (5.83 x 8.27 inches) fine art paper?
It will not run through sheet feeder with paper set to fine art, though it will if set to photo paper.
If I set a page in CS6 to the above size then it misses some on the print assuming it is a larger paper size.

It is difficult to get this size paper into the feeder.

edit: I have tried rear feeder with no luck and I cannot seem to feed it into front feeder and accept it even though it is set to front feeder in print options

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:34:41 am by OnTheRopes »

StuNY

Re: Epson 3880 help please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »

Do you understand the proper way to load into the rear feeder? You place the paper in until you get resistance, then keep pushing a bit longer and the printer will pull the paper in the rest of the way. If you are just setting the paper in the rear tray it will not feed. I print all my fine art paper prints through the rear feeder as they are generally too thick for the sheet feeder.

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »

And you can load paper the size of what the OP has via the rear feeder, I have done it.

camerashy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »

In addition to the above, you may also need to change the paper thickness and platen gap to 'wide' in paper config.
Dave

OnTheRopes

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:44:06 pm »

Thanks, yes i am pushing it in and it does go into the printer.

The issue is;
I am printing on fine art paper and so select this in the print options.
It then defaults to matte black.

I set the input paper size to A5,  also have tried a custom size.

However the output paper size will not go smaller than A4 which means the alignment is out

StuNY

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »

Interesting.... I had never tried to print A5 but see your problem. Tried it in Photoshop and Lightroom. I get a brief error message when trying to set image size and output size to A5. It says essentially that "A5 can only be used for reducing or enlarging" and resets itself to 8.5x11. Maybe set it up as a custom size? Seems the A5 label has some predetermined settings.

Per your experience, it seems to only effect the rear and front manual feeder, the sheet feeder allows printing at A5. Weird.

Edit: Just tried custom size. Seems for the rear manual feed it won't accept anything smaller than 8x10 according to dialog box? I guess I have never tried to do this before. When I print small I am usually using the sheet feeder. Anybody confirm that they are printing with manual feed at smaller size and matte black ink (in case that makes a difference)?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:13:33 pm by StuNY »

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »

I Think I have printed on 5.5 x 8.5 (custom size, Windows driver) on Exhibition Fiber (gloss black) using the rear feed, but can't check it now.  The implication in the user guide is that only the auto sheet feeder takes sizes smaller than 8.5x11, though, so maybe my memory is wrong.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 06:13:08 pm »

On the 3800 at least, the minimum size for the rear sheet feeder seems to be 8x10, or at least the minimum width seems to be 8".  I print smallish panoramas and cut my 13 x 19 paper to 6.5 x 19. Using Canson Platine, I have to feed it through the rear, and the driver won't accept the 6.5" width.  I have to "fool" the printer by setting the size at 13 x 19, and adjusting the margin so the image will print on my 6.5" sheet.  It's a pain, but once you figure out the margins, it works OK.

OnTheRopes

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 06:31:57 pm »

On the 3800 at least, the minimum size for the rear sheet feeder seems to be 8x10, or at least the minimum width seems to be 8".  I print smallish panoramas and cut my 13 x 19 paper to 6.5 x 19. Using Canson Platine, I have to feed it through the rear, and the driver won't accept the 6.5" width.  I have to "fool" the printer by setting the size at 13 x 19, and adjusting the margin so the image will print on my 6.5" sheet.  It's a pain, but once you figure out the margins, it works OK.
Thanks for all replies
I did read a similar technique for the 3800 somewhere, but for multiple prints I do think that would be rather laborious. I think I will have to change to using photo card instead of fine art and then I can run it through the sheet feeder.

Cheers

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:42 pm »

I did read a similar technique for the 3800 somewhere, but for multiple prints I do think that would be rather laborious. I think I will have to change to using photo card instead of fine art and then I can run it through the sheet feeder.
A5 should feed fine through the sheet feeder, it will take stock as small as 3.5" x 5". Just use Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte as the media type if you want MK ink.

All the same, it is a lot easier using A4 and cutting in two with a paper trimmer.

Brian A

OnTheRopes

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:25 am »

A5 should feed fine through the sheet feeder, it will take stock as small as 3.5" x 5". Just use Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte as the media type if you want MK ink.

All the same, it is a lot easier using A4 and cutting in two with a paper trimmer.

Brian A

Thanks Hugo, the reason for A5 is I am using pre scored cards

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:40 pm »

The 3880/3800 have only 12000 prints before the epson service/maintenance will expire.  Hate to see it go on A5 paper for cards....    For cards use a low cost printer...

Cheers elo
Pages: [1]   Go Up