Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I would appreciate some advice on LF printers  (Read 1714 times)

Garrick L

I would appreciate some advice on LF printers
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:01:03 pm »

Hi Folks, I'm new here so hello to all. I know this probably has been beaten to death, but I am ready to purchase a new 24" printer and I have read a ton of reviews of which most are a couple of years old now and the more I read the more indecisive I seem to get. What I am considering is the following and what I want to ask is since these three printers are very close in price, with the Epson and Canon being the least expensive with current promos. What do you reccomend between these and why. I can buy the Epson 7900 for $2,400 USD and that puts it at the lowest price of the three but I'm scared about the nozzle clogging that I read about.

- Epson 7900
- Canon iPF6300
- HP Z3200

Your input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrick

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: I would appreciate some advice on LF printers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:25:08 pm »

- HP Z3200

Personally, I would be VERY careful about buying anything from HP at this time. There have been reports that HP has ceased stocking parts for their LF printers and the company is trying to decide whether it's a hardware company or a software company. Not a great time for HP, unfortunately...

Between the 7900 and 6300, there's not a lot of difference...the best advice is to make sure you have a good dealer–this is one of those purchases that shouldn't just go to the lowest price but to a dealer that can spend time helping you get up and running and support you after the purchase. Also consider the 3rd party support for papers and profiles (unless you'll be profiling papers yourself).

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:26 am »

I have a Canon 6100 and 8300. After a little more than 1400 square feet of printing, both heads needed to be replaced but prior to that it would start doing frequent deep cleanings which waste A LOT of ink. I replaced the maintenance cartridge about 2 weeks ago and it's already used 20% of its capacity with those cleanings (I replaced both heads recently so hopefully that should stop but the printer didn't successfully identify that the heads needed replacing). The 6100 is a backup machine. After 2 years of use I had to replace both heads. I only made about 5 prints on those heads but just out of the warranty, both heads were dead. I keep these machine on 24/7 so they can run the regular maintenance cleanings to prevent clogging. I also have a humidifier in the room to maintain at least 40% humidity. They are well cared for. The heads should NOT have failed with such light use.

Image quality from the 8300 is fantastic but I've been less than impressed with the reliability. Another note, if you use cut sheets with the 8300 it will scratch your print with certain glossy papers (Epson Exhibition Fibre being one of them). In terms of QA, Canon has a very poor ethic (in my opinion) when it comes to quality assurance that is part of the corporate culture (this opinion is based not just on the 8300, but also experience with the 6100, D30, 10D, 20D, 1DMkII, 5D, 1DMkIII (that camera was the straw that broke this camel's back and was the catalyst for me to sell $20K worth of Canon gear and switch my entire kit to Nikon), 24-70L, 70-200 IS L, 16-35 MkII blah blah blah).

I won't say "don't buy the 6300" as there are many folks who are quite happy with it and have no problems. People (like myself) who have had a bad experience tend to be more vocal (normally I'd blow it off, but I've had issues with just about EVERY piece of Canon gear I've owned and I don't think that's bad luck or a coincidence... my most recent find was that they bundled the wrong firmware updater (one that was several years old) with their v1.25 firmware update for OS X). What I would recommend though is calling a dealer that specializes in large format printers, and that sells all of the models you are looking at (like Shades of Paper or Booksmart Studio if you're in the US) and ask them what their thoughts are. If you call Shades of Paper ask for Jason Adams. He's a really straight shooter and he knows all of these machines really well.

Another thing you might want to research.... find out what each company charges for on site repairs after the warranty expires. I'm not sure about Epson or HP, but Canon charges a flat rate fee of $1400 SO... if all that is broken is a $50 part, you're going to pay $1400 for that. If on the other hand you need a motherboard, transport motor, two heads, a sensor, and the front panel assembly... you still only pay $1400. So... there are cases where that's a bargain but most of the time Canon is going to come out WAY ahead on that one which leads to the other thing you should check: Are there any businesses in your area that provide independent repair services for the model you're looking at. If you call Canon and give them your address they'll give the names and numbers of independent repair centers in your area (Canon's support for their large format printers is really superb, that's one thing they do really well).

Cheers, Joe

Garrick L

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:21 am »

Thanks folks, I appreciate the input. Any more feedback out there?

Cheers,
-Garrick

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:03:09 pm »

I've had an HP3100 for nearly 4 years now with extended warranty. I've had two service calls. The first happened when I inadvertenly installed the wrong firmware update that killed the main board. They fixed it no problem. The second was for a failed fan on the power supply.

I've replaced all the heads after about 3 years. Cheap and easy!

The best  part, when I go to print, its always ready to go. No head cleanings, nozzle checks, etc.

If you print from a roll, the printer is great. If you want to print from sheets, it's a pain. Loading sheets is very touchy. I would not recommend this machine if you primarily want to print sheets.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:01 pm »

I have to agree with John on the above.

I have a Z3200 for about two years and it is an amazing piece of equipment. The only thing I would want on a new model is a redisign of the the paper handling system, Epson is far ahead on that area, IMHO. Besides that it works like a charm: no clogs, stunning print quality, easy mantenance and the built-in spectro makes profiling FUN!

As Jeff mentioned on the first reply, I also read some rumors about HP leaving the LF printers segment and so I asked two different friends that work on HP (one of them works specifically with the LF printers). Both denied that. They said the Z series printers are here to stay. Well... that is not a "proof" of anything as they could be simply repeating the compay´s "mantra", but at least means nothing is happening now.

Best regards. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

You may find feedback on a thread like this somewhat limited, since it has been asked numerous times, and there are many threads.

The search function is very useful - you will find much more useful information by seeing what has already been said rather than the limited amount you might get form asking. I think we've had 3 or 4 such discussions in the past couple of months alone, and I many tire of repeating the same info, and getting into the same canon vs. epson debate all over again.

Garrick L

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »

Totally understood Wayne, I was just looking for some up to date advice as most of what I have searched is well over a year old and the fact that I can buy the 7900 at $2,399.00 shipped makes me wonder if it's the way to go.

Cheers,

-Garrick
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:13:49 pm by Garrick L »

Garrick L

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »

Just thought I would post an update in case any others went to reply to my original post here.

I placed my order for the Epson 7900 which I take delivery this week. I'm excited to get to my own printing. Thanks all who gave me input :)

Garrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up