Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: color checker passport - Leaf Aptus-ii 12 - anyone get this to work?  (Read 4477 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Hi All,
I did an art repro shoot recently of some very wonderful old works for a client, and I shot using cross polarizing filters on the lights and camera.  Normally I shoot these with my multishot back and generate a profile will the color checker passport for that lighting.  This is the first time with the Leaf Aptus-ii 12 and I'm wanting to do the same, but for some reason can't get it to work either with the plugin from Lightroom 3 or from the stand alone application.   I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

I tried saving the file out from LC 11.5, running through the leaf mos converter application both as uncompressed and compressed, and outputing from C1 as DNG.   Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

archivue

Re: color checker passport - Leaf Aptus-ii 12 - anyone get this to work?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »

did you tried compress files from the start... LCC works only on compressed file on the CF card for example !

evgeny

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

I used Leaf 65 (recently sold) with Color Checker Passport.
To open .MOS files in CS5, I do in LC11 either
1. Press Process button to send files to Process Queue. Files will be saved in the Processed folder.
2. Change any parameter in the files (such as, Select All and change Color Temperature by 1Kelvin), then revert back to original value, and save the files in the same location. This is "stupid", but does the trick.

CS5 will open .MOS files after they were saved in LC11. Now create a .DNG from Color Checker Passport .MOS in ACR. Open the .DNG in the Passport software. Generate Profile. Restart ACR, you will see new Profile in corresponded Tab. Now you can open the rest of .MOS files and apply that Profile to them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:24:52 pm by evgeny »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »

Evgeny,
Thanks for the suggestion - tried it, but CCP is still crashing.  Works fine for Canon 5d2 files.  Maybe Aptus 12 files are too big?
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:07:12 am »

I don't know. My MBP has only 8 Gb of RAM and CCP software generate Profile while CS5 and other applications run same time.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:36:49 pm »

I had the same problem, in the standalone software it didn't even work.
With the aptusII7 no problem, I guess they need to make the software better ;)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:07:17 pm »

I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with the X-rite tech who had no ideas. He suggested that I try a smaller file so I tried the 1::1 crop in sensorflex because its a smaller file but it also didn't work.

Leaf product profile is not bad except in the shadows where it is too red.  Still would like to make my own profile for mixed lights/ cross polarized lighting.
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »

Are Phase IQ180 users also affected? If it's simply the amount of data then they should have the same issue.

Luxferre

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »

probably somhow the dng differs... tray to make dng file in photoshop...
www.smitsphoto.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:33:00 pm »

Are Phase IQ180 users also affected? If it's simply the amount of data then they should have the same issue.

I tried exporting an IQ180 file from LR as DNG to use with CCP, and the program crashes.  I'm suspecting Adobe hasn't actually finished the DNG code for the files, so something about the file CCP doesn't like (although you could be right ... just too big).  But I found out today the reason I couldn't export the DNG from C1 is because C1 uses Adobe's code to generate the DNG in C1 and Adobe doesn't have it yet.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:31 pm »

Wayne,
I saw Yair's reply to your post on the other forum.  C1 used to crash on export of the Leaf Aptus 12R DNG but works fine with the last update. I guess the Leaf has been out for a bit longer.   Still the Colorchecker passsport software does not work with the Leaf DNG files as far as I can tell no matter how they were generated - in C1, CS5, LR3...  none are working and the smaller square crop using sensorflex is not working either so not sure if its a file size thing or what.  Definitely frustrating.   I think the Leaf profiles are in general pretty good, but are still showing too much red in the shadows - something Michael R pointed out in his review half a year ago.   

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

jps

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:48:26 pm »

Hi Eric

Just confirming that I have the same issue with color checker.  Give the DNG editor from adobe labs a try - its free. I use it with the 12 files - it is actually IMHO a better / more sophisticated solution.

Cheers
JOHN

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »

Thanks I will try it.
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:21:05 pm »

Ok was able to build profile for the color chart, but what good is it if I can't already apply the LCC of the shoot onto the RAW file first?
Rolleiflex USA

jps

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »

Hi Eric
I dont totally understand the problem you refer to. Just to clarify my workflow with using a cast correction (LCC) - In leaf capture i save the image as a mos(raw) from the cf card with a LCC file applied to it if required - then import the saved image into lightroom and apply whatever profile as required.
It is now possible to apply a custom LCC file in Leaf capture also - with this you just need to save as uncompressed when importing from the card then import into lightroom. I thought you were just using your back on a Hy6? you shouldnt  need to do a LCC for it - it is only really needed for a tech camera -
Its worth playing around with the DNG editor - there are some useful help tips on the adobe labs site - if you like i will PM you a few of my leaf recipes  to play with.

Cheers JOHN

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »

Hi John,
Please do send some to either my e-mail which I think you have or a PM here.  The issue of LCC for art reproduction is not color cast but getting even lighting across the frame so even though there is little color cast with retrofocal lenses its still important.  In C1 its hard to apply a LCC and then save out the file as a DNG or RAW, but it sounds like this is possible in LC?  I will make these on the fly shooting tethered.

Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:25:38 am »

Hi,

Have you tried Adobe DNG Profile Editor?

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

It does a similar job to the CCP software

Best regards
Erik

Hi All,
I did an art repro shoot recently of some very wonderful old works for a client, and I shot using cross polarizing filters on the lights and camera.  Normally I shoot these with my multishot back and generate a profile will the color checker passport for that lighting.  This is the first time with the Leaf Aptus-ii 12 and I'm wanting to do the same, but for some reason can't get it to work either with the plugin from Lightroom 3 or from the stand alone application.   I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

I tried saving the file out from LC 11.5, running through the leaf mos converter application both as uncompressed and compressed, and outputing from C1 as DNG.   Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Eric

Erik Kaffehr

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 02:39:16 am »

EriKKaffehr

see posts above
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up