Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Extension tubes - H system - low quality ???  (Read 7052 times)

design_freak

Extension tubes - H system - low quality ???
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »

Yesterday I helped a colleague at the other photos of product. We used 210mm lens with two extension tubes I'm shocked at how this whole structure was moving a few millimeters. And this meant a change of the frame. In the end we wound up these pictures on the old 503Cw where everything is perfectly folded. It's the fault of those particular units??? Or H system is so Low Quality??? How it looks in Phase One?
Best regards,
DF

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
Re: Extension tubes - H system - low quality ???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:07 pm »

I've used the Hasselblad V system off and on for 40 years and more recently the H system, which I've now sold in favor of Phase One.  In my mind, there is no comparison between the quality of the H system and the superior quality of Phase One.  I abandoned my H since I didn't feel the lenses were truly digital quality, especially compared to my true digital lenses used in my Alpa System.  I use the Schneider LS lens with my Phase One and have never had sharper lenses.  I have one extension tube which I've used and the entire setup remains solid--I've not tried it with 2 extension tubes nor have I ever used extension tubes with the H system, so can't comment on that.  I will say, that in my opinion, Phase One has taken over as the top dog in MF digital photography, and it's superiority in lenses and camera show up with the higher resolution higher MP digital backs which have no room for error. I think I'm being pretty even handed in saying the above--I've always loved Hasselblad, and initially really liked the H system until I started comparing my images taken with the same HR DB with images taken with my Alpa using the view camera true digital lenses.  the open system of the Phase One is also a big point for me.

amsp

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:59 pm »

I think if PhaseOne released a camera body worthy of the new IQ backs and lenses in quality and innovation, then Hasselblad would be in serious trouble. That's the only part of the system lagging behind right now, even though it's nowhere as bad as it's generally made out to be. IMO of course.

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »

Yesterday I helped a colleague at the other photos of product. We used 210mm lens with two extension tubes I'm shocked at how this whole structure was moving a few millimeters. And this meant a change of the frame. In the end we wound up these pictures on the old 503Cw where everything is perfectly folded. It's the fault of those particular units??? Or H system is so Low Quality??? How it looks in Phase One?

Its really something to see this post as I have also experienced the same results with my Hassy 210 and 150 with extension tubes.  Really inferior image quality that I have not experienced with other systems.  Very odd!!

Victor

Nick-T

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:35 pm »

Ahh yet another thread attacking Hasselblad from DesignFreak..

I'm sure DesignFreak used to sell Hasselblads but clearly doesn't any more, I'm thinking there is some back story here.

As for extension tubes I use them daily and don't see any loss of quality, nor would I expect to, maybe the air in your locations is not as optically pure as we have down here...
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »

I use extension tubes with 5 different H lenses and also in a combination of a lens, a teleconverter and an extension tube and haven't experienced any problems. Everything sits in the mount as tight as it should be.

Something was wrong with the particular system you've tried.

donaldt

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:52:01 pm »

ok lets put this straight
if you put an extension tube on your camera, then a lens on the extension, the end result is a rattling product
your options are
-go straight to the service and have them look at it
-be careful not to drop your camera again

not post a topic here asking why it does
thats just in general, even with a Samsung DSLR

and FYR
my H tube works fine

happyman

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:47:26 am »

and FYR
my H tube works fine

same here

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:23:57 am »

Sounds like wear and tear or just plain damage to me. I used 'blads for a few years and I would be lying if I said it was my favorite system but that is a personal thing and there is no arguing that it is a top camera in every way.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:55:34 am »

No no, he is right. I have used my HC210 with extention rings and it moved some mm's too. I used it with the 52mm, 26mm extention ring plus the HTS....guess what if I put some force to the front of the lens I could move it several mm's!! Surely everybody can sense the sarcasm in this post? Nonetheless I actually used this contraption, it worked even though Hasselblad says it should not or it is not recommended.

Designfreak used to sell Hasselblad but no longer and obviously has a debt to settle with Hasselblad in more than 1 way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:50:06 am by Dustbak »

design_freak

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 04:43:02 am »

IQ is ok. Built quality of some elements - not. Configuration not recomend by Hasselblad... In V SYSTEM, everything working fine in any combination. 20 years ago gave to accomplish. And today, with the current technology can not??!!
The most sad thing is the Gentlemen of the Hasselblad resent the comments that are not sucked from the finger.
Best regards,
DF

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:33:21 am »

I think if PhaseOne released a camera body worthy of the new IQ backs and lenses in quality and innovation, then Hasselblad would be in serious trouble. That's the only part of the system lagging behind right now, even though it's nowhere as bad as it's generally made out to be. IMO of course.
I think so , if Hasselblad doesn't change something very soon they will have serious problems, I was a Blad fan I am actually not sure to buy  an Hasselblad again

they much change price quality features , actually they keep the name

Peter Devos

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 07:36:31 am »

Why is it always Hasselblad that gets picked on: lets talk abouth Phase one Mamiya: all Mamiya lenses are optical inferior to the Hasselblad lenses except for the 120mm Macro. Built quality of thye mamiya lenses is crap.  The mamiya AFD123 bodys are not even worth mentioning, the DF is still a joke, even compared to an old H1 from 2004. Phase lenses are abouth the same quality as Hasselblad lenses, not better in no way.... but also cost as much as their hasselblad counterparts. The Phase one backs are ok but also no better than the H backs, except again for the IQ180 probably ( i have not had a chance to buy one to do some good testing.
Abouth the closed system, that is also only marketing bs: only an extreme small percentage of the hasselblad users do consider changing to the mamiya platform, and these people are not the customers a company wants, a phase user that once understand the benifits of the Hasselblad concept will not want an other back. Now it is up to Phase one to come up with a similar good system ( and i am sure they will do so very soon). But at this moment there is no reason to think hasselblad is in any respect inferior to Mamiya/Phase..... no way. ::)

jduncan

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 05:27:20 pm »

Why is it always Hasselblad that gets picked on: lets talk abouth Phase one Mamiya: all Mamiya lenses are optical inferior to the Hasselblad lenses except for the 120mm Macro. Built quality of thye mamiya lenses is crap.  The mamiya AFD123 bodys are not even worth mentioning, the DF is still a joke, even compared to an old H1 from 2004. Phase lenses are abouth the same quality as Hasselblad lenses, not better in no way.... but also cost as much as their hasselblad counterparts. The Phase one backs are ok but also no better than the H backs, except again for the IQ180 probably ( i have not had a chance to buy one to do some good testing.
Abouth the closed system, that is also only marketing bs: only an extreme small percentage of the hasselblad users do consider changing to the mamiya platform, and these people are not the customers a company wants, a phase user that once understand the benifits of the Hasselblad concept will not want an other back. Now it is up to Phase one to come up with a similar good system ( and i am sure they will do so very soon). But at this moment there is no reason to think hasselblad is in any respect inferior to Mamiya/Phase..... no way. ::)

Maybe because nobody at Hasselblad seem to care? How many times have you read bona fide questions about  Hasselblad and have the Phase one people answer (normally in a productive good fail manner) because there is no answer from Hasselblad's David Grover?

It will be different if Hasselblad's  people turn this into a "how to use the extensions for best results" conversation.  That will bore the trolls to dead (not saying that the original poster is a troll), and in cases of legitimate concerns it will be helpful.

Best regards,

James.

english is not my first language, an I k

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:33 am »

I don't know why the perception of this forum being an anti-Hasselblad forum has flourished. To me, I feel the criticism has been quite equally distributed, in fact I think overall, there's been more gripes targeted at Phase One than Hasselblad. Generally the Hasselblad bashing seems to come from a few sources that are louder and more persistent than others. Perhaps that's what gets remembered. Certainly there's a lot of Phase One activity, the owners of the forum are Phase One users, and Doug and I are quite an active presence in our inimitable way, but David Grover of Hasselblad and Yair Shahar of Leaf also make appearances, and actually no one from Phase One does. This paints a different story than what is presented. One should keep in mind that David and Yair also have a lot of other responsibilities that impact their participation, but they do contribute.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:18 am »

Sorry Steve, I disagree with you on this. I have seen a lot of topics opened just to point to one or more weaknesses (perceived or not) of Hasselblad. I have rarely seen this for P1. Indeed  there are even some people that are pretty loud for whatever reason. If what you believe to be the case is actually true, there would be people complaining about this forum being anti-P1 as well. Sofar I have not yet seen those.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:11 am »

Maybe because nobody at Hasselblad seem to care? How many times have you read bona fide questions about  Hasselblad and have the Phase one people answer (normally in a productive good fail manner) because there is no answer from Hasselblad's David Grover?

It will be different if Hasselblad's  people turn this into a "how to use the extensions for best results" conversation.  That will bore the trolls to dead (not saying that the original poster is a troll), and in cases of legitimate concerns it will be helpful.

Best regards,

James.

Excuse me???

First of all thanks to Steve for pointing out that there is no person directly from the Phase One factory commenting.

Secondly, my job title is not "Luminous Landscape Fire Extinguisher" and I don't ruthlessly patrol this forum 24 hours a day looking for Hasselblad subjects.  As Steve also points out people like myself and Yair have numerous other responsibilities, as much as we would love to spend all day on the internet.  Therefore we cannot catch all posts. 

People know who I am, how to contact me, so if they have a question, then please send me a PM and I will answer it ASAP.

Its posts like this that make me rather spend my time on forums such as the Hasselblad Digital Forum and GetDpi.  James, have some professional courtesy please!

Regarding "design_freak" and his instant transition from No1 Fan to No1 Enemy is related to that fact that he used to represent us in an area of Eastern Europe and no longer does, due to not complying with his contractual obligations.

Regarding the Extension tubes.  They share exactly the same fit and mount as the H lenses and therefore I would not expect any abnormal play in their fitment.  Therefore if anyone is experiencing this then it would be wise to call in for a service.

Best Regards,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

gazwas

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:51:11 am »

Regarding "design_freak" and his instant transition from No1 Fan to No1 Enemy is related to that fact that he used to represent us in an area of Eastern Europe and no longer does, due to not complying with his contractual obligations.

That explains it.

Until very recently he was just as vocal with his die hard support of Hasselblad! Always wondered where the overnight hate came from.

As a Phase user I feel the Hasselblad system is a great but with some elements I don't like (hence devoted P1 user) one thing that I've never questioned, especially with the lenses is the build quality.

Must be all in his head.  ::)
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »

David,

Thanks so much for chiming in here. Indeed that does explain a lot. I personally hate to see any rep, distributor, or paid promotor of a product post without a clear acknowledgement of that relationship in their signature or in their posts themselves. Unless I've forgotten it design_freak did not do so before that relationship ended.

There is plenty to gripe about any manufacturer without having to parse through superfluous griping. For the record, as someone who sells the competition, I find the build quality of the Hassy lenses to be excellent.

Please don't let anything like this keep you from continuing your participation on the board. It's great to have you here - great to have direct representation from Hassy. As with most forums the tone is often muddied by a small but more vocal minority.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:39:58 pm by dougpetersonci »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »

Phase lenses are abouth the same quality as Hasselblad lenses, not better in no way.... but also cost as much as their hasselblad counterparts.

It's statements like this that really do kind of irk me re: gripes.

I've used nearly every hassy lens* and every phase/schneider lens enough both in casual use and careful comparisons to call myself an expert. I have no problem saying that there are lenses in the Hassy line that are better all-round lenses than the nearest equivalent in the  Phase/Schneider line. Likewise there are lenses in the Phase/Schneider line which are clear better all-round lenses than then nearest equivalent in the Hassy lineup. And I'm not talking about picking nits or minor differences but significant/meaningful differences in sharpness, chromatic aberration, and lens draw. To muddy up the water even more the Phase/Mamiya platform can accept a huge variety of third party and speciality optics since it has a focal plane in addition to leaf-shutter compatibility.

So any statement that either lens line is "not better in no way" is far too blanket for me and would lead a potential user/buyer to excuse themselves from the deeper research that's needed to determine what's going to work best for them.

*the new mark II versions (David, can you update/clarify us on availability/lead-time on orders of those lenses?) and the HCD lenses which are locked out from use on an H2 body I have not used.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up