Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nec PA241w connection with laptop and calibration  (Read 2736 times)

jimidi

Nec PA241w connection with laptop and calibration
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

Hello everybody.
New to the forum. I need to ask 2 questions:
1.  I'm almost ready to buy the Nec pa241w. I have a laptop with Hdmi (from Nvidia 8600 mGT). I'm thinking of connecting this to the monitor with an hdmi to dvi adapter. I'd like to hear any thoughts for this combination. Is it going to work or should i think of buying a new pc also?
2.  I have an eye1 display2 from xrite but as far as i understand it is useless for this monitor(?). I live in Europe so it is difficult for me to buy the Nec branded eye1 which is best for this monitor.
It is not clear to me if the multiprofiler software can calibrate this monitor without hardware. Could somebody inform me if this is an option?
Thanks in advance.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Nec PA241w connection with laptop and calibration
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:51:46 pm »

Call NEC.  They should be able to provide answers.  I have recently had to call them over similar issues, and found them quite helpful.  The number is on their site.

jimidi

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »

Thanks for the info. I just thought that in such a forum somebody would give me an answer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:47:08 pm by jimidi »

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:34 am »

Thanks for the info. I just thought that in such a forum somebody would give me an answer.

You'd have better luck in the Color Management forum for this type of question. Anyhow... multiprofiler relies upon the monitor's factory calibration and characterization and does not require a puck. Luminance on this screen is entered directly in candellas per meter squared (cd/m^2).

As for the cable, I do DVI out to HDMI in all the time. In theory the formats are electrically compatible and use the same comms protocol so HDMI out to DVI in should work just fine (but I haven't tried that directly).

Your i1 Display 2 while not an ideal puck for the PA241w will still work. The NEC i1D2 pucks have a correction matrix in them. If you can't get the NEC puck, a Spyder 3 might be a better choice. If you know someone who owns an Eye One Pro and you're comfortable using a command line interface, you can actually create a correction matrix for your i1D2 based on measurements from the Eye One Pro (once you've created the ccmx file you no longer need the Eye One Pro) using Argyll CMS which is an open source color management project (if you're not comfortable with command lines though you might find it a bit complicated... there is a program called dispcal GUI which provides a GUI to one of the command line tools for building monitor profiles but it still requires a little bit of know how to get it up and running).

Cheers, Joe

jimidi

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:02:31 am »

Thanks a lot for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up