Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAMBO ULTIMA 23 - What do I need?  (Read 1861 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
CAMBO ULTIMA 23 - What do I need?
« on: April 24, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »

I thinking about building a tilt/shift macro system. I would like to get a Cambo Ultima 23 which I would use with a Phase One digital back.
My questions:

- Do I need to get an adapter to mount my MF digital back on it? If yes, which one?
- How do I trigger the lens?
- Which lens should I get for it?
- Do I need anything else?

Thanks!

lance_schad

Re: CAMBO ULTIMA 23 - What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:35:30 am »

Yes you will need an adapter to attach your digital back to the Cambo Ultima. You have two ways to go, one is using a "live video adapter" which is a plate that goes onto the rear standard that features just a mount for your digital back. This would require you to utilize the Live View function of your digital back. Secondly you could use a sliding back which has a ground glass and a mount. We usually sell the KaptureGroup versions of these types of adapters.

To trigger the lens you would connect a shutter release cable to it and click away, unless you are thinking of using an electronic shutter. Remember on some models of PhaseOne backs you need to wake the DB up first. There are a variety of ways to accomplish this like release the shutter, re-cock and then shoot, use a two-shot cable release which will wake the back up at the same time you release the cable, or use the special sync cable from Phase One that has a little button on the jack that you hit to wake up the camera, then you just release the shutter.

I have had clients who have had very good success with the Schneider Macro Digitar 80mm or 120mm.

I would also recommend a very sturdy tripod and head.

Lance

LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »

KG adapters are good and I can vouch for the Schneider 80mm. I have a P2 and a Hassie back, always tethered...

rhsu

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »

I have had clients who have had very good success with the Schneider Macro Digitar 80mm or 120mm.

Lance

I'm not one of the said "clients" but wish to also vouch for the said two lenses - brilliant lenses!!  I used them with Imacon DBs on Cambo Ultima23 with KG back those early days...  What I also liked about KG gg was that I used my then Hasselblad 6x6 V-prism - bright and good magnification!

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:26:58 pm »

Thank you guys for the info! I have exactly the same questions with cambo Ultima 4x5:-)

Now I am buying Kapture Group Live Video + one shot solution.

What is the best place to get it fast? (in Atlanta) I need to test my back ASAP, and can't without  H1/H2 camera or adapter. If anyone in Atlanta with H1/2 camera and lens can meet me for a cup of coffee, so I can test the back.. It would be great:-)

BTW, when I connect back only to a PC + C1 and turn on Live view, it show diagonal lines (like on the old TV). I assume this is because nothing is attached to a back?

Alex
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

gazwas

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

If your expecting live view like Canon on your Phase back you better get ready for a shock!  :o Those lines you mention are part of the live view picture most of the time. Not sure what Phase did to their setup in the demo videos on their site but I've never got mine to look that good.

Other peoples experience may be different but I've never found live view any use and just don't bother with it. The quality is terrible and near impossible to easily get a good quality picture to focus from. Not to mention the really slow and laggy refresh of the picture and the slowness of the C1 live preview window. I think the way Blad do it with their contrast scale and focusing from the computer was much better. Obviously that won't help you with a Phase/Cambo set up.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:16:46 pm by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:31 am »

Ok, good to know.
I'll got with sliding back option then.
Thank you!
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up