Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley in Feb  (Read 3043 times)

Detlef_g

• http://
Death Valley in Feb
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »

HI ,

i will be mid of februay in the us in the Dallas region and do have 3 days spare time before my next appointment on the West Cost in San Jose.

MY plan is to fly to Vegas and drive to the Death Valley for taking pictures. does it makes sense in February. or are there better place to go at this time.

thanks for your advice.

Detlef

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Death Valley in Feb
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 12:11:45 am »

I think February would be a great time for Death Valley. My one visit there a few years ago was in January and the weather was very comfortable and the light was great for photography. It's also much quieter that time of year; the big tourist crowds don't seem to arrive until later in the year, when it is too hot (for me, anyway).

For a three-day visit, I would pick a few spots fairly close together to explore. Death Valley is vast, and you don't want to spend too much of your time just driving.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jdemott

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

February is a great time to visit Death Valley.  The weather is quite nice that time of year.  Although the wildflowers do not bloom every year in Death Valley, the earliest bloom starts in about mid-February in those years when there are flowers.  There has been some flooding in Death Valley this year and some of the roads are closed at the moment.  You might want to telephone the park rangers and inquire about how many roads are expected to re-open by February. 

There usually aren't many tourists in early February, but President's Day weekend is often a popular time to visit and if the wildflowers are blooming, there may be more visitors in late February.  I would suggest reserving a room if you plan to visit.  If you do visit, I think you will find wonderful photo opportunities.  Another option for a short drive from Las Vegas is Zion National Park, also very nice and usually not crowded at that time of year.
John DeMott

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:53:18 pm »

There are few places in North America that transcend Death Valley for pure inspiration.  If you haven't been, go.  It's probably worth it just to be at Zabriskie Point at dawn to see (and meet) the dozens of photographers there.

dreed

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:12:13 pm »

Of those that have been to Death Valley in February, did you drive out to the racetrack?
If so, what condition was the road in at that time?

Thus far my only trip there was in November last year when the road down to racetrack had just been graded and any ol' car could bump its way down it... just wondering how long the road stays good.

pluton

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:37:55 am »

Phone the visitor center in DVNP.  Ask about the condition of the racetrack road, and when it was last graded.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »

For what it's worth, Eureka Dunes is an excellent location.  Located in the NW corner of the park, it has far, far less traffic than the rest of the park.  The dunes are lovely and the playa there, while smaller than The Racetrack, is still very photogenic.  Consider entering from Big Pine, off US 395.
Pages: [1]   Go Up