Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a 24" photo printer  (Read 5031 times)

lighthunter

Choosing a 24" photo printer
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:27:14 am »

Hi all
Iam going to open a print shop in a place that
1-certfied (epson or canon or ....etc) suuport center in not avaliable >>> but there is a not cerified centers for all printers
2-Genune epson and canon paper is not easy to have.
3-i live 3Km near the sea (so humidity is high)
4-maintanance parts will take long time(4 weeks) to have.
i will store inks and paper because it will take at least 3 weeks to have it if i order it.
i have 2 choices
1-Epson 7900 will cost $6300 to have it in my place
2-canon ipf 6300 will cost $4900 to have it in my place
so i want the best Price/Peformance printer which is durable and needs small and easy maintanace
also i need a printer which easy configured to print in not genune paper and have the least runing costs.
what do you advice me 8)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:29:27 am by lighthunter »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Choosing a 24" photo printer
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:26:35 am »

Get the Canon :)

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

KevinWilliams

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:47 am »

I think you will get nicer results with the epson. The resolution is higher and also the ink tanks will hold more ink than the canon.

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »

I think you will get nicer results with the epson. The resolution is higher and also the ink tanks will hold more ink than the canon.

Based on what? Have you compared prints from both of them on the same paper with profiles built in a consistent manner? Higher resolution does not necessarily equal better print quality.

Cheers, Joe

Shark_II

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:42:21 pm »

I think you will get nicer results with the epson.

I don't.  Get the Canon.

Tom

PS:  Do do see where asking these "which is better, Ford or Chevy" questions end up, right?  Pretty much useless.

lighthunter

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:39:14 pm »

I don't.  Get the Canon.

Tom

PS:  Do do see where asking these "which is better, Ford or Chevy" questions end up, right?  Pretty much useless.
Iam asking which one will suits me better .. am not asking which better canon or epson

KevinWilliams

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

hsmeets

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 04:53:08 pm »

Hi all
1-certfied (epson or canon or ....etc) suuport center in not avaliable >>> but there is a not cerified centers for all printers
i will store inks and paper because it will take at least 3 weeks to have it if i order it.
i have 2 choices
so i want the best Price/Peformance printer which is durable and needs small and easy maintanace
also i need a printer which easy configured to print in not genune paper and have the least runing costs.
what do you advice me 8)

Please take no offence, I don't mean to be rude, smart-ass, cheeky.....but:

You seem to live in a very remote area! some island in the pacific? Kamsjatka in Russia? that prompts to me the question: do you have customers that need/want your service and customer with money to pay for your service??

Cheers,

Huib

Jeff Kott

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »

Here is a comparison for reference:
http://www.find-printers.com/compares/canon_imageprograf_ipf6300_vs_epson_stylus_pro_7900

Wow, if you look at price per pound, the Epson is a real value.    ;D

But seriously, why do the Epsons weigh so much more than the comparable Canons???

Pete Berry

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:03:14 pm »

Hi all
i have 2 choices
what do you advice me 8)

The one unquestionable advantage of the Canon is that the two printheads are easily user-replacable if and when they fail. Now the Epsons do generally have a significantly longer life (at least than the older Canon PF-01 heads), but the Epson replacement is complex, requiring a tech visit.

True printhead clogging is rarely seen in Canons, and if a nozzle burns out, re-mapping takes place to compensate until too many nozzles are gone to do this. I understand that the two heads are now $450 each rather than the previous $600. Search this forum for 7900 problems...

Another rather intangible resason is the Canon Large Format Wikipedia site, which I think is probably unparalled as far as the concentration of information, as well as an active discussion group that can help answer just about any question. You'll find ink consumption data under "Usage" in the FAQ's:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/list/FAQ

Pete

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 12:50:03 am »

In regards to the Canon print heads, did I hear correctly that those require replacement every 4 liters of ink, at $900 a pop?  That's kind of scary, when just the cost of cartridges is scary enough all by itself.

I'm over 17 liters on my original Epson 9880 heads, and while I've suffered emotional stress from the well known Nozzle Wars, I probably haven't flushed away $3600 in ink.

But those Canon x300's look pretty cool!  I could sure use a little extra blue-to-red gamut.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 01:20:28 am »

No, that's not true. The *warranty* is for 4000ml or one year, whichever comes first.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

lighthunter

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 02:57:54 am »

Please take no offence, I don't mean to be rude, smart-ass, cheeky.....but:

You seem to live in a very remote area! some island in the pacific? Kamsjatka in Russia? that prompts to me the question: do you have customers that need/want your service and customer with money to pay for your service??

this situation comes from ploitical problem not the location
i live at the center of the world in a place  where 2million popole live in 350Km2 this place called Gaza Strip

hsmeets

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 06:02:56 am »

this situation comes from ploitical problem not the location
i live at the center of the world in a place  where 2million popole live in 350Km2 this place called Gaza Strip

I see. Yup understand what you are up against.

Either HP, Canon or Epson, none will fault you (expect having bad luck with a "lemon"), each will have it quirks to some extend.

3 years ago I had to choose Epson or Canon. I looked at prints and as far as I was concerned both were up to snuff. I had no need for beeing able to feed rigid material straight through, one thing I liked about the Canon: Photoblack and Mat Black switch is no issue at all, no time or ink lost.

So in the end I let my wallet decide and choose the Canon: printer and maybe 2 new heads in the future were cheaper then the Epson.

3 years using the machine and experienced no issue at all.

But Epson and HP users will tell you equally positive stories/experiences.

And that brings us back to the statement that you can't (in general terms) go wrong with choosing one of the three....

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:04:29 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:07 am »

Having owned and operated 24" inkjets from all 3 of the main manufacturers (Epson 7600, HPZ3100, now Canon iPF6300), I would probably vote for the Canon in your situation. Unless you're right on the Mediterranean coast, Gaza is a very dry place, and you're likely to have some real clogging issues with an Epson. I loved the output with the Z3100, especially in black & white, but at least in my experience it was finicky and complex to operate, with a very buggy driver. By comparison the iPF6300 has been bullet-proof over 6 months of use. Prints are also much tougher and more scratch-resistant, which is more important than you'd think. Nothing like blowing $30 on paper and ink for a large pano, only to find a nasty scratch across the middle of the print from contact with another print.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »

By comparison the iPF6300 has been bullet-proof over 6 months of use.

Obviously a man with a sense of humour!

Pete Berry

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:38:22 pm »

I see. Yup understand what you are up against.

Either HP, Canon or Epson, none will fault you (expect having bad luck with a "lemon"), each will have it quirks to some extend.

3 years ago I had to choose Epson or Canon. I looked at prints and as far as I was concerned both were up to snuff. I had no need for beeing able to feed rigid material straight through, one thing I liked about the Canon: Photoblack and Mat Black switch is no issue at all, no time or ink lost.

So in the end I let my wallet decide and choose the Canon: printer and maybe 2 new heads in the future were cheaper then the Epson.

3 years using the machine and experienced no issue at all.

But Epson and HP users will tell you equally positive stories/experiences.

And that brings us back to the statement that you can't (in general terms) go wrong with choosing one of the three....

Yes, the black-switch demon I had forgetten about - estimates of 45 minutes and $75 of ink to the waste tank with each switch. The math is pretty convincing: 12 one-way switches = one pair of new Canon printheads, not to mention the almost 10 hours out of commission and "watching the grass grow".

Pete

sakharov

• http://veloclub.ru
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

Yes, the black-switch demon I had forgetten about - estimates of 45 minutes and $75 of ink to the waste tank with each switch. The math is pretty convincing: 12 one-way switches = one pair of new Canon printheads, not to mention the almost 10 hours out of commission and "watching the grass grow".

Pete
For current Epson models black ink switch is not an issue. Not like with previous models.
For 7900 it takes 3-5 min and around 3ml of black ink.

narikin

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 05:12:27 pm »

Get the Canon :)

Neil

+1.

I own both. 60" Epson and 44" canon: get the Canon - no clogs, less downtime, no printing a picture and then find a nozzle blocked halfway through, so you wasted time and $ink and $paper.  My Epson was clogged within 48hrs of first startup, and the expensive ink was going down the drain in cleaning cycles.  About the only advantage Epson has is a wider range of paper manufacturer own profiles, though Canon is catching on fast.

My very best wishes to you in Gaza, and sincere condolences for what you are being forced to go through. We are not all blind to your suffering, or the dreadful wrong being done.  please know that.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:15:05 pm by narikin »

lighthunter

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

thank you all
i think i will get the canon

+1.

I own both. 60" Epson and 44" canon: get the Canon - no clogs, less downtime, no printing a picture and then find a nozzle blocked halfway through, so you wasted time and $ink and $paper.  My Epson was clogged within 48hrs of first startup, and the expensive ink was going down the drain in cleaning cycles.  About the only advantage Epson has is a wider range of paper manufacturer own profiles, though Canon is catching on fast.

My very best wishes to you in Gaza, and sincere condolences for what you are being forced to go through. We are not all blind to your suffering, or the dreadful wrong being done.  please know that.

thanks alot my friend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up