Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Ink & PrintHead Replacement  (Read 1702 times)

alanmcf

• http://
Z3100 Ink & PrintHead Replacement
« on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:13 pm »

I bought my Z3100 two and a half years ago and use it only occasionally. Near the end of the first year I extended the warranty. Then ink started expiring which voids the warranty for anything regarding ink. I am getting close to needing to replace my first purchased 130ml MK cartridge while four of the original 69ml cartridges are still in place... meaning I do not print much. I keep the printer running and shake the cartridges occasionally. I read here that ink does not really go bad.

Recently I got a totally clogged MK printhead, cleaned it and got it working, but then got a "Replace Printhead" message that would not go away. I replaced it. Today I got the message on the E-G printhead, fixed it, printed, then got it again on the M-Y, fixed it, printed, then got it again on the E-G. Whew!

Problem is when I buy ink it seems to go "Out of warranty" often within the year. For me that would mean $800 of ink just to keep the Z happy ;(. I do wish I had known all of this before buying the printer (it's not for the occasionally printer), and before buying the extended warranty. Just a rant I guess... and who am I fooling that Epson is any better ;). I get beautiful prints!

Please... comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Alan

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Z3100 Ink & PrintHead Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:30 pm »

Hello Alan, I also have the printer about 3 years now.

I think Mk is the printhead that gets dirty- I have to clean the print head occasionally.
At the moment I have 2 inks out of warranty- that is not a problem. I saw that the inside clock of the z3100 does not work very well - I have to set the date and time now and then.
The clock of course determines when things are out of warranty)

When reinserting printheads after checking/cleaning I often got a message that it was not recognized. after inserting it again ( and sometimes again)  it always works.
( check if there is ink on the contacts or anything.)
I have printed over 200% of the life time with some printheads and they worked still fine.  ( lifetime is about one liter ink per colour)
Since you do not print a lot- very little indeed- i think the first problems will come from rubber parts that dry out. I print about 10 times more and i am at a third of its lifetime.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:55:01 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

alanmcf

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:20 pm »

Thank you Kers... encouraging if I can just get through this stretch. At this moment I am stuck with yet another "reseat E-G printhead" message. It has only gone through 30ml in the last three years because I almost only print matte. I currently have quite a stack of "print alignment" printouts... maybe 15 alignments in the last few days mixed between 3 heads (the MK-R is now new). Lots of ink and paper. I guess I will replace the E-G too. Alan

p.s. I guess my Z is really 3 plus years old with 6 months left on the warranty. I assume it still stands that if you buy the warranty immediately that you get a total of three years, but if you buy it a year after purchase you get a total of almost four years for the same price. Anyway that is how it worked for me.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:31:51 am »

p.s. I guess my Z is really 3 plus years old with 6 months left on the warranty. I assume it still stands that if you buy the warranty immediately that you get a total of three years, but if you buy it a year after purchase you get a total of almost four years for the same price. Anyway that is how it worked for me.

You simply print too little with that machine. I have one that old where only one head is replaced and it prints fine but with all the heads out of warranty and some carts have been at that stage too, now replaced though. Even I do not use the Z3100 enough with a Z3200 also available. I use it for the B&W mainly. I think it has not had more than 5 realignments in time, too little to remember.

Pigment inks settle. In carts, ink tubes, heads.

First of all, whether you need a print or not that printer has to print from time to time. Keep a roll of the cheapest paper in there. Let it print once a week at least and with one of the quadtone media presets that has all inks involved but the GE. You couid repeat a calibration of that media preset. Can be started from the printer panel. Make a custom media preset based on the quad version and call it maintenance paper or something like that. Another media preset to get the GE printing done. Shake the carts every week. It does take some time and media but nowhere near the costs of new heads and carts. Print anything you can think off on that printer. The digital edition of your favorite newspaper for example, it will be cheaper than keeping things fresh that will never be used.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

LGRRRB

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:05:01 am »

You might find it useful to purchase a "Flex Contacts Cleaning Tool" to clean the electrical contacts for your printheads. This tool consists of a plastic applicator and a stack of wet cleaning cloths that attach to the applicator. Since many cloths are supplied, the tool probably will last you a long time. The tool was unavailable for a long time but is available now. Search the web for a good price because prices vary enormously for the same kit.

Randy Bresee
http://www.RandallRBreseePhoto.com
http://Blog.RandallRBreseePhoto.com

alanmcf

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »

Thank you all! I am away for a short bit, but will get with the program and follow most all of this advice as soon as I return. I actually am excited about printing enough for real for myself and maybe friends to keep the printer happy. Alan
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:33:16 pm by alanmcf »
Pages: [1]   Go Up