Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: Flange distance of Rollei 6008 and Mamiya 645  (Read 7971 times)

topgreat

Question: Flange distance of Rollei 6008 and Mamiya 645
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »

Dear every Rollei users,

Does anyone know the flange distance of Rollei 6008 and Mamiya 645? I tried Google, but I could not find them.

I am trying to make an adapter Rollei to Mamiya 645 so I can put my lovely Rollei lenses on my Mamiya AFD II. I know this kind of nonsense and I can use lenses only when wide-open.  To build this adapter, a CNC machine is required. This is my first step before I will use some of my reverse engineering skill to investigate what I can do on leaf shutter issues. To do this, I may have to sacrifice my 6008 Integral body. In addition, I would be appreciated if someone can donate some broken Rollei lenses or cameras to me or provides me interface information of the lens mount.

I switch to Mamiya for a while due to a need for faster autofocus. However, I sill have some Rollei lenses that I want to use.

Thanks,

schaubild

ondebanks

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:56:00 pm »

Quote from: schaubild
http://kzar.net/wiki/Photo/Montures

In every such list I've come across, the Contax 645 is absent. Funny. Anyone know the registration value for the C645?

Harris Edelman

• http://
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:06 am »

Quote from: ondebanks
In every such list I've come across, the Contax 645 is absent. Funny. Anyone know the registration value for the C645?
64mm.

-H.

ondebanks

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:40:40 am »

Quote from: Harris Edelman
64mm.

-H.
Thanks, Harris. So that gives 1.0mm for the thickness of an adapter of C645 lenses to M645 bodies: it certainly could be done. I often wondered about that.

Next question: would any M645 user want this, i.e. are there any C645 lenses which outperform their nearest M645 equivalents? The Mamiya always wins or at least ties on lens speed, and has a much wider range; but maybe there are particular Contax lenses which win on resolution & contrast?

Pesto

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

Next question: would any M645 user want this, i.e. are there any C645 lenses which outperform their nearest M645 equivalents? The Mamiya always wins or at least ties on lens speed, and has a much wider range; but maybe there are particular Contax lenses which win on resolution & contrast?
[/quote]

Both the Contax 120 Macro and/or the 350 f/4.0 come immediately to mind for me as do the 210 and 35mm

ondebanks

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:30 pm »

Quote from: DouglasABenson

Both the Contax 120 Macro and/or the 350 f/4.0 come immediately to mind for me as do the 210 and 35mm

Douglas, thanks. Any specific comparisons you can point me to?

The 35mm Distagon could be a winner if it is better in the corners than the M645's rather astigmatic 35mm. Couldn't ask for more performance centrally, though.

The 350/4 is APO, so it does look like an interesting candidate for adaptation, falling as it does between the M645's manual focus 300/2.8 and 500/4.5 APOs. Personally though, I'd favour the extra stop of the 300/2.8. It's on my "someday..." list.

I gather that the Mamiya and Zeiss 120mm macros are generally considered a tie?

Now as for the 210mm: this one I would doubt. Not even Lucifer himself could make a lens that outperforms Mamiya's 200/2.8 APO   - my sample, anyway.

messar

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:47 pm »

Sounds like an interesting project - If you are interested, I have a small cnc mill and access to good 3d design software (autocad inventor, solidworks).

Matt

Quote from: topgreat
Dear every Rollei users,

Does anyone know the flange distance of Rollei 6008 and Mamiya 645? I tried Google, but I could not find them.

I am trying to make an adapter Rollei to Mamiya 645 so I can put my lovely Rollei lenses on my Mamiya AFD II. I know this kind of nonsense and I can use lenses only when wide-open.  To build this adapter, a CNC machine is required. This is my first step before I will use some of my reverse engineering skill to investigate what I can do on leaf shutter issues. To do this, I may have to sacrifice my 6008 Integral body. In addition, I would be appreciated if someone can donate some broken Rollei lenses or cameras to me or provides me interface information of the lens mount.

I switch to Mamiya for a while due to a need for faster autofocus. However, I sill have some Rollei lenses that I want to use.

Thanks,

tho_mas

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
The 35mm Distagon could be a winner if it is better in the corners than the M645's rather astigmatic 35mm. Couldn't ask for more performance centrally, though.
the Distagon 3.5/35 is simply great... and very sharp to the edges (stopped down). Depending on what you shoot the distortion may be annoying.
I've also heard good things about the Distagon 2.8/45. Obviously my copy is a bit weak so I can't confirm that.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »

Why did you ask about the Rollei 6008? It's a leaf shutter system.

ondebanks

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 06:02:43 pm »

Quote from: Graham Mitchell
Why did you ask about the Rollei 6008? It's a leaf shutter system.
He wants to use his Rollei lenses on his focal plane shuttered Mamiya AFDII. The leaf shutters won't be used - they're irrelevant in this context.
People already use Hasselblad V and Bronica SQ lenses on the Mamiya; this is no different.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:58 am »

Rollei lenses won't work without electronics - even not the aperture. That is to be a problem.
I don't have a signature.

topgreat

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:08 am »

Thanks for all comments. I understand the lenses need electronics. However, when it is wide-opened, it is workable for focal-plane shutter. I don't need a leaf shutter at the first phase. However, electronic parts need some reverse-engineering efforts, which I am trying to do in the next step.

Matt: Thanks for your offer, but I am trying to do it at my place first. I will let everyone know if there is a success.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »

Quote from: Wim van Velzen
Rollei lenses won't work without electronics - even not the aperture. That is to be a problem.

I don't know the spacing differences between the mounts or if there is clearance for the contacts but you can use something like the rollei lens adapter and lens control S to change the aperture.   I've played with this a bit and I got a lens to stay set at a certain f/stop even after being removed.    

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up