Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new Mamiya website  (Read 9349 times)

Mr. Rib

new Mamiya website
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:30:01 am »

There's not a single word about RZ67. It obviously shows what has changed after Mamiya being overtaken by P1, camera bodies in which P1 was not investing probably won't be supported and are seen as obsolete. Although one may say it's not fair to the former Mamiya equipment users, it's what MF branch keeps making us accustomed to (vide initial Leaf Capture software support announcement after P1 soaked in Leaf and other cases).
The big question is whether Mamiya is still producing RZ67 and how long do they plan to produce RZ67 / lenses / accessories. Any info on that?

And about the new website- far from professional, I wonder what their target is. Not even an email address despite marketing section? What the hell..

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
new Mamiya website
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:59 am »

What about the new RZ33?  I assume it can use the rotating RZ backs...

Edit: From Mamiya's RZ33 FAQ,

Q: Can I use my existing RZ67 prism and power winder with the RZ33?
A: Yes.  The RZ33 is compatible with all RZ67 system accessories.

Q: Can I use my RB system lenses with the RZ33?
A: No, only RZ system lenses.

Q: Can I use a film back on the RZ33’s camera body?
A: Yes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:39:19 am by RazorTM »

Mr. Rib

new Mamiya website
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:43 am »

I think you didn't the meaning of my message or maybe I wasn't clear enough.. Well, "new RZ" was introduced quite recently, there's not a single word about it on new mamiya website. Isn't that a bit strange?  My concern is whether RZ67 will still be produced and available or should I start buying everything on ebay to get all my lenses at least one backup..
I'm worried. It would be such a shame, it's a great system in both film and digital.

amsp

new Mamiya website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:55:06 am »

Mamiya's web presence is a complete mess really. You have mamiya.com, mamiya-usa.com, mamiya.co.jp, all with different looks, products, names and now the new website even features a different logo. It's quite confusing and not very consumer friendly. Also, if PhaseOne discontinues the RZ it would be a huge mistake IMO, the interchangeability between the RZ and the 645AF is one of the really nice reasons to choose P1 & Mamiya in the first place, you get two very different camera platforms for your DB.

AlDoori

new Mamiya website
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

Quote from: RazorTM
What about the new RZ33?  I assume it can use the rotating RZ backs...

RZ 33 is a marketing name for a standard RZ proIID equipped with a leaf back with 33 mp.
it is not a new camera, and it has the famous rotating back.

it is obvious, that phase one, in control of mamiya japan, has no interest to continue mamiya still film cameras,
so the mamiya 7, RB, and RZ are discontinued. the ZD and ZD backs are discontinued too.
maybe mamiya stopped these cameras earlier, a wise decission for a mass producing camera maker today.
the 645 AFD III is stopped as well, so the 645 DF is the only camera made by mamiya.

there is also strong evidence, that phase one is kicking the not (mamiya japan owned) national mamiya importers out of business right now.

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/The-New-M...a-ganz-die-Alte

aaron

• http://
new Mamiya website
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:36:21 pm »

Quote from: amsp
Mamiya's web presence is a complete mess really. You have mamiya.com, mamiya-usa.com, mamiya.co.jp, all with different looks, products, names and now the new website even features a different logo. It's quite confusing and not very consumer friendly. Also, if PhaseOne discontinues the RZ it would be a huge mistake IMO, the interchangeability between the RZ and the 645AF is one of the really nice reasons to choose P1 & Mamiya in the first place, you get two very different camera platforms for your DB.

Don't forget mamiya.co.uk  which is so current that it lists the ZD back as 'out now'.  

They should take a look at Hasselblads web presence for some inspiration.

BJL

new Mamiya website
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:56 am »

Quote from: Mr. Rib
There's not a single word about RZ67.
Which Mamiya site are you referring to?
- The Mamiya USA site refers to the "RZ 33", which is a product bundle created by Mamiya US by combining two older products: the RZ67 body and 33MP back. It is not to be expected on Mamiya sites in any other county.
- The Mamiya "mother-site" http://www.mamiya.co.jp/ has the RZ67 and RB67 in the Products links on the front page.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:25:50 am by BJL »

Mr. Rib

new Mamiya website
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:15 am »

I was referring to www.mamiya.com, as I understand it's the most up-to-date Mamiya website. It should be seen as the official site since it's the only site which shows signs of Phase One's ownership of Mamiya. No support section on the new website though, no contact section, no cameras mentioned despite 645DF, few versions of Mamiya website country-wise.. WHAT A MESS!
I'm fully aware of RZ33 being a regular RZ PRO IID body bundled with a digital back. I'm concerned though if RZ PRO IID is even still produced. I'd say it's not.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
new Mamiya website
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

I think there is a lot of conjecture going on in this thread which is unfounded.

Recent history at Mamiya involved some rapidly evolving agreements/structures for international distribution and marketing which has resulted in a mixture of websites which is a bit confusing. I would not read into this much about their priorities and road-plan for any particular product.

Quite the opposite: We have seen an increased focus on the RZ platform in the last several months. I have seen nothing (other than this wholly speculative thread) that indicates the RZ Pro IID is anything other than a current and fully supported system in active development and with a bright future. Phase One / Mamiya just released a firmware update for it's P40+ and P65+ backs in which they further optimized the communication/integration between back and body.

Another for instance: we added the RZ33 to our website this month. We feel strongly that it will appeal to many current/former RZ owners as a highly-integrated digital solution which can take advantage of the huge line of high-quality RZ lenses while continuing to benifit from the open-systems approach that also allows the digital-back component of the package to be 100% compatible with the Mamiya AFD1/2/3 and Phase One AF/DF along with dozens of technical and view cameras. I could go on and on about specific advantages of this system (such as a very economical tilt/shift solution which does not add any glass to the optical pathway and works with any lens for macro-applications like jewelry) but it would just sound like a sales pitch. Suffice it to say having two entire lines of backs which work with both this and an entire 645 system seems like a huge advantage that they will not easily give up
http://www.captureintegration.com/mamiya/rz33/

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:03:15 pm by dougpetersonci »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
new Mamiya website
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:30 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
I think there is a lot of conjecture going on in this thread which is unfounded.

Thanks, Doug, for helping to prevent LL to turn into another DPReview-like FUD forum.

Mr. Rib

new Mamiya website
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:53:19 pm »

My uncertainty is not that unfounded- how come a manufacturer doesn't even _mention_ their camera system at their official website? A company has two lines of camera systems still in production and one doesn't even get mentioned on a website- if that's the case, for me it's unprecedented. I love RZ system, I just hope you are right.
Doug, a bit off-topic but it's interesting- tilt-shift adapter on RZ in terms of focal length  works as a no. 1 extension tube? How much does it limit the focussing if a non-short barrel is used? Is it applicable for portraits? Do you have any info on RZ lenses image circles?

AlDoori

new Mamiya website
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:09:51 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonc
Quite the opposite: We have seen an increased focus on the RZ platform in the last several months.
i am happy to hear that.
of course, the best support would be the development of a sensor of 54x69 mm.
even if this existed, a 90 or 120 mp back might overstress the (excellent) RZ film lenses, making a new lens line necessary.
also, tolerances of rotating back and bellow might be not acceptable, and mamiya might know.

that the RZ is still available on certain markets or on some web sites does not mean that is still in production.
anyway, the RZ on a tripod is very good with digital backs and a joy to use.

tilt-shift adapter on RZ in terms of focal length works as a no. 1 extension tube?
the tilt shift adapter adds about 20mm, like the "spacer for short barrel lenses", less than the no 1 tube of 46mm.
with the 150 and longer both are quite usefull for head and shoulder portraits .

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
new Mamiya website
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

I think its always good to have a platform which allows film AND digital.
Especially when it is a 6x7 or bigger.
One lens - two ways of photography.
That is something which will never happen with the S2 platform for example .... its digitard from the beginning .... so if they don't build an adapter from S to R system (or canikon)  your investment in S lenses is lost for film ...
I believe the RZ has a future.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
new Mamiya website
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:15 am »

Not a single word about RZ! RZ being discontinued! No film camera options for 6x7! RB being discontinued! Mamiya website a mess, sucks! No contact information on Mamiya's website! Mamiya overtaken by P1, film camera bodies not supported anymore! P1 has no interest in film cameras - obviously! Mamiya 645AFDIII discontinued! No support section on the Mamiya website! No cameras mentioned on Mamiya website!

I'm coming a little late to the party but my gosh, did the world end? I guess I better rush right over to the Mamiya website and see...oh...wait...well there's the RZ Pro II D...and the Mamiya DF...the RB Pro SD!....Even the Mamiya AFDIII!

What?

Ok, since I'm in the US, when I enter www.mamiya.com it auto-loads Mamiya-USA.com. And I've been to the Mamiya Japan site. I see the exact opposite of the horrors culled from this thread above. Is there another site originating somewhere that really does display the omissions from above? Seriously, let me know cause I don't see what the fuss is about.

Most everyone knows that Mamiya had many unique and complex agreements with different countries/distributors and that has taken some time to iron out (still is in some places). As such, this is just a first step in the consolidation path of that information and it will evolve. That's my understanding.

But so many negative conclusions were jumped to on this thread it's amazing.

I mean, amen brother, keep film alive, but last time I checked, Mamiya still currently offers more film camera bodies than Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Hasselblad, and Nikon (unless you count the N65...).

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
new Mamiya website
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:33 am »

They should make some better lenses for the Mamamiya 7 II which is an awesome concept ....
And then ...  the digital 6x7 Rangefinder  ..... or ... digital lenses and backs for the Universal ... or .. aaahhhrrggghhh
/me hides and pets his Universal ....

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:59:39 am by ChristophC »

Mr. Rib

new Mamiya website
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:12 am »

"I feel so sorry for mentioning that new Mamiya website is a complete design disaster, both visually and content-related. I would gladly contact Mamiya directly and ask about RZ, but oh..wait..I can't, there's no telephone number or even email address. My bad, I guess I should've known better and browse mamiya-usa.com to get all the info I need, after all it's a customer duty to know about unique and complex agreements with different countries/distributors. Or maybe I should head straight for www.mamiya.pl, their website for my region? Oh, I can't do that because it says 'site is under constrution- or maybe you'd like to buy this domain?'. My camera is not listed or mentioned on Mamiya new website? It's cool, after all medium format industry nowadays is sooo stable and reliable that I can definitely sleep well.." etc etc.
Deriding doesn't bring anything to the discussion. Furthermore I'd suggest reading through posts a bit more thoroughly before laughing out. "I mean, amen brother, keep film alive.."- we are not talking about film here. Neither about the camera being seen as obsolete due to it's film roots. Noone's panicking either, but I had my conerns. I hope that it's just the beginning of merging the websites and that the future of rz is not vague. But why the tone, sheesh...
a sidenote: try clicking any part of accessories section for RZ, RB, 7 II at mamiya-usa.com. It hasn't been working for at least half a year now. If they do care about their former systems, why don't they bring it back online? I don't understand MF policy & marketing. It has to be from a different planet I guess.

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
Not a single word about RZ! RZ being discontinued! No film camera options for 6x7! RB being discontinued! Mamiya website a mess, sucks! No contact information on Mamiya's website! Mamiya overtaken by P1, film camera bodies not supported anymore! P1 has no interest in film cameras - obviously! Mamiya 645AFDIII discontinued! No support section on the Mamiya website! No cameras mentioned on Mamiya website!

I'm coming a little late to the party but my gosh, did the world end? I guess I better rush right over to the Mamiya website and see...oh...wait...well there's the RZ Pro II D...and the Mamiya DF...the RB Pro SD!....Even the Mamiya AFDIII!

What?

Ok, since I'm in the US, when I enter www.mamiya.com it auto-loads Mamiya-USA.com. And I've been to the Mamiya Japan site. I see the exact opposite of the horrors culled from this thread above. Is there another site originating somewhere that really does display the omissions from above? Seriously, let me know cause I don't see what the fuss is about.

Most everyone knows that Mamiya had many unique and complex agreements with different countries/distributors and that has taken some time to iron out (still is in some places). As such, this is just a first step in the consolidation path of that information and it will evolve. That's my understanding.

But so many negative conclusions were jumped to on this thread it's amazing.

I mean, amen brother, keep film alive, but last time I checked, Mamiya still currently offers more film camera bodies than Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Hasselblad, and Nikon (unless you count the N65...).

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

new Mamiya website
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 09:57:11 am »

"I feel so sorry for mentioning that new Mamiya website is a complete design disaster, both visually and content-related. I would gladly contact Mamiya directly and ask about RZ, but oh..wait..I can't, there's no telephone number or even email address. My bad, I guess I should've known better and browse mamiya-usa.com to get all the info I need, after all it's a customer duty to know about unique and complex agreements with different countries/distributors. Or maybe I should head straight for www.mamiya.pl, their website for my region? Oh, I can't do that because it says 'site is under constrution- or maybe you'd like to buy this domain?'. My camera is not listed or mentioned on Mamiya new website? It's cool, after all medium format industry nowadays is sooo stable and reliable that I can definitely sleep well.." etc etc.
Deriding doesn't bring anything to the discussion. Furthermore I'd suggest reading through posts a bit more thoroughly before laughing out. "I mean, amen brother, keep film alive.."- we are not talking about film here. Neither about the camera being seen as obsolete due to it's film roots. Noone's panicking either, but I had my conerns. I hope that it's just the beginning of merging the websites and that the future of rz is not vague. But why the tone, sheesh...
a sidenote: try clicking any part of accessories section for RZ, RB, 7 II at mamiya-usa.com. It hasn't been working for at least half a year now. If they do care about their former systems, why don't they bring it back online? I don't understand MF policy & marketing. It has to be from a different planet I guess.

I did leave open the possibility of not being able to see all of the Mamiya sites, if you'll check my post. I have checked mamiya-usa.com (which, since I'm based there, my browser defaults to) and mamiya.co.jp and I don't see the omissions you mention. So I can only comment on what I see. And I see contact numbers, I see a reasonable amount of data and content listed in a fairly straightforward manner and I see cameras listed. I did check the accessory section at mamiya-usa.com and you're right, no content appears when you click on an individual item. And I'm sorry if my "tone" offended anyone, being a bit cheeky (should know better).

It just seemed to me there were a lot of disparaging comments and innuendo posted that seemed to leap to many innacurrate conclusions. If there's a Mamiya website I can't see that contributes to that, then I can understand the questioning.

Regarding film, I meant that sincerely. If you know my history it's about options - I have always come down on the side of more of them for photographers. So, I didn't say "keep film alive" in jest. And yes I did read through all of the posts and it appeared to me that film and the future of Mamiya film-based cameras was very much a part of the discussion and the concern. Not that I feel Mamiya should be vilified if they did decide to discontinue or limit film cameras. As I pointed out, the whole industry has already gone in that direction, much more so than Mamiya has.

I am told that yes, this is the beginning of a consolidation over the coming weeks in terms of design and content. I guess it would be nice if they would have consolidated everything and simultaneously launched, but I don't know if that is practical or possible.

Steve Hendrix

AlDoori

new Mamiya website
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:59 am »

I guess I better rush right over to the Mamiya website and see...oh...wait...well there's the RZ Pro II D...and the Mamiya DF...the RB Pro SD!....Even the Mamiya AFDIII!
well, according to mamiya.de, the RB system is discontinoued:
"Nach nun 38 Jahren im Markt wird das RB 67 System nicht mehr weiter produziert."
google translate: "After 38 years in the market now, the RB 67 system is not produced anymore."
http://www.mamiya.de/neu_08/index.php?cat=...-67-PRO-SD.html

i doubt that mamiya is producing the 645 AFD III parallel to the 645 DF.
it makes more sense to concentrate on the better camera.

and there are RZ sale outs by the importer on certain markets...

Steve Hendrix

new Mamiya website
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 11:57:50 am »

Quote from: AlDoori
well, according to mamiya.de, the RB system is discontinoued:
"Nach nun 38 Jahren im Markt wird das RB 67 System nicht mehr weiter produziert."
google translate: "After 38 years in the market now, the RB 67 system is not produced anymore."
http://www.mamiya.de/neu_08/index.php?cat=...-67-PRO-SD.html

i doubt that mamiya is producing the 645 AFD III parallel to the 645 DF.
it makes more sense to concentrate on the better camera.

and there are RZ sale outs by the importer on certain markets...

I see. They still show current on other websites. Well, I do wonder how many RB's are being sold these days? Honestly I've been surprised at it's continuing availability for some years now.

I have no doubt Mamiya is focusing on the DF. However, we regularly order 645 AFD III/P1 AF bodies. They are not discontinued. I don't see why they wouldn't concentrate on the DF, and since the AFDIII/AF is still produced, I don't understand how this is a problem. If the AFDIII/AF was discontinued, I would not be happy as that would leave no available Mamiya 645 format film body.

The same goes for RZ. Certain markets may react in different ways. I only know that in the USA there has been a renewed focus on the RZ.

Steve Hendrix

aaron

• http://
new Mamiya website
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »

I did leave open the possibility of not being able to see all of the Mamiya sites, if you'll check my post. I have checked mamiya-usa.com (which, since I'm based there, my browser defaults to) and mamiya.co.jp and I don't see the omissions you mention. So I can only comment on what I see. And I see contact numbers, I see a reasonable amount of data and content listed in a fairly straightforward manner and I see cameras listed. I did check the accessory section at mamiya-usa.com and you're right, no content appears when you click on an individual item. And I'm sorry if my "tone" offended anyone, being a bit cheeky (should know better).

Steve Hendrix

The world is a big place, mamiya-usa.com is the exception when it comes to mamiyas online presence.

Check any of their other sites, the vast majority of them have not been updated in years.

As for mamiya.co.jp, it was last updated in April 2006, it lists the ZD & ZD SLR as 'NEW' and 'DIGITAL REDIFINED', perhaps the ZD is still for sale in Japan?

They would be better off adopting ArcaSwiss' approach to web marketing  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:15:22 pm by aaron »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up