Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Using H4D50 on a view camera tethered  (Read 6653 times)

David WM

• http://
Using H4D50 on a view camera tethered
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:35 am »

I have just put my H4D50 back on a view camera and tethered to phocus. I can't see an option in Phocus to advise Phocus that the back is on a view camera. I know on the Leaf back I enter the info about the camera platform into the DB directly. What is the proceedure with the H4D50 and Phocus?

design_freak

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:30:59 am »

Quote from: David WM
I have just put my H4D50 back on a view camera and tethered to phocus. I can't see an option in Phocus to advise Phocus that the back is on a view camera. I know on the Leaf back I enter the info about the camera platform into the DB directly. What is the proceedure with the H4D50 and Phocus?

Hi,
Read manual :-) You can download it from www.hasselblad.com

You need to set at back :
Menu => Settings => Camera => View Camera

Br
Design Freak

Best regards,
DF

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:00:36 am »

Quote from: design_freak
Hi,
Read manual :-) You can download it from www.hasselblad.com

You need to set at back :
Menu => Settings => Camera => View Camera

Br
Design Freak
Is the H4 any different to the H3 in this respect?

Does this actually make any difference to what Phocus does with the image?

Does Phocus not assume that a view camera was used if it gets no camera data?

I will be using my H4D-60 mostly on a Sinar P3 view camera.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:03:50 am »

a bit off topic, but any of you having any issues powering your H4D back with firewire on the view camera?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:22:40 pm »

Hook up your back to the firewire first. Do not start Phocus yet. You should now be able to set the back to 'view camera' via the menu on the back. After this you can start Phocus.

David WM

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

Thanks Dustbak, I was hoping that Hasselblad would have a more user friendly system than Leaf.  The idea of quitting software to make changes is not appealing, and I don't understand why it couldn't be done from Phocus. But at least you can still power the back by firewire while making the change.  With Leaf I had the situation of shooting with H1 tethered to laptop, then deciding to change to Cambo wide. I needed to disconnect firewire, connect battery, make change to camera type, remove battery, reconnect firewire, make software changes as to which camera connected, reconnect camera in software.

Unfortunately it looks like Hasselblad will be clumsy as well. It looks like its just a matter of quitting Phocus while the camera type  is reselected in the DB, but the crunch looks like you must change the shutter speed in the software as well as on the shutter when doing long exposures, say in the range half sec  to 15 sec which I use a lot. It will make bracketing very tedious, unless I am misunderstanding the proceedure.

I have not been using the H4D50 on a view camera much yet. I haven't sold my Aptus 75s  yet until I get more familiar with the blad, and have still been using the Aptus for view camera work..it is convenient having its own battery. I have now got the Big Wave external battery which I will be trying on the blad soon. I have had a few issues tethering to macbook pro with the H4D50 (not with view camera) where the connection was just lost but later returned without any apparent reason. It is a 10 m fw cable which has done a fair bit of work, but it works OK in studio connected to Mac Pro (tower) . I have just received a new cable and it looks like I'll be giving it a good workout tomorrow, so, may have some feedback then.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:36:51 am »

David with the Aptus you can change the camera type in Leaf Capture/ Capture One. You don't need to use a battery like you have discribed above.

Hope this helps,

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Professional

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »

Which view camera i can use with my H Hasselblad camera? I was looking around on the net for any view camera to use with my H3D(H4D) camera, so any help?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:39:26 am »

Pretty much anything that accepts a H-mount back, eg. A Rollei X-Act2. I happen to have one for sale ....

Professional

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:49 am »

Where i can find that Rollei Xact II new? Or anything similar?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:51:13 am »

The Rollei is discontinued. Many other view cameras are discontinued as well. I reckon the Sinar P3 or the Linhof are not (and there are more, like Silvestri) but I would not dare to say that with certainty. I think you will have a hard time getting a new view camera for your H back. Yes, most people will tell you they can deliver one to you but ask for a firm delivery date or don't be surprised having to wait for one for a pretty long time.

Most of the discontinued cameras are still making great images and can still be serviced. I think there is only a very small group of people left that still use or want to use a view camera making it a very small market (especially with a digital back and working properly). The majority of photographers nowadays believe they can do with dslr's and PC lenses or with things like Hasselblad's HTS.

Quite frankly this is also why I am selling (or trying to) my X-act2. Most of the things I can do with the HTS, though not everything! I do notice many clients simply do not want to pay for the extra time I need to use the X-act2 making it go unused for longer periods of time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:52:21 am by Dustbak »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:00:01 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
The Rollei is discontinued. Many other view cameras are discontinued as well. I reckon the Sinar P3 or the Linhof are not (and there are more, like Silvestri) but I would not dare to say that with certainty. I think you will have a hard time getting a new view camera for your H back. Yes, most people will tell you they can deliver one to you but ask for a firm delivery date or don't be surprised having to wait for one for a pretty long time.

Most of the discontinued cameras are still making great images and can still be serviced. I think there is only a very small group of people left that still use or want to use a view camera making it a very small market (especially with a digital back and working properly). The majority of photographers nowadays believe they can do with dslr's and PC lenses or with things like Hasselblad's HTS.

Quite frankly this is also why I am selling (or trying to) my X-act2. Most of the things I can do with the HTS, though not everything! I do notice many clients simply do not want to pay for the extra time I need to use the X-act2 making it go unused for longer periods of time.

This is all very odd. Almost completely inaccurate and it is irresponsible to post such inaccurate information. Plenty of still life, artwork, and architectural photographers use view cameras today.

I use a Toyo-View vx23d which can be bought new easily. The Sinar P3 and Arca-Swiss M line are also used by photographers with regularity. Linhof just released the Techno and Arca-Swiss the M Line 2. These are new view cameras.
To go even further, there are at least a dozen tech cameras available that are essentially view cameras.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:49:23 am »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
This is all very odd. Almost completely inaccurate and it is irresponsible to post such inaccurate information. Plenty of still life, artwork, and architectural photographers use view cameras today.

I use a Toyo-View vx23d which can be bought new easily. The Sinar P3 and Arca-Swiss M line are also used by photographers with regularity. Linhof just released the Techno and Arca-Swiss the M Line 2. These are new view cameras.
To go even further, there are at least a dozen tech cameras available that are essentially view cameras.

Right, maybe you live in another region but I can still say or at least think that the majority of photographers do not use view cameras anymore, do I? Plenty of people, maybe, depending on your definition of plenty as is small I admit but since when is either one the majority?

I also only say Rollei is discontinued which I know for certain and many others. In the next sentence I mention Sinar and Linhof are not discontinued as far as I know as well as others but I also include that I don't dare to say anything further about that because I simply do not know.

I disagree with your belief my remark is either irresponsible or inaccurate but you are totally entitled thinking or believing so...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:52:47 am by Dustbak »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak

I would say this is a vague statement, don't know about irresponsible. Saying many other view cameras are discontinued is kind of like saying many other cameras (of any kind) are discontinued. To be sure, over time, generations of all kinds of cameras have been discontinued.  However, there are currently many view cameras available today from:

Sinar
Linhof
Arca Swiss
Toyo
Wista
Cambo
Horseman
Plaubel
Silvestri

And I'm sure there are others I've missed. Quite an extensive list and pretty interesting that numerous medium format cameras/companies either went out of business or were discontinued (Contax 645, Bronica, Rollei, Fuji GX680) but other than Rollei, all of the primary view camera manufacturers are still in business, still producing new products. It is true that delivery times may run long, but that has been the nature of the beast for some time anyway.

View cameras do still offer a unique feature set and although many photographers have foregone using them, many still do.

The View Camera. Here, Here!

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Professional

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 04:06:51 pm »

Great, then i have to see where i can find that view camera that i can use my Hasselblad H series with it, not into buying a view camera alone then i need to buy another digital back for it, it is ways so expensive for me to buy something else digital MF with my H3D, so i hope i can mount my H3D on a new view camera available.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:00:19 pm »

Quote from: Professional
Great, then i have to see where i can find that view camera that i can use my Hasselblad H series with it, not into buying a view camera alone then i need to buy another digital back for it, it is ways so expensive for me to buy something else digital MF with my H3D, so i hope i can mount my H3D on a new view camera available.

Whichever of the above cameras you buy, new or used, will have to have an adapter to mount H-fit backs. These adapters (sliding or fixed) come from either the camera manufacturer, the back manufacturer or from 3rd party vendors.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

pixjohn

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

You can use a graflex adapter on almost all large format camera's. I have a Leaf adapter for H camera's that I used once on a Cambo 4x5 camera. i ended up going with a technical camera that works better with wide angle lenses. Now it just sits around.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:17 pm »

If you buy the view camera new, just specific which digital back adapter you need (Hasselblad H, Hasselblad H, Phase/Mamiya, Contax). If you buy it used, just make sure you can buy the H mount adapter if it isnt included with the sale.

Professional

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »

Quote from: JonathanBenoit
If you buy the view camera new, just specific which digital back adapter you need (Hasselblad H, Hasselblad H, Phase/Mamiya, Contax). If you buy it used, just make sure you can buy the H mount adapter if it isnt included with the sale.

I may buy 2 view cameras, one as used and one as new, so if new, online how can i tell them to include a mount for me for my MF camera? it depends from which vendor i will buy as many don't have that adapters mount available so then i have to buy it eparately from another online store, this will be a pain.I.A, but i will have a look and see what i will get.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »

I may buy 2 view cameras, one as used and one as new, so if new, online how can i tell them to include a mount for me for my MF camera? it depends from which vendor i will buy as many don't have that adapters mount available so then i have to buy it eparately from another online store, this will be a pain.I.A, but i will have a look and see what i will get.

... buy from a human
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up