Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact MF film camera  (Read 11231 times)

jimgolden

• http://
Compact MF film camera
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »

looking for a small MF film camera w/ TTL focusing - been using rangefinder which is nice and compact (Fuji GA645zi) but sick of the OOF frames and not being able to "see" the focusing. looking for something of reasonable size with a normal lens (50mm in 135 format) thoughts? thx...

cyberean

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

revaaron

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:50:01 am »

I love that camera and it's a 6x6.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:46 am »

Hello,

I’ve had both the Rolleiflex and Yashica 124G cameras and the Yashica has far superior optics.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:27:41 am »

Still have a Yashica Mat 124G.  Still use it (occasionally).  Still love it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stewarthemley

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 03:13:23 am »

Quote from: HarperPhotos
Hello,

I’ve had both the Rolleiflex and Yashica 124G cameras and the Yashica has far superior optics.

Cheers

Simon

+1
And it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Gigi

• some work
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:40 am »

Geoff

chex

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:06:23 am »

edit: sorry I thought you meant manual focus, not medium format.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:07:44 am by chex »

gwhitf

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:55 am »

I used a Mamiya C330 in college. Not exactly what I'd call TTL because it's twin lens, but better than Rangefinder, I agree, for focus. Razor sharp lenses, but dark viewfinder. Reflex viewer available. Built like tank; when it finally dies, you can use it to drive 16-penny nails, so your investment is assured. None of these cameras is really compact, though. I assume you looked at Mamiya 7II; very compact, but yes, it's a rangefinder.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:06:44 am »

Quote from: jimgolden
looking for a small MF film camera w/ TTL focusing - been using rangefinder which is nice and compact (Fuji GA645zi) but sick of the OOF frames and not being able to "see" the focusing. looking for something of reasonable size with a normal lens (50mm in 135 format) thoughts? thx...

Jim,

You did not mention your budget. On expensive side is Hasselblad, while if seeking lower priced perhaps search Ebay for "645 camera", e.g. Mamiya Pro TL --- http://mamiya.co.uk/products.php?id=13&body=true. If the Mamiya, check out the Mamiya 80mm f 1.9 lens for shallow DOF and for better low light, else the more compact 80mm f 2.8

For top image quality and large films size in portable I would recommend another rangefinder: Mamiya 7 with an 80mm lens.

Regards
Anders

gwhitf

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:09 am »

Quote from: Geoffreyg
Take a look at this: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html

Wow -- that was step back in time. The kind of testing I'd do in the 1980's. All that effort, and then you realize that the detail of the screw is damn near exactly same in all four cameras, and that there's not a nickel's worth of real difference between any of the cameras, once the image hits the paper.

Same thing applies with much of this digital domain as well. Just pick the camera that feels good in your hand, and go shoot.

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Wow -- that was step back in time. The kind of testing I'd do in the 1980's. All that effort, and then you realize that the detail of the screw is damn near exactly same in all four cameras, and that there's not a nickel's worth of real difference between any of the cameras, once the image hits the paper.

Same thing applies with much of this digital domain as well. Just pick the camera that feels good in your hand, and go shoot.

agreed - I love the fuji, the AF is killing me tho. Thought about the new Fuji Retro Folder 670 as well. I hadn't thought of TLRs. I've owned a M6mf and my assistant has a M7-2, again rangefinder. The Mam645 didnt come into thought as I own an H3D and film backs, was looking for something smaller than that. Pentax67 is huge no? that crossed my mind...

thx for all the input, thought I might be missing something and I was - TLRs

jim

PS this has all stemmed from seeing some contacts a few months ago, after shooting digital exclusive for almost 8yrs, falling in love with film again, amazing and fun journey that's revitalizing my love for photography (thats sometimes bled dry by my commercial business)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:38:51 pm by jimgolden »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »

My vote goes for the Mamiya TLRs. I chose one over Rolleiflex since you can change lenses. Opted for C220 due to it being lighter and the C330 doesn't have any features I miss.

I have a 70cmx70cm print on my wall from a scanned Provia slide, and it is tack sharp - truly amazing piece of equipment.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:01:08 pm by feppe »

pmw

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »

Agfa Super Isolette (6x6) if you can find a good clean copy (or the Ansco Super Speedex which is the same camera made by Agfa for Ansco). The camera folds very flat and the Solinor lens is quite sharp even by modern standards. It's not as punchy in colors as modern multi-coated lenses but very acceptable and colors are easily enhanced in post processing (or by choosing one of the high saturation films). I have tried several portable MF cameras and this is easily the most portable.

Dick Roadnight

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 06:17:18 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
I used a Mamiya C330 in college. Not exactly what I'd call TTL because it's twin lens, but better than Rangefinder, I agree, for focus. Razor sharp lenses, but dark viewfinder. Reflex viewer available. Built like tank; when it finally dies, you can use it to drive 16-penny nails, so your investment is assured. None of these cameras is really compact, though. I assume you looked at Mamiya 7II; very compact, but yes, it's a rangefinder.
I had a C330 (TLR) and I was very glad to give it  up an change to a Hasselblad... I particularly disliked it with colour film,, but I had three lenses for it, and I expect you can pick them up for peanuts.

If you want a good tele, get the Telle-rollei TLR.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:06:55 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

ondebanks

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:11 am »

Pentacon Six TL with an 80mm MC Biometar - really tiny and light for a 6x6 SLR. Shaped like a 35mm SLR and scarcely any bigger.
The 120mm MC Biometar is an even better lens; great short tele for portraits.

The Pentax 645 is also very compact...and has a lot of the automation that your Fuji compact has.

Rob C

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:56 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I had a C330 (TLR) and I was very glad to give it  up an change to a Hasselblad... I particularly disliked it with colour film,, bur I had three lenses for it, and I expect you can pick them up for peanuts.

If you wan a good tele, get the Telle-rollei TLR.

Close to my experience: had a Rollei T (75mm) and bought the C330 for the 180mm to do heads. As soon as I could afford to I sold the T for the 500C and then later, when I could finance the 150mm Sonnar I got rid of the Mamiya. Unfortunately, I hadn't realised how much mirror bounce the 500C had and it shocked me first time out doing hand-held fashion...

On the other hand, the 180mm on Mami had a nicer effect and could get closer without distorting than the 150mm on 'blad. The 180mm for 'blad didn't exist at the time. However, the parallax problem with the 180mm on the Mami was awfully awkward to deal with, even though it was a tripod situation every time.

Yes, glad to have left it and wish I had NOT abandoned the 500 Series many years later.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:10:41 am by Rob C »

jimgolden

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 07:51:26 pm »

Quote from: ondebanks
Pentacon Six TL with an 80mm MC Biometar - really tiny and light for a 6x6 SLR. Shaped like a 35mm SLR and scarcely any bigger.
The 120mm MC Biometar is an even better lens; great short tele for portraits.

The Pentax 645 is also very compact...and has a lot of the automation that your Fuji compact has.

interesting, I'll check these out too

thx everyone

Dick Roadnight

Compact MF film camera
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 04:42:35 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Close to my experience: had a Rollei T (75mm) and bought the C330 for the 180mm to do heads. As soon as I could afford to I sold the T for the 500C and then later, when I could finance the 150mm Sonnar I got rid of the Mamiya. Unfortunately, I hadn't realised how much mirror bounce the 500C had and it shocked me first time out doing hand-held fashion...

On the other hand, the 180mm on Mami had a nicer effect and could get closer without distorting than the 150mm on 'blad. The 180mm for 'blad didn't exist at the time. However, the parallax problem with the 180mm on the Mami was awfully awkward to deal with, even though it was a tripod situation every time.

Yes, glad to have left it and wish I had NOT abandoned the 500 Series many years later.

Rob C
I still have a hand-powered 500, the ELD and the Flexbody, an 40mm 80mm 120macro and 250. I should, perhaps have made do with a CFV39 and not bought the H3>4. I am thinking I will buy a 39 as a back-up system when or if I can afford it.

I thought that the 120 was long enough for most portraiture, and did not use the 250 very much.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
Compact MF film camera
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 09:10:39 am »

Bronica's RF645 "Texas Leica" should be a pretty good choice too, if you can deal with the vertical framing. I have the 45mm f/4 and the 65mm f/4. There was also a 135mm in early versions, which was later revised to a 100mm due to lack of sufficient rangefinder baseline to accurately focus the 135mm. It has a really nice feel to it, metal and solid.

Tamron's Bronica RF645 Page
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:12:54 am by shutay »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up