Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line in Flower Bokeh  (Read 2857 times)

MR.FEESH

• http://
Line in Flower Bokeh
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:22 am »

Hello all!

So this is a shot that I particularly like, but a friend pointed out a peculiar feature of the image that I hadn't paid much attention to.

This is the image, shot with my Sigma 70mm macro and SD14 at ISO 100:

You'll notice on the far side of the flower, the pedals that fall out of focus have a strange and definitive line toward the very edge that makes that section of the image look rather fake. I'm quite used to the Sigma Foveon camera and I never need to adjust colors or lighting, meaning this image is relitively un-edited.  I processed it using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom rather than Sigma Photo Pro, which is the only thing I can think of (yes, the two do process the X3F RAW image slightly differently).

Any help would be appreciated, and comments on the rest of the image are welcome as well.

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Line in Flower Bokeh
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24:31 am »

I like this composition but would like more dof.

I encountered a similar problem a while ago and made a duplicate layer of the problematic edge, enlarged it to clearly show pixels so that I could do very fine editing along edge and then employed a blur over the problematic area. That solved the problem in my case.

fredjeang

Line in Flower Bokeh
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:55 am »

Hi,

In the case of the Sigma, I think your first intuition is the correct one.
I've been trying in the past not using Sigma Photo Pro but ACR and...NO!
It just simply does not work well with Foveon in some cases and you have to use the genuine software.
Don't ask me why it is like that, I'm tech useless. But that fact has been commented many times by Sigma users.

You should make a test with the SPP and compare to see if it gives you this line, I doubt it will and everything will be back on track.

Remember also that Foveon is specially problematic with the red channel, but I don't think it has something to do with it.

Good luck.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Line in Flower Bokeh
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:47:56 am »

I've sometimes seen that in Lightroom if you stretch both the Blacks and the Fill Light too high.  That may not be the case here, but try setting them both to zero and see if anything changes.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

MR.FEESH

• http://
Line in Flower Bokeh
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:18 am »

Quote from: Justan
I like this composition but would like more dof.

I imagine this would be one of the aspects of this piece that would vary greatly from person to person.  Were I given the chance to re-do the shot, I may have increased the DOF slightly.

Quote from: Justan
I encountered a similar problem a while ago and made a duplicate layer of the problematic edge, enlarged it to clearly show pixels so that I could do very fine editing along edge and then employed a blur over the problematic area. That solved the problem in my case.

Hmm that sounds like a very reasonable fix for this particular case.  Unfortunately I don't really have the tools to take care of it in the same exact way you did in your case, but I can try a very similar method.  Thanks for letting me know.

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,

In the case of the Sigma, I think your first intuition is the correct one.
I've been trying in the past not using Sigma Photo Pro but ACR and...NO!
It just simply does not work well with Foveon in some cases and you have to use the genuine software.
Don't ask me why it is like that, I'm tech useless. But that fact has been commented many times by Sigma users.

You should make a test with the SPP and compare to see if it gives you this line, I doubt it will and everything will be back on track.

Remember also that Foveon is specially problematic with the red channel, but I don't think it has something to do with it.

Good luck.

That would definitely be something worth looking into; I've run into some weird problems before when not using SPP.  I'm struggling to find the original, very unfortunately, but will definitely put it through SPP and see what happens if I find it.

Quote from: wolfnowl
I've sometimes seen that in Lightroom if you stretch both the Blacks and the Fill Light too high.  That may not be the case here, but try setting them both to zero and see if anything changes.

Mike.

You have a good point- I think extreme editing usually has a lot to do with problems that appear images such as this one.  With this image however, blacks and fill light were not touched and are both set to zero.  I'd be curious to see if the line went away were you able to move both of these sliders in the negative direction, but alas positive is the only available direction.  Great suggestion, though, thanks for posting!

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro
Pages: [1]   Go Up