Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Colour Management Fix ?  (Read 38311 times)

Doyle Yoder

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Colour Management Fix ?
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
Photoshop CS5 - 16 bit print output selected
Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Canon iPF5100
Canon Premium Bright Photo Satin Paper (260 GSM)
Canon Profile - Premium Bright Photo Satin (5100_PBPS260_S5_D50)

Converted to the printer profile and printed through Photoshop CS5's print dialog with 16bit output (Mac only), the print is identical in color and detail to the same image printed through Photoshop CS4 and Canon's 16 bit Photoshop Plug-in.

Did you add Photoshop 12 or what ever the internal name is to the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file. If not I have a hard time believing that you are getting "No color correction" in the driver. Tell me, is it defaulting to ColorSync in Color Matching?

Or are you letting the driver manage color?

Doyle

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2010, 07:43:48 pm »

Quote from: Doyle Yoder
Did you add Photoshop 12 or what ever the internal name is to the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file. If not I have a hard time believing that you are getting "No color correction" in the driver. Tell me, is it defaulting to ColorSync in Color Matching?

Or are you letting the driver manage color?

Doyle

It is defaulting to ColorSync and I set dialog to let Photoshop manage color as I converted the image to the paper profile. The Canon media setting was set in the Photoshop CS5 dialog. Color management is actually grayed out in the Canon printer interface.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:55:32 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »

It is defaulting to ColorSync and I set dialog to let Photoshop manage color as I converted the image to the paper profile. The Canon media setting was set in the Photoshop CS5 dialog. Color management is actually grayed out in the Canon printer interface.

Let me ask to a specific workflow.

If you choose PSCS5 manages color in the print dialog and choose the printer/paper profile, under Color Matching in the driver ColorSync is grayed our but selected as default? Now under Main/Color Mode: is No Color Correction selected and grayed out?

Doyle

jerryrock

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »

Let me ask to a specific workflow.

If you choose PSCS5 manages color in the print dialog and choose the printer/paper profile, under Color Matching in the driver ColorSync is grayed our but selected as default? Now under Main/Color Mode: is No Color Correction selected and grayed out?

Doyle

See the uploaded images. Additionally if I click on the "set" button in the Main window under color management I get another screen that does indicate ColorSync under matching.

Gerald J Skrocki

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »

Do you print profile conversion first and then assign the profile that the driver is using.

Profile conversion? It's a target, there is no tagged color space or profile conversion. Driver is set to "none" for a profile. Are you talking about the work around? I'm aware of the work around but can't really be bothered by it. I have a Windows box I can use which works beautifully. I also have a Mac Pro still running 10.5.8 with Photoshop CS3 (and CS4) that works just fine as well, this was mostly an exercise in curiosity to see what would happen with an ANCIENT driver. I've been debating whether or not to upgrade the Mac Pro to Snow Leopard as I've been holding back due to the color management issues. Not really concerned about the Epson 2200 though. I don't really use it anymore, just wanted to give it a try to test the theory that the drivers are playing an integral part in whether or not you can print an untagged profile. I still have to give a test run on Snow Leopard with the IPF6100.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:19:13 pm by shewhorn »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »

See the uploaded images. Additionally if I click on the "set" button in the Main window under color management I get another screen that does indicate ColorSync under matching.

Because Canon drivers are special casing all application that print using Apple new printing path that is what I thought would happen. This manifests itself when application manages color is selected.

Until Photoshop 12 is listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file color management can not be turned off in the driver. Yes if your sending Canon's default profile that matches the media setting defaulted to that profile in the ColorSync Utility it will work because your double profiling with the same profile, but it will not work if are using custom profiles. This is the very same thing that happens with the LR3 Betas.

This is what will need to be added to the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml for PSCS5 to print correctly with custom profiles.

This is what is set for CS4 to print correctly.
<dict>
      <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
      <string>Adobe Photoshop CS4</string>
      <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
      <string>11.0</string>

CS5 will need to be added into the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file.

Doyle

jerryrock

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »

You can set Photoshop CS5's print dialog box to printer manages color. Then you are able to select vendor matching and no color adjustment in the printer's dialog box.
I have not tried to print using this setting.
Gerald J Skrocki

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »

You can set Photoshop CS5's print dialog box to printer manages color. Then you are able to select vendor matching and no color adjustment in the printer's dialog box.
I have not tried to print using this setting.

Yes of course that is what you will get with printer manages color, but not CS5 managing color. CS5 needs to be listed (special cased) for it print correctly using custom profiles.

Check your PM.

Doyle

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38:15 pm »

Until Photoshop 12 is listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file color management can not be turned off in the driver. Yes if your sending Canon's default profile that matches the media setting defaulted to that profile in the ColorSync Utility it will work because your double profiling with the same profile, but it will not work if are using custom profiles. This is the very same thing that happens with the LR3 Betas.

This is what will need to be added to the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml for PSCS5 to print correctly with custom profiles.

This is what is set for CS4 to print correctly.
<dict>
      <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
      <string>Adobe Photoshop CS4</string>
      <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
      <string>11.0</string>

CS5 will need to be added into the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file.

Doyle
Color me curious ... so where is this file?  I can't find it on my system.  Is it installed by canon driver software only?  

Farmer

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:48 pm »

Something interesting will be happening regarding printing targets with the launch of CS5.  I've just confirmed that we're allowed to talk about it but I have to stress that there is no firm ETA.

CS5 removes the No Color Management option for printing.  To cater for target printing, Adobe will release (via Adobe Labs) a free utility specifically for printing targets.  The idea is to avoid the various issues we've all discussed here and just provide a solid tool for targets that does a proper NCM.  There are no more details available at this stage.
Phil Brown

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:10 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Color me curious ... so where is this file?  I can't find it on my system.  Is it installed by canon driver software only?

Here is the path /Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks/GARO_CUPS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml

Installed by Canon driver software but it can be edited to include new software. I have adding Lightroom 3 Beta 2 and it now prints correctly without double profiling. Photoshop CS5 should be easy to add by looking up the internal executable file name and version number.

Doyle

Marco Ugolini

• http://
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2010, 01:51:21 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Something interesting will be happening regarding printing targets with the launch of CS5.  I've just confirmed that we're allowed to talk about it but I have to stress that there is no firm ETA.

CS5 removes the No Color Management option for printing.  To cater for target printing, Adobe will release (via Adobe Labs) a free utility specifically for printing targets.  The idea is to avoid the various issues we've all discussed here and just provide a solid tool for targets that does a proper NCM.  There are no more details available at this stage.
Is this a late April's Fool joke?
Marco Ugolini

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2010, 02:49:33 am »

Quote from: Marco Ugolini
Is this a late April's Fool joke?

Nope...CS5 does NOT have a No Color Management option in the drop down menu...it was always a hack and with the most recent Mac print pipeline, essentially undoable.

So you can either do the Eric Chan work around (assign a profile then print to the driver with no color management) or use another app to print targets...hence the intention of doing a Labs.Adobe.Com free cross platform app for printing targets...

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
...hence the intention of doing a Labs.Adobe.Com free cross platform app for printing targets...

Can anyone advise a time-frame for the availability of this Adobe Labs print target app?
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

Farmer

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 05:43:10 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
Can anyone advise a time-frame for the availability of this Adobe Labs print target app?

No, sorry.  As I said, we've been advised that there is no ETA at this point which means no speculation.  If that situation changes, I'll happily comment but my guess would be that Adobe will announce it anyway.
Phil Brown

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:25 pm »

Correct, I posted a similar note to the ColorSync list moments ago. One of the advantages of putting it into a separate dedicated (much smaller) app is the ability to rev it as needed to deal with potential OS changes. Much less overhead than trying to do a full PS update.
Eric Chan

Photo Op

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2010, 06:49:49 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Correct, I posted a similar note to the ColorSync list moments ago. One of the advantages of putting it into a separate dedicated (much smaller) app is the ability to rev it as needed to deal with potential OS changes. Much less overhead than trying to do a full PS update.

Eric-what do you mean by the Colorsync list......?
David

Farmer

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »

Quote from: Photo Op
Eric-what do you mean by the Colorsync list......?

http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/colorsync-users
Phil Brown

na goodman

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »

v4 Profiles still have the gray bars on 10.6.3.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2010, 12:11:22 am »

As I suspected PSCS5 will not print correctly without adding it to the special cases file. It needs to added so that "No color correction" is the default when choosing Photoshop Manages Color.

Here is the Fix for PSCS5.

http://www.dypinc.com/Canon/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml

The file goes here.

/Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks/GARO_CUPS.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml

Make sure you save the original in case you want to go back to it.

And printing gray in the none printing page area is still an issue, I suppose with Ver 4 profiles. Will test version 2 profiles next.

Doyle
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:12:12 am by Doyle Yoder »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up