Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ lens on 4x5? advantage  (Read 4205 times)

Phil Indeblanc

RZ lens on 4x5? advantage
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

I had been using the RZ a couple years back for some tabletop projects, and then I switched to the Sinar4x5 as I can focus and tilt more than the RZ(even with the TS adapter) would allow, that was one of the reasons.
I use the older Phase 25 (non +) sensor with the larger (9 or 11micron?) photons, and I am able to stop down to 16, and close to 22 .

Recently I saw a ebay post for a adapter that would mount on a 4x5 allowing RZ lens to attach.  For a minute I though wow, super, as I have some RZ lens, from the 35(38) fisheye to 90, 180 short, 140 macro, etc.  Althoug for my main question and needs it would be the 140 macro.(adapter price about $600)

Then thought I had been down this route before, but I can't remember if I made the switch on the movements and focus ease alone, or did lens sharpness have a factor? I can't remember the DOF outcome either.  I just know I switched.  So without doing the setup again....

I have to ask... Would the 140 macro RZ lens have more resolving power / sharpness, over the non digitar, older, but not under 1970's (late 1980's) 4x5 lens :Rondenstock sironar N 210?  I also have a Rod Macro Sironar N 210 I use. (not used the Schneider Sym S 210 yet.)

since I am doing tabletop macro project , It is not soo critical for edges.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

pchong

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »

interesting question...I am also anxiously awaiting answers...

If I may, I have one additional question for you...do you find focussing on the ground glass of the Sinar much more challenging/difficult than on the RZ? Thanks.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:31 pm »

Quote from: pchong

If I may, I have one additional question for you...do you find focussing on the ground glass of the Sinar much more challenging/difficult than on the RZ? Thanks.

Even when I use a special screen than the standard that helpson the RZ, but my slide back is rather a small openning.... so yes.
As the RZ is somewhat easier /accurate as I use the magnifier on the eye finder rather than the colapsible down view.  If it wasnt for the slider the 4x5 would be much easier as I use a loop on the large area.
Better yet, LIVE VIEW on a newer DB would be ideal :-) as long as there is little to no lag.

I might break down and do the testing myself, but I don't know if I will get the chance as I am satisfied now...just wondering so, it is not a scramble to solve :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:47:00 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

Can't offer any information regarding the lenses in question, however could you tell us about the adapter?  Does it do the auto stop down of the aperture?  

Rolleiflex USA

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Can't offer any information regarding the lenses in question, however could you tell us about the adapter?  Does it do the auto stop down of the aperture?

it is on a 4x5, no com between lens and system

Kitty

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:27 am »

I am using RB lens 50mm, 90mm, 127mm and 180mm on Sinar X + sliding back + P45+ with great success.
No need to stop down, recock shutter, wakeup computer before press shutter.
It works much like Sinar shutter DB. Just press and release the cable. It automatic activate Digital back, stop down, release shutter.

For the resolution, resolving power, sharpness. I never compare to 4x5 digital series lens. But it is like shooting mamiya body + DB.
Mamiya lens has better sharpness and resolving power than the old 4x5 lens.

Just one complaint the system is so heavy and need strong tripod to work.

kitty

Kitty

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:00:02 am »

With sliding back on 4x5. Focusing on 4x5 is exactly same to focusing on Mamiya.
Just image is upside down on flip left right.

neilwatson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:08:22 am »

I also have RZ lens which I would love to use on a 4x5 camera.   Could you tell me if you use the shutter in the RZ lens / RB lens or you have another shutter system to make the combination work ?  I cannot work out how I would be able to recock the shutter in the RZ lens or stop down the lens as they seem to be setup only to do this with an RZ body attached.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »

Quote from: Kitty
With sliding back on 4x5. Focusing on 4x5 is exactly same to focusing on Mamiya.

This actually depends on the slide you have kapture vs Phase, etc.

Thats a good question, re the re cocking.  I will have to find out.  But I was hoping to get some info if it is even worth the time and money.

Kitty

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:06:05 am »

Quote from: neilwatson
I also have RZ lens which I would love to use on a 4x5 camera.   Could you tell me if you use the shutter in the RZ lens / RB lens or you have another shutter system to make the combination work ?  I cannot work out how I would be able to recock the shutter in the RZ lens or stop down the lens as they seem to be setup only to do this with an RZ body attached.

I use RB lens not RZ. I use the special board to mount RB lens on.
There is no other electronic shutter need.

Mount the RB lens on the front board. Cock the shutter on the front lens board.
That is all.

pchong

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:20:05 am »

sorry for vague question...I am actually asking if the ground glass on 4x5 is dimmer than with the RZ? And to get some insights on difficulty of focussing with movements given the dim-ness of the glass.

Quote from: Kitty

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:57 pm »

sorry for vague question...I am actually asking if the ground glass on 4x5 is dimmer than with the RZ? And to get some insights on difficulty of focussing with movements given the dim-ness of the glass.

you have to try it in your setup as your lighting will make a difference. but there are screens on the RZ that make it easier and better to see.  the 4x5 requires more light and more controlled viewing, even with the bino viewer.  the RZ prizm viewer with mag is a snap to focus with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up