Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Computers  (Read 14478 times)

DanielStone

Stupid Computers
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 01:11:31 am »

chris,

why not build/have a HACKINTOSH built for you?

windows-box running OSX. a friend of mine put one together running W7 dual booted with OSX, for about $2500, has 8 cores, 12gb of ram, (2) 300gb WD 10k rpm scratch drives, plenty of video card space, 750w power supply, in a sweet aluminum/black case(still trying to find the case online)

here it is...

the only downside is though: YOU ARE THE TECH GUY. there isn't someone you can call .

but if I were you, I'd get a Mac Pro, and write it off. you can just get a bare-bones one with a kick-ass set of processors, and upgrade the HD's and memory from OWC(other world computing) for A LOT LESS $$$ than if you ordered it straight from Apple.

same friend's dad(who bought a mac pro 2 months ago=graphic designer), upgraded his 2gb of stock ram to 16gb for like $500, apple would have charged like $1100. you do the math, he put one of the 300gb Raptor drives  HERE. my

if I had the money for a shiny new mac pro, I'd buy the bare bones one, with the best processor that fit my budget, and then waddle over to OWC and get my upgrade ram and get the HD's from Newegg. can save a LOT OF $$$$.

-Dan
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:12:47 am by DanielStone »

DanielStone

Stupid Computers
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 01:15:56 am »

16gb ram for the mac pro upgrade from OWC

LINK

-Dan

michele

Stupid Computers
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:03:18 am »

Windows is the first virus for your computer. Remember the amount of power that an anitvirus is going to take... With mac or Linux you don't need to worry about it... Windows can work for a year, and you will see the performances going down day by day... My mac is a rock never a down. One thing that i really miss of the pc is the graphic card..2 years ago i could get 1gb of graphic card with less then 400 euros, now with mac there is no way to go more then 512mb... it's a shame... By the way, you have to buy a new license of photoshop for windows

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Stupid Computers
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 03:09:56 am »

Quote from: michele
Windows is the first virus for your computer. Remember the amount of power that an anitvirus is going to take... With mac or Linux you don't need to worry about it... Windows can work for a year, and you will see the performances going down day by day... My mac is a rock never a down. One thing that i really miss of the pc is the graphic card..2 years ago i could get 1gb of graphic card with less then 400 euros, now with mac there is no way to go more then 512mb... it's a shame... By the way, you have to buy a new license of photoshop for windows

As far as I can see with Adobe you do NOT have to buy a new license. Oh and who hooks up his workstation to the internet ? never, no matter whether mac, linux or windows
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

stewarthemley

Stupid Computers
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 04:05:07 am »

When I changed from PC to Mac about two years ago Adobe were very helpful and allowed me to change platform for PS for the cost of posting a CD, $10 maybe. LR was/is dual platform so no cost. But I think with most other software I had to pay for a new licence so it's certainly a factor to consider.

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
Stupid Computers
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:47:16 am »

I have a MacBook Pro and I run Windows Vista on it for some specialty applications.

Every time I boot to that terrible Windows a updating procedure starts. Every time there are new "IMPORTANT" updates that the computer simply can't live without. Then Virus protection and so on. The computer starts to install. Suddenly it tells you I need to restart or gives me an option to restart in an hour. Hour goes by and BOOM it shuts down. What ever I was working on is now history...

Then you try to install something and the Vista remembers that I don't have Administrator rights even I'm the only administrator.

My MacPro Xeon 266 from fall 2006 is still pushing strong, absolutely zero problems so far. It's a bit slow with Lightroom but otherwise I have newer had any issues with multilayer P45 files. Just fine and fast enough!
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

ctz

Stupid Computers
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:12 am »

My MacPro Xeon 266 from fall 2006 is still pushing strong, absolutely zero problems so far. It's a bit slow with Lightroom but otherwise I have newer had any issues with multilayer P45 files. Just fine and fast enough!
[/quote]

+1!

Tip for any old MacPro user, until you're waiting for arrival of The New One.
Put 3 or 4 hardrive in a Macpro and set them in Raid0. You will reach 3-400Mb/sec actual speed, compared to 80-100 for a single drive. You will think that you use a new (rocket) machine...
This will help for C1 or LRoom a lot (generating previews in particular).

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Stupid Computers
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 06:36:54 am »

Well IO/s are more important than raw read or write speed. In addition RAID 0 only speeds up read and write for larger files and not for the normal system data.

Sorry to hear that PatrikR, but it sounds like a plain user error or user ignorance.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ctz

Stupid Computers
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 07:04:14 am »

Quote from: Christopher
RAID 0 only speeds up read and write for larger files and not for the normal system data.

I'm not talking about system data (altough I also use a SSD as system disk) but just cannot help not noticing a huge gain working with C1 and Lightroom.
And I consider a P45+ (RAW or multiple layers TIFF) a large file, don't you?

ctz

Stupid Computers
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 07:10:44 am »

Sorry to hear that PatrikR, but it sounds like a plain user error or user ignorance.

Yes, maybe there is an "user error".
But chances are that using MacOS you would not fall in this kind of "error" in the first place...

Sorry, just my two cents.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:11:34 am by ctz »

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Stupid Computers
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 08:02:50 am »

As far as I can see with Adobe you do NOT have to buy a new license. Oh and who hooks up his workstation to the internet ? never, no matter whether mac, linux or windows

In this day and age many of us do! Our workstations are all networked, so are the printers, and all updating is carried out through the net.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Stupid Computers
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 08:15:32 am »

Quote from: PatrikR
Every time I boot to that terrible Windows a updating procedure starts. Every time there are new "IMPORTANT" updates that the computer simply can't live without. Then Virus protection and so on. The computer starts to install. Suddenly it tells you I need to restart or gives me an option to restart in an hour. Hour goes by and BOOM it shuts down. What ever I was working on is now history...

If you're stupid enough to have updates set to install automatically, you have no right to complain when they install...automatically. It's kind of like complaining that it hurts when you whack your thumb with a hammer. The solution is to quit whacking your thumb--all you need to do to fix this behavior is set updates to download automatically, but install manually (hint: it's the middle option in Microsoft Update). When updates are available they will automatically download, but YOU choose when you want to install them instead of having it happen automatically in the middle of something else.

erick.boileau

• http://
Stupid Computers
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 08:27:13 am »

in addition to the price of PCs  you have to buy the license for windows 7 64 , Snow Leopard cost 29 euro

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Stupid Computers
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 08:31:19 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
So.... I'm pretty anxious to get a new tower.  My MBP is so much faster than my Dual G5 that I use the laptop for everything nowadays.  I've been holding off on a new Mac Pro as the line is nearly 300 days old.  We're supposed to get 6 core towers in March.  However, I'm fairly annoyed that PS is still running in 32 bit on Mac whereas PC users have been running a 64 bit version for a while now (if they've installed the 64 bit OS).

I've actually been thinking about moving to PC for the tower, so that I can upgrade sooner and have the most flexibility in builds.  Not being exposed to Windows at all nowadays, would I be totally frustrated with a PC box?  Should I just wait for the new Mac's?

Only you can answer the question of whether Windows would annoy you. Go down to a computer store and try out some machines running Windows 7 and see. If you do a lot of batch processing or work with large files, 64-bit support is important, and should weigh heavily into your decision. On that basis alone (and the performance benefits that go with it), I would seriously consider a tower with 12GB of RAM running Win7 64-bit. If you get something with a dual-I7 motherboard, you'll have 8 cores and 16 threads via hyperthreading.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Stupid Computers
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 09:00:13 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
why not build/have a HACKINTOSH built for you?

Because you'd be violating the intellectual property of Apple.

I mean, why not go to a photographer's website and just copy paste their work into your advertisement? I have a friend who did it, and the quality was almost as good!

CBarrett

Stupid Computers
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:46 am »

I suppose I'm just going to have to wait until March and see if anything comes out of Cupertino.  I can always fix my Mac, I've been using them since OS 7 but I would have no idea how to maintain Windows.

Maybe Apple will release an even cooler enclosure and then I'll get Doug to build me a killer machine with internal raids.

; )

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Stupid Computers
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:30 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
I suppose I'm just going to have to wait until March and see if anything comes out of Cupertino.  I can always fix my Mac, I've been using them since OS 7 but I would have no idea how to maintain Windows.

Maybe Apple will release an even cooler enclosure and then I'll get Doug to build me a killer machine with internal raids.

; )

i am in a similar situation as you ... ( once more    .. ) .
although my workstation isnt too slow its not longer supported neither by apple nor by adobe. its unfortunately the last hi end power mac with 2.5quad processor, 16gb memory and raid 0. fast enough,  but these nice companies decided that i have to upgrade now, with their politic not to bring out new software updates for power macs. thats tough.  i hate this kind of behavor from any company who does it ,- but i even hate more windows after many years of using it, so i will go on using macs.
although i thing that the new quad core powerbooks, which probably will come out in springtime, will be enough powerfull for my editing work,
so this time maybe i just will add a new hi end powerbook next summer and use my existing one as backup.

i made very bad experience with macs too buying them directly after they came out, so i will avoid this this time hopefully.
my mbp 2.2 dual intel 15" i still use was 6 times in apple shop for repair, fortunately all covered by waranty, but so much stress and waiting times for me. the quad had an exchanged motherboard and processor.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

michele

Stupid Computers
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:38 am »

One thing that i hope is photoshop for linux... open source world with possibility of very good hardware, less expensive then mac and maybe better

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Stupid Computers
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:46 am »

just reading the subject made my day.  

("Windows or Mac?  It don't matter, I hate ALL computers")

good luck, i feel your pain.
Ted Dillard

CBarrett

Stupid Computers
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 09:50:27 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
my mbp 2.2 dual intel 15" i still use was 6 times in apple shop for repair, fortunately all covered by waranty, but so much stress and waiting times for me. the quad had an exchanged motherboard and processor.

6 times?!!!  Wow.  I've never had an Apple Laptop go in for repair.  They're either working fine or totally destroyed.

Powerbook 1400 ----  Cat peed on it
Powerbook G3  ---  Slipped and fell on ice (after a night out drinking) and smashed
Powerbook G4 12"  ---  Crushed between me and pavement in motorcycle accident

The current 17" is pretty snappy with 8gb ram.  I have this eSATA 5 drive striped raid I used to use with the tower and hook that up to the laptop with an expresscard adapter which gives me a pretty fast scratch disk.

Still.... 2gb layered files.... will anything crunch these quickly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up