Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest  (Read 4709 times)

sanfairyanne

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 242
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:21 AM »

The forum members on this site gave me clear advice when I bought my first SLR earlier this year answering my sometimes poorly constructed questions.

Therefore I decided to put my pictures on Pbase to show the fruits of my efforts, if anyone can spare a little time they can check them out at the webpage below.

The gallery is devoted to images from California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado.

I realise I made some errors but I learnt a lot and now can't wait to plan a 2010 trip.

THE GALLERY CAN BE VIEWED AT: www.pbase.com/sanfairyanne/southwest
Logged

Geoff Wittig

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1021
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:29:13 AM »

Quote from: sanfairyanne
The forum members on this site gave me clear advice when I bought my first SLR earlier this year answering my sometimes poorly constructed questions.

Therefore I decided to put my pictures on Pbase to show the fruits of my efforts, if anyone can spare a little time they can check them out at the webpage below.

The gallery is devoted to images from California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado.

I realise I made some errors but I learnt a lot and now can't wait to plan a 2010 trip.

THE GALLERY CAN BE VIEWED AT: www.pbase.com/sanfairyanne/southwest

Some beautiful work there, no doubt about it. You've obviously got the technical stuff nailed down. You used HDR techniques for some images, no?
I'm amazed by how many of the photographic icons (not to say cliches) you bagged.

Logged

usathyan

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 186
    • http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »

Some wonderful images! thanks for sharing.
Logged
--------------
Umesh Bhatt
http://www.8thcross.com/blog/

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13218
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »

That is a stunning collection. You should be very proud of it.

Eric

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes    (A sampler of my new book is on my website.)
http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website (Server is back up). New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5821
    • M&M's Musings
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »

Some great work there.  Thanks for sharing them!

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8797
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »

Excellent work, indeed! You managed to travel to hard to reach locations but also to get stunning photos.
Logged
Francois

EduPerez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 700
    • Edu Pérez
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 07:07:05 AM »

There is a ton of very good photographs there, I enjoyed some time in that gallery; congratulations and thanks for sharing.

However, I found a few not-so-good pieces (some of them are out-of-focus or blurry, and some seem in need of curves adjustment) that stand out among all that excellent work; I think those do not belong there, you do not need to show them
Logged

feppe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2903
  • Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »

Some stunning shots there, especially for a starting photographer! I was especially impressed by the variety of the photography, from wide angles to HDR to wild life to details. I'm not t too fond of HDR, but there were a few which were subtle in HDR - much more pleasant. My favorite shot was the vertigo-inducing Spider-Rock-Canyon-de-Chelle.

Quote from: EduPerez
There is a ton of very good photographs there, I enjoyed some time in that gallery; congratulations and thanks for sharing.

However, I found a few not-so-good pieces (some of them are out-of-focus or blurry, and some seem in need of curves adjustment) that stand out among all that excellent work; I think those do not belong there, you do not need to show them

Agreed with EduPerez on the culling. Many "good" photographers are not necessarily any better at taking better pictures; they just show only their very best work

Geoff Wittig

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1021
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Quote from: feppe
Agreed with EduPerez on the culling. Many "good" photographers are not necessarily any better at taking better pictures; they just show only their very best work

I can't remember where I heard this first, though obviously it was B.D. (Before digital)-
"The difference between amateur photographers and professionals is the size of their trash can."

My wife used to gripe about the waste as I repeatedly tossed unsuccessful slides into the trash can while editing my 'take' from a photo trip in the film era. I was always painfully aware that each click of the shutter was another 60˘ or so. At least with digital we can shoot more promiscuously, knowing the only cost is editing time and having sufficient card capacity.
Logged

Bill J

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • http://
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »

Very nice work, and a lot of dedicated legwork, too.

I think my favorite is "Second-Wave-North-Coyotte-Buttes-Az" on page 3.

When I read your caption under "Fantasy-Canyon" (gallery page 1): "Sadly the most photogenic 'teapot' rock was either nocked or fell down. Michael Fatali has a shot of it named 'Back of Beyond' well worth buying if you can spare five or six thousand dollars."

...I couldn't help thinking, "Maybe it was Michael Fatali that knocked it down." Am I being unkind?
Logged

AndrewKulin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 339
    • http://www.andrewkulin.com
My 2009 gallery after a 6 month trip to U.S. southwest
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

Some very nice shots in there.  My favorite was your first shot of the Crystal Mill.  Absolutely amazing on two counts - the photograph itself and that I have never seen a photograph of this spot before.  One would think that a crazy structure like that would be a photographer magnet.

I also really liked the N.Coyote bluff photo and the one with you (?) jumping onto that hoodoo - I really hope that is not real and was photoshopped.

Andrew
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up