Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900  (Read 3028 times)

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
Epson 9900
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »

I have what even seems to me to be a silly question, but rather than wasting ink and paper trying to find the answer I figure I might as well just ask it.

I recently purchased an Epson 9900, now I know to print a 24 X 36 borderless I have to set the width to slightly over 24"(have the chart sitting on my desk to get that one right) my question is, if I'm trying to print something that is not edge to edge, does it print true to size? ie: if I set the image width in photoshop to 20" wide, will it print as 20" wide, or do I actually need to expand that by a bit to get it to print the full 20"

Guigui

• http://
Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:35 pm »

Quote from: StevenSzabo
I have what even seems to me to be a silly question, but rather than wasting ink and paper trying to find the answer I figure I might as well just ask it.

I recently purchased an Epson 9900, now I know to print a 24 X 36 borderless I have to set the width to slightly over 24"(have the chart sitting on my desk to get that one right) my question is, if I'm trying to print something that is not edge to edge, does it print true to size? ie: if I set the image width in photoshop to 20" wide, will it print as 20" wide, or do I actually need to expand that by a bit to get it to print the full 20"
No, you don't have to expand it to print a 20'' image.

Size increase is only required to obtain a borderless image on your 24'' wide media (I suppose you are using 24'' rolls).

Btw, welcome to the LL boards !
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:58:09 pm by Guigui »

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
Epson 9900
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »

Quote from: Guigui
No, you don't have to expand it to print a 20'' image.

Size increase is only required to obtain a borderless image on your 24'' wide media (I suppose you are using 24'' rolls).

Btw, welcome to the LL boards !

Yes, printing on a 24" roll, or 44" roll.  Was just using the 20" size as an example more or less. Any ideas why it works that way? I mean it doesn't seem to make sense to have 24" be 24" unless you happen to be printing on 24" paper, at which point 24" is actually 24.12" or something silly like that(I'm at work and don't have the chart with me, so that's just a random number).

And thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking as a guest for a while, but decided to create the account today. Should be good for all my random questions.

Guigui

• http://
Epson 9900
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:59:36 pm »

Quote from: StevenSzabo
I mean it doesn't seem to make sense to have 24" be 24" unless you happen to be printing on 24" paper, at which point 24" is actually 24.12" or something silly like that
I wouldn't put it that way. A 24'' picture is never a 24.12'' picture. What is happening is that when you ask your printer to print a 24'' image on a 24'' roll, margins will appear and your image will be cropped unless you enable the "borderless" feature (which works only for certain media sizes). Borderless will get you rid of margins, but in order to do that, you need to feed the printer something a little larger than the exact size of the paper, otherwise it can't make a truly borderless image.

That means that your 24.12'' image will still be 24.12'', but the remaining 0.12'' will be cropped off from the final print, giving you a perfectly borderless 24'' print. To my knowledge, there is no way to make a truly borderless print without sacrificing a portion of your original image (at least on a 7900/9900).

And btw, that's why I'm not so fond of borderless printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up