Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacBook Pro 17" question  (Read 1643 times)

JTFOTO

• http://
New MacBook Pro 17" question
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »

Hey There!

I have the last 17" macbook pro that came out with one firewire 400 & firewire 800 port.  I am thinking of upgrading and will miss the firewire 400 port.  As I tether to the firewire 400 and connect pocket drives to the 800 to back up to several locations.

Has anyone seen any limitations with the new machines.  Is there that much of a speed difference in the newer machines?

Are there hubs out there for firewire 800?  I guess I could transfer to USB, but seems like it could be slow.

Any user advice would be very helpful in whether to buy the new machine or hold off a bit.

JT

Jason F

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:39:49 pm »

Why not switch to eSATA for your external drives via an Express34 eSATA card?

You will have to run a USB cable to the drives for power, but it's faster than FW800, and keeps your incoming data (on the FW connection) seperate from your outgoing data (via eSATA/ExpressCard).  The only bottleneck then will be the speed of the hard drive. And if you want to get really crazy, through one of those high-end 250GB Intel SSD drives in to the machine and that thing will smoke.....

I just hate hearing people moving to USB for their external drives. It's slower, period. If you just can't deal with extra cables, then deal with the slower speed.... otherwise, deal with an extra cable or two and go eSATA.

bcooter

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:57 am »

Quote from: JTFOTO
Hey There!

I have the last 17" macbook pro that came out with one firewire 400 & firewire 800 port.  I am thinking of upgrading and will miss the firewire 400 port.  As I tether to the firewire 400 and connect pocket drives to the 800 to back up to several locations.

Has anyone seen any limitations with the new machines.  Is there that much of a speed difference in the newer machines?

Are there hubs out there for firewire 800?  I guess I could transfer to USB, but seems like it could be slow.

Any user advice would be very helpful in whether to buy the new machine or hold off a bit.

JT

For years I've shot with a fw400 from computer to p31+, using the 800 fw ports to a Lacie rugged jumped to another lacie rugged for backup.

C-1 is set to go straight to the first fw 800 rugged and then manually backed up between sessions to the next portable lacie and with the previous two generations of 17" macbook pros never had a single issue, or a single lost file (that I know of).

Now I wonder about going from fw800 to a 400 converter, etc. etc. and honestly for capture I'll just stick with the slightly older generations of powerbooks until I can't find them anymore, because my workflow works and I don't change much as long as it's working and since I have a dozen of the Lacie Rugged's I'd rather not change that system.

Now I mainly tether the Canons in usb and have few issues so probably don't need a 400 port, but still like the thought of a 400 and 800 fw port if needed.

I think one of the reasons I've had few problems is I keep the capture machine clear of everything, other than ps, c-1 and dpp and keep the startup drive clear and always view a capture machine to be used only for capture and maybe processing jpegs out on the road, but never as anything else.

BC
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:47:30 am by bcooter »

JTFOTO

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:22:59 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

After some research I went with a Sonnett Express firewire 800 card.  Works like a charm!  Let's me tether the back or camera to the main port and the express card as well if I want.  I can then have two drives connected to the express card if tethering to the main port for back up.

Highly advised if you want a 17"!  The 15" with the stupid SD card slot is not going to work for Pro's.  Which Pro level camera uses SD cards?  Only the 1Ds Mark II that I know of anymore.  What was Apple thinking?  The "Pro" named laptops need to keep an express slot if they're going to dump other firewire ports.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »

A bit late to the party but what the heck

You can buy Firewire 800 to 400 cables, I'm running one between my Leaf back and the MBP 17" works perfectly.
If you need more buy a small firewire hub they are cheap and you don't have to put more into your notebook and you have more ports.
Most don't need power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up