Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RZ67 Digital Back Adapter Plate Question  (Read 15189 times)

PLLove

RZ67 Digital Back Adapter Plate Question
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »

Ok, I'm going to give the RZ67 a whirl again.  I'm excited!  

I just purchased the Mamiya RZ67 adapter plate (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502724-REG/Mamiya_212_107_RZ_Digital_Back_Adapter.html) off Ebay.

Question:  Do you have to have the RZ67 PROIID camera or can I get buy with the PRO II with the appropriate cables?  I will be using my Leaf Aptus 22 (Mamiya mount of course).

Thanks for your help!

Patrick

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:53:44 am »

Quote from: PLLove
Ok, I'm going to give the RZ67 a whirl again.  I'm excited!  

I just purchased the Mamiya RZ67 adapter plate (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502724-REG/Mamiya_212_107_RZ_Digital_Back_Adapter.html) off Ebay.

Question:  Do you have to have the RZ67 PROIID camera or can I get buy with the PRO II with the appropriate cables?  I will be using my Leaf Aptus 22 (Mamiya mount of course).

Thanks for your help!

Patrick

Hi Patrick if you've already got a ProII body (or if it is easier/ cheaper for you) then all you need is a lens-to-back sync cable. If your camera has a motor drive and you like to trigger it remotely from the Mac then you can buy the camera-control cable as well. Both cables can be ordered through a Leaf dealer.
And don't forget to set the back to "Mamiya RZ" in the camera settings menu.

Enjoy

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

PLLove

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:13 am »

Quote from: yaya
Hi Patrick if you've already got a ProII body (or if it is easier/ cheaper for you) then all you need is a lens-to-back sync cable. If your camera has a motor drive and you like to trigger it remotely from the Mac then you can buy the camera-control cable as well. Both cables can be ordered through a Leaf dealer.
And don't forget to set the back to "Mamiya RZ" in the camera settings menu.

Enjoy

Yair

Thanks Yair!  Yeah, the PRO II is much cheaper and if the "D" isn't critical, I wont bother with the extra expensive.  Times are tight!    

I love the 645 AFDII camera (and it will remain my workhorse), but the RZ is just so fun to shoot!

-PL

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:24:09 pm »

Once you get a grip of Rz again, your other camera will end up onEbay. Have fun and welcome home.
Andre

PLLove

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:34 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
Once you get a grip of Rz again, your other camera will end up onEbay. Have fun and welcome home.
Andre

You're probably right Andre.  Looking forward to the RZ.  I still haven't purchased the camera yet.  I just got a good deal on a digital back adapter (~$300).  No anyone with a nice RZ67 PRO II or PRO IID for sell??

patrickfransdesmet

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:50:37 pm »

I use an RZ ProII with PhaseOne adapter plate for hasselblad V mount
combined for now with a P20 back
It gives such great results that I wanted to have met the RZ before I met the Hasselblad 503CW ...
Still, on film, 6x7 is GREAT !
There is nothing wrong with film,
I like particulary RZ with E100SW and PROVIA
WOW !!!

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »

You're probably right Andre.  Looking forward to the RZ.  I still haven't purchased the camera yet.  I just got a good deal on a digital back adapter (~$300).  No anyone with a nice RZ67 PRO II or PRO IID for sell??

Hello,

I've been using the Mamiya RZ for 20 years and have to say its been a pleasure.

Attached is a link to a local auction site you might be interested in.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photo...n-231793846.htm

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:18:29 am »

I get my RZ equiptment from www.keh.com
I would never sell my "portable" MF system, on location I love the AF and portablity of that camera.
But in the studio it's 90% the RZ I use.
The quality of the files is just amazing.

Voltman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:40 am »

Not sure if it affects Leaf or not but apparently there are battery drain issues with using Pro IID + P1 which aren't present on the Pro II when using a cable.  Some seem to have a preference for the Pro II because of this ...

Snook

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:08:07 am »

Quote from: Voltman
Not sure if it affects Leaf or not but apparently there are battery drain issues with using Pro IID + P1 which aren't present on the Pro II when using a cable.  Some seem to have a preference for the Pro II because of this ...

Yeh you just have to take the adaptor plate off when in storage or you can take the batteries out like I do.
No Big deal. And it is the adaptor plate and has nothing to do with leaf. I have the Mamiya adaptor plate and Phase set up and it happens also.
Snook  

PS. I too use just the RZ in studio these days and I originally bought it to be able to sync at 400/th outdoors but it is a little to big and cumbersome to use outdoor when shooting a lot of images. For portraits no problem.
Also the WLF is the only finder I can see well with. Took me a while to get the focus down but now I am getting about 80-90% in focus..:+}
If you can afford it I would get the "D" as less cables is better in my opinion.

PLLove

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:58:29 am »

Quote from: Snook
Yeh you just have to take the adaptor plate off when in storage or you can take the batteries out like I do.
No Big deal. And it is the adaptor plate and has nothing to do with leaf. I have the Mamiya adaptor plate and Phase set up and it happens also.
Snook  

PS. I too use just the RZ in studio these days and I originally bought it to be able to sync at 400/th outdoors but it is a little to big and cumbersome to use outdoor when shooting a lot of images. For portraits no problem.
Also the WLF is the only finder I can see well with. Took me a while to get the focus down but now I am getting about 80-90% in focus..:+}
If you can afford it I would get the "D" as less cables is better in my opinion.

Thanks everyone!  I think I will opt for the PRO II at this point for $$$ reasons.  There are some excellent deals right now for the bodies +110mm lens.  I will also get the 50, 140 and 180mm.

I was interested in hearing other's opinions on the finders.  Snook, it seems that the WLF is your preference.  Anyone else using the PRISM finder?

-PL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:00:13 am by PLLove »

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:11 am »

Make sure the shutters are clean on the lenses you are getting or there can be strange sync issues. If they are used and/or more than a few years old I'd have them CLA'd first.

The battery issue is with the Mamiya adapter plate only, not the Leaf.

Otherwise it is a great system. Another sleeper lens to look out for is the RB 127 KL.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:51:58 am »

I was interested in hearing other's opinions on the finders.  Snook, it seems that the WLF is your preference.  Anyone else using the PRISM finder?

-PL

WLF is the only way to focus it on DB in my opinion. WLF is dark and image looks like the light at the end of a tunnel.
Andre

Snook

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:48:37 pm »

Quote from: AndreNapier
WLF is the only way to focus it on DB in my opinion. WLF is dark and image looks like the light at the end of a tunnel.
Andre

Andre you meant Prism finder not the WLF...
And I agree 100% the prism finder looks like a long tunnel to hell.. Cannot focus worth beans with it. The only bummer with the WLF is when you have to shoot from up high and you need a ladder to get on top of the WLF to see down...
The 145 Macro "M" is also a stellar lens if you ask me.
All the lens on the RZ have great contrast and are pretty sharp.
I use the 65mm,110,145mm macro mostly. Sometimes the 180mm for beauty but havebeen using the 145 macro more lately.

Depends on what back you are using but I use the P30 and there is a crop factor, not sure about the aptus 22 is it full frame?

I am looking at buying the 50mm ULD and that will finish my RZ package. Missed one the other day mint for 525.00 so do not pay those ridiculous asking prices of 750 and above!!! Not many are moving to RZ on the contrary I see more and more people dumping MF these days.
I also got a killer deal on the 145 macro from KEH camera for around 350.00 yes 350.00 and it works flawlessly!!! I have been shopping at KEH for over 10 years now and they are great!

Snook

PS> you might want to start looking for some different prism screens as I could not focus worth beans with the original PScreen and bought a Vertical split screen and usually have no troubles.
OFcourse the Bill Maxells would be the way to go if you can find one.. I had mine ripped off from me but won't go there...LOL

In my country I had a hard time finding the 44 battery that goes in the bottom of the RZ and they seem to go quickly. Maybe the Mmaiya plate issue. Also get the WinderII for sure!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:49:47 pm by Snook »

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:56:30 pm »

I love my RZ Pro IID. ASF kindly sold me his... thanks buddy!

I would not bother with the prism unless you need it to shoot down on something. I bought
one thinking I would use it instead of the WLF... mistake. The WLF is way brighter.

I haven't had any problems focusing with the stock screen. It is pretty easy to see the focus..
and my eyes aren't 20/20 either. I would try it first before buying another screen.

I didn't want to bother with cables so I bought the (newer!) Pro IID.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »

If you are considering the RZ Pro II or Pro IID, I would ask you to look into the L-bracket that Mamiya makes.  I shoot RZ and it comes in handy when you are shooting from a ladder or even handing it to an assistant.  It is a 212-550 RZ L-Grip Holder and is about $225.00.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

RobertJ

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:08 pm »

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be totally wrong on this), the ProIID adapter will NOT work on the ProII unless it is modified by Mamiya.  

But Leaf (and now Mamiya, because of the DL28/33) has non-electronic adapters that work with the cables on the Pro and ProII non-D bodies with 36x48mm backs, so it's not a problem.

Regarding the electronic adapter on a ProII non-D body, Phase One documentation says (I know you have a Leaf back, not Phase, but it's still a Mamiya AFD mount back):

Mamiya RZ 67 PRO II:

P/P+ series Mamiya fitting can also be used with the the Mamiya adapter 70994. Note: The Mamiya RZ PRO II needs to be modifyed in a local Mamiya center. The image below show 2 small notches that have to be made. If these notches are not made - the adapter can be mounted however the camera cannot trigger at all!!! Once this modification has been done - the camerabody cannot be used with a film cassette.

http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/A...tid=SupportSite - Main

I might be wrong, and everything might be fine and dandy, but I don't want the original poster to realize that the electronic adapter won't work with his setup!  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:47:47 pm by T-1000 »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »

Thanks everyone!  I think I will opt for the PRO II at this point for $$$ reasons.  There are some excellent deals right now for the bodies +110mm lens.  I will also get the 50, 140 and 180mm.

-PL

PLove Regarding the finder...If you get a prizm with a loop, you should be able to focus fine, but I don't use it unless I am shooting down, and it is inconvenient to get a step stool or ladder.
For a working pro, that needs the speed and being versatile, I would have both. You can get the non-meter for cheap.

I changed the gglass to a Beatie and it is rather bright. Works great with the popup magnifier.

The Lgrip is very handy, yet limited. You cant keep it on and slap it on a tripod, as the large round screw blocks it being flush.  but for motion work, it is very handy.  I alway have a small strap when using the RZ off tripod, as it is weighty and taking some off the wrist is very helpful.

winder is nice for some speed shooting.

I have not had a drain issue using the V plate to Phase.....(I better check)....I hardly make use of the feedback the battery supplies.

I like the tilt shift adapter also, this helps in some situations.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Voltman

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 01:33:57 am »

Quote from: Snook

Snook have you tried moving the shutter release to the lock position as per this?  http://phaseone.com/home/Content/Support/a...Site%20-%20Main

Voltman

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 03:57:24 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I like the tilt shift adapter also, this helps in some situations.

Phil - as a note I was told the T/S adapter will not work on the Pro II because the adapter covers up the IO port where the cable would attach - apparently only works with Pro IID.  If it does work I'll be kicking my self in the a$$ as it was one of the reasons I went with the Pro IID ....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up