Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 580 EX vs. 580 EX II  (Read 9583 times)

JTFOTO

• http://
Canon 580 EX vs. 580 EX II
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »

Hey All,

I am wondering if there are any real differences other than the PC sync on the 580 EXII between the two flashes?

Power, features, controls, etc..

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JT

photogreenls

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:08:19 pm »

Quote from: JTFOTO
Hey All,

I am wondering if there are any real differences other than the PC sync on the 580 EXII between the two flashes?

Power, features, controls, etc..

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JT

There are many differences.
Here is a detailed comparison: 580EX vs 580EX II

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »

Hey All,

The new Mark II version:

• has a metal hot shoe (good)
  • has the new lever lock mechanism (good)
  • is larger (not so good)
  • uses soft keys to enable master/slave remote flash (much slower to use - not good)
  • uses a new and different external battery pack (not interchangeable w/old packs)
  • has an external PC flash sync (good)
  • may be slightly more powerful
  • emits scads of RF noise, making it almost unusable with the new Pocket Wizard TTL remotes (not good)

I have a 550EX, a 580EX, two of the new 580 EX II, and two of the 430 EX II. If I had to pick a favorite flash for off-camera remote use, the 430 EX II flashes are just terrific. Small, light, easy to use, and work perfectly with the PW TTL system.

But when I need to stick a flash in my bag for regular around-town assignments (fill flash and the like), I almost always grab the original 580 EX. I like that flash.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:10:41 pm by k bennett »
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Hank

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:52:16 pm »

It's worth doing your own power testing, as per the remarks in this thread.  All is not well according to my actual use and another's testing.

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:41:33 pm »

THANKS GUYS!!

I really appreciate it!  

That was really helpful!

runee

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:20:47 pm »

THANKS GUYS!!

I really appreciate it!  

That was really helpful!

I have a varied range of Canon's flashes. If you need the 580 specifically, the Mk2 is the obvious choice. However, if you can do without the master options (like, if you own PW's new TT1/5's) and don't need that last power it provides over the 430ex2, the latter might be a better choice in terms of bang for the bucks. As mentioned in this thread, the 430ex2 is a really nice little flash - and at least in Denmark, you could almost get 2 of those for the price of one 580ex2.

Oh.. one thing I like about the ex2 series, is that they are able to power down to 1/128th.. whereas the old models only went down as far as 1/64. (This is true for the 430's... tbh I don't remember if it also holds true for the 580's)

Another note, regarding noise and PW's - apparently, if you own the european models, they are less suspectible to the RF noise from the speedlights than the US versions (We have to use a different frequency over here). Whether it holds true or, I cannot confirm yet - they wont be delivered for another month or so *sigh* (If you own PW's, you might want to look into the 430ex2 again, as that is supposedly a very good combo in regards to noise, compared to ex1's and 580's)

Per Zangenberg

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:49 am »

Quote from: k bennett
The new Mark II version:

• has a metal hot shoe (good)
  • has the new lever lock mechanism (good)
  • is larger (not so good)
  • uses soft keys to enable master/slave remote flash (much slower to use - not good)
  • has an external PC flash sync (good)
  • may be slightly more powerful

I agree with what you wrote. I find it especially annoying that they removed the master/slave swithc.

Additional points

• Recharge time is faster than 580ex (perhaps THE most important improvement?!?)
  • I find the new on/off button can often switch on when removing the flash from my bag
Pages: [1]   Go Up