Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for Soft Proofing Black and White Images  (Read 5211 times)

davewolfs

Tips for Soft Proofing Black and White Images
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:17 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to hear any tips you have for soft proofing images for black and white printing.  One challenge that I am facing is that when I view my soft proof it seems almost as though my image goes from being a crisp B&W image to one having almost a blue tinge with the profile that I am using.  I would have to assume that this has something to do with the paper color.  Any tips on how to get your proof closer to your original in these types of cases or is this simply a case of the type of paper I am using?  If it helps, I'm trying some samples of HFA Fine Art Baryta.

Thanks,

Dave

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:18 am »

Quote from: davewolfs
Hello everyone,

I'd like to hear any tips you have for soft proofing images for black and white printing.  One challenge that I am facing is that when I view my soft proof it seems almost as though my image goes from being a crisp B&W image to one having almost a blue tinge with the profile that I am using.  I would have to assume that this has something to do with the paper color.  Any tips on how to get your proof closer to your original in these types of cases or is this simply a case of the type of paper I am using?  If it helps, I'm trying some samples of HFA Fine Art Baryta.

Thanks,

Dave
I print on an HP Z3100.  When I use the printer's driver to choose the printer's way of printing B&W the images come out neutral.  If on the other hand I don't let the printer manage color, and send an RGB file that is black and white to the printer, the softproof shows the color cast caused by the paper (I have Simulate Paper Color checked).  I have to correct this with a levels or curves adjustment, and possibly either a Color Balance adjustment or a Hue/Saturation adjustment, working by eye to get the most neutral image.  I keep a duplicate image side by side to judge.  This is the same as my procedure whether doing color or B&W.

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:38:03 am »

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I believe this got to do with the paper having OB in it, and it is evident in the ICC profile you use.

I would print a density check pattern first, with the profile you are using, to see how the print comes out, and or if any color casts. I use the HP Z3100 as well, and with the profiles I have made now, do not have the issue with color cast in my black and white, and I often mix color and black'n'white images on sheets, with no problem at all.

but you got to know your printer and your profiles ;-) so start burning some paper and ink, the proof is in the print :-)

good luck

Henrik

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »

Quote from: tived
Hi Dave,

I believe this got to do with the paper having OB in it, and it is evident in the ICC profile you use.

Yep, most likely the case that while making the profile the sensor picked up the fluorescense of the OB.

Two solutions:
if you are working in PS: disable 'simulate papercolor'
or
tweak the profile (if you have software that allows you to).

Cheers,

Huib

davewolfs

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:32:46 pm »

Quote from: hsmeets
Yep, most likely the case that while making the profile the sensor picked up the fluorescense of the OB.

Two solutions:
if you are working in PS: disable 'simulate papercolor'
or
tweak the profile (if you have software that allows you to).

Is there a standard way to tweak the profile?  Is this something I should try to ignore slightly?  Do I need to add color to compensate?

tived

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:11:04 am »

Is there a standard way to tweak the profile?  Is this something I should try to ignore slightly?  Do I need to add color to compensate?

Based on my test prints, I compensate with levels and saturation to suit, maybe a bit of curve contrast but that is usually not to for the above mention issue

Henrik

hsmeets

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:40:19 am »

Dave,

The tools&software I use (spyder) allows some minor adjusting of the profile after it has been created, adjustment as dialing out the blue tint of the paper white reading. More expensive solutions/software allow more tweaking of the profiles files.

Cheers,

Huib

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 06:00:01 pm »

What printer are you using? Have you heard about QTR and making ICC profiles?
http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html
Keith Cooper's website Northlight Images and his articals on creating ICC profiles for using QTR:
http://northlight-images.co.uk/article_pag...pro_for_bw.html
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up