Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset - looking the wrong way  (Read 1911 times)

Ed Blagden

Sunset - looking the wrong way
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:17:57 pm »

OK, I am really not too sure about this one.  I must confess, I love it, but it may just be me.  The photo was taken at sunset, just before the sun went below the horizon, and I pointed the camera North.  The idea in the photo is the vastness of the landscape, the depth of the blue sky just before it turns black, the yellowing clouds and the reflections off the swamp.  

It works for me - does it work for anyone else?

[attachment=14521:IMG_2878.jpg]

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:41:33 pm »

If you love the picture, then that's all that really matters and don't let anyone try to convince you that it is anything else but superb.

I like it too, but I would imagine it looks much better printed large to show off the drama. On my screen it certainly jumps out, the clouds are fascinating and I can just about follow lines in the swamp that eventually lead to the distant mountains. I would personally have wanted a little more detail and light in the lower part of the picture otherwise the cloud becomes the subject.

Yes, it works for me, nice one!

Pete Truman

Ed Blagden

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:12:30 am »

Quote from: pete_truman
If you love the picture, then that's all that really matters and don't let anyone try to convince you that it is anything else but superb.

I like it too, but I would imagine it looks much better printed large to show off the drama. On my screen it certainly jumps out, the clouds are fascinating and I can just about follow lines in the swamp that eventually lead to the distant mountains. I would personally have wanted a little more detail and light in the lower part of the picture otherwise the cloud becomes the subject.

Yes, it works for me, nice one!

Pete,

Yes, I have this one printed on A3+, and it looks great.  For this picture, as far as I am concerned the clouds are the subject, and the swamp and mountains are just in there to anchor everything and give the sky some scale.  In Africa we have big landscapes, but even bigger skies and not taking pictures of the sky would seem to be a terrible waste.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:16:44 am »

The clouds are great, but they need to set off against something.  Adding a bit of vibrance to the greens might help to accentuate the contrast between the sky and the ground, but overall, I like it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jtrujillo

• http://jtrujillo.net
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:54:55 am »

I've been a while looking at the image because at first I felt it was somehow simple but the more I looked at it the more I liked it so I will shut up and say only that it's a beatiful image.
juan htt

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

The shot is a true vista both in breadth and in depth. The band of light across the green marsh adds interest. Mike is likely right about some vibrance to enhance the effect. I really like this photo because it makes me  feel as if I coud walk out into it.
Jack Varney

Ed Blagden

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:10:05 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
The clouds are great, but they need to set off against something.  Adding a bit of vibrance to the greens might help to accentuate the contrast between the sky and the ground, but overall, I like it.

Mike.

Thanks to all for your kind comments about the shot.

I agree about the greens, Mike.  In fact, I did do this before posting... the original shot was very muddy down below.  However, as I am rather new to digital and Lightroom, I am still quite cautious with my colour and luminance adjustments; I have a fear of overcooking things.  Maybe as I learn more about digital processing I will get more confident about pushing the envelope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up