Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Emotion 54LV users about CF card issue  (Read 15147 times)

avelpavel

• http://www.pastrovicchio.com
Question for Emotion 54LV users about CF card issue
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:51:28 am »

Hi,

I'm using a Sinar Emotion 54LV and I have found a major issue with it.

Everything works when using it tethered, the problem comes out when I use it with CF cards: The first shots on the card are overimposed on older shots, even if you format the card many times. It happens in a random manner, so sometimes the first 3-5 shots are overimposed, sometimes the shots appear corrupted in the middle of the shooting.

The sad thing is that I can see the correct shot on the LCD, even on Exposure and on Brumbaer tools. As soon as I develop the file into dng the file change and becomes corrupt as shown in the attached image.

This problem comes out whatever CF card you use (I have tried 3 new and never used Sandisk Extreme III 8 Gb), whatever camera you use (Hasselblad 503cxi, contax 645, Silvestri Bicam).

I have pointed it out to Mafer in Italy (Sinar Italian distributor) and they talked directly to Sinar receiving the answer "We know there is a problem, we're working on it...).

Anyone has had the same problem? Any advice?

These are my 54LV data:

serial  e54-07-0180

firmware 5.09-22  (it happened with 5.08 too...)

Thanks a lot, regards

Roberto

[attachment=13216:1000.jpg]

www.robertopastrovicchio.com

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:54:16 am »

I think Graham might be in a better position to answer this because he has a 54LV, but for the record I have not seen that issue with my 75LV.

Does it happen when you shoot to the internal memory of the back? Have you tried compressed, or not compressed?

At least Sinar have acknowledged the issue so it will eventually be fixed.

Ben
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:59:11 am by bdp »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

Quote from: avelpavel
Everything works when using it tethered, the problem comes out when I use it with CF cards: The first shots on the card are overimposed on older shots, even if you format the card many times. It happens in a random manner, so sometimes the first 3-5 shots are overimposed, sometimes the shots appear corrupted in the middle of the shooting.

I have never had this problem. Are you formatting the cards in the back or using your computer?

The sad thing is that I can see the correct shot on the LCD, even on Exposure and on Brumbaer tools. As soon as I develop the file into dng the file change and becomes corrupt as shown in the attached image.

I guess the preview part of the file is ok and the raw data is corrupted?

This problem comes out whatever CF card you use (I have tried 3 new and never used Sandisk Extreme III 8 Gb), whatever camera you use (Hasselblad 503cxi, contax 645, Silvestri Bicam).

That does sound like a problem with the back then. Whether it is hardware or software, I can't tell yet.

Adina

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:40:10 am »

I have never had this problem also ...

Question : if you shot to the internal memory and copy/move later the pictures to the cf card, what happens ?
... if you connect the back via FW and look into the internal memory, is there also defect pictures ?

Greetings
Adina

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:33 am »

Quote from: Adina
I have never had this problem also ...

Question : if you shot to the internal memory and copy/move later the pictures to the cf card, what happens ?
... if you connect the back via FW and look into the internal memory, is there also defect pictures ?

Greetings
Adina

I would agree with Adina.
However "copy" the images to the CF card..........so that you have 2 copies of the images.

Electronics can sometimes be squirrelly, I had a similar issue that happened unpredictably and intermittently

The other suggestion is to format the card on your computer set to >MSDOS FAT>under the erase options
select erasing all the data.........so that the card has no information on it.
Reformat the card on your Sinar back. If this workaround is successful you will be able to shoot until your back is replaced or
repaired.
Hope your back is under warranty.........My experience with Sinar warranty and product support from their reps
(Jack Strobel/Calumet,Colin King and Dave McRitchie/SinarBron) has been absolutely excellent.

best

avelpavel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

It happens only on the CF card. When I save on both CF and internal all the images on the internal are correct, the CF images has the problem. I'm using uncompressed raw files.

I have never formatted the cards with the computer, only with the back.

I will try to move images from the internal to the CF as Adina suggest, let's see what happen.

I have never tried to format the card as DOS FAT, so I will try this too.

I'll let you know, thanks a lot!

ps The Italian Sinar reps at Mafer makes me laugh, he asked to me what is Brumbaers tools... but I think it is only a commercial who then contact Sinar techs, I hope...  The back however is under warranty fortunately.

bye

space_eos_am-1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:56:42 pm »

Hi,

I'm using a Sinar Emotion 54LV and I have found a major issue with it.

I have pointed it out to Mafer in Italy (Sinar Italian distributor) and they talked directly to Sinar receiving the answer "We know there is a problem, we're working on it...).

Anyone has had the same problem? Any advice?

These are my 54LV data:

serial  e54-07-0180

firmware 5.09-22  (it happened with 5.08 too...)

Thanks a lot, regards

Roberto

[attachment=13216:1000.jpg]

www.robertopastrovicchio.com
I used Sinar Hy6 & 54LV It never happend to me

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:24:31 pm »

Quote from: space_eos_am-1
I used Sinar Hy6 & 54LV It never happend to me

I've used the e22, the 54LV and now the 75LV - they have all been good performers.

Hopefully Sinar will be able to sort this out quickly. When they do please tell us what caused the problem.

ThierryH

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:01:42 pm »

Dear Roberto,

You know my position, and that I can't help much anymore, but I would insist to get a more precise answer and fix of this issue. It could be that some electronics are affected and this should be addressed and serviced by warranty.

All the best,
Thierry

"We know there is a problem, we're working on it..."

Goodi

• http://
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:21:22 am »

Thanks for the replies.

It happens only on the CF card. When I save on both CF and internal all the images on the internal are correct, the CF images has the problem. I'm using uncompressed raw files.

I have never formatted the cards with the computer, only with the back.

I will try to move images from the internal to the CF as Adina suggest, let's see what happen.

I have never tried to format the card as DOS FAT, so I will try this too.

I'll let you know, thanks a lot!

ps The Italian Sinar reps at Mafer makes me laugh, he asked to me what is Brumbaers tools... but I think it is only a commercial who then contact Sinar techs, I hope...  The back however is under warranty fortunately.

bye
Hi Roberto,
if the images are only defect on the CF card, than there is a fault on the CF card itself. If formatting is not helping, try to use an other card, if you have the same problem with other cards too, than format the internal storage of the eMotion.

I hope that will help.
best regards
Michael

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:55 am »

Quote from: Goodi
Hi Roberto,
if the images are only defect on the CF card, than there is a fault on the CF card itself. If formatting is not helping, try to use an other card, if you have the same problem with other cards too, than format the internal storage of the eMotion.

I hope that will help.
best regards
Michael
hi michael,
nice to hear from you, i hope you are fine and have interesting things to do .....
how to format the internal storage? i experienced the same problem with one of my e75 backs.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Goodi

• http://
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 07:49:28 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
hi michael,
nice to hear from you, i hope you are fine and have interesting things to do .....
how to format the internal storage? i experienced the same problem with one of my e75 backs.
Dear Rainer,
I cannont remember, but If you would like to know it I'm sure the Sinar support will help you.

best regards
Michael

ThierryH

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:55:44 am »

Roberto,

What Goodi says may help, BUT BE AWARE: by formating the internal storage the stored "Reference Files" of this back are deleted and not longer available. These files are automatically copied to your "Library" ("Application Support" --> "Exposure" folder) when you connect the back the first time to a computer. In the case you change your computer, you will then have to use these references files from the CD you have got with the eMotion back, since not longer stored in the back itself.

Best regards,
Thierry

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »

Quote from: ThierryH
Roberto,

What Goodi says may help, BUT BE AWARE: by formating the internal storage the stored "Reference Files" of this back are deleted and not longer available. These files are automatically copied to your "Library" ("Application Support" --> "Exposure" folder) when you connect the back the first time to a computer. In the case you change your computer, you will then have to use these references files from the CD you have got with the eMotion back, since not longer stored in the back itself.

Best regards,
Thierry
no probs with the ref files, but i still cant see any format function in the back menues. ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

bdp

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »

Me either. This is from the manual:

But when I look in 'Special Actions' I only have the option of formatting the CF card. And even if I could do it, how would I get the ref files back into the internal memory of the back? Does it happen automatically when the back is connected and eXposure is launched?

Ben
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:58:17 pm by bdp »

ThierryH

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 08:12:53 pm »

With the first "Firmwares" of the eMotion backs, that was possible from the back menu, to format the internal storage. From a certain firmware level, this internal storage formating ("Format All") was only possible from the Captureshop menu.

However, eXposure does not have this function (or at least in the last version I have worked with).

I strongly recommend to get in touch with Sinar's tech.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: bdp
Me either. This is from the manual:

But when I look in 'Special Actions' I only have the option of formatting the CF card. And even if I could do it, how would I get the ref files back into the internal memory of the back? Does it happen automatically when the back is connected and eXposure is launched?

Ben

avelpavel

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »

Hi, here I'm with some news about the 54LV.

I have tried to copy the images from the internal memory to the CF card and everything works with 3 different cards, so no problem.

Then I followed Prakash advice to format the card in the computer (with the full erase option), then in the back. After multiple tests with all the cards everything now works and I have had no overimposed images.

Now I would like to know why the back alone can't format properly the card, as these issues happened again and again with new cards out of the box...

I hope Sinar tech will get in touch with me soon, I have sent my help request together with corrupted files to the Sinar Italian distributor on April 10th, no answer until now. I will try now directly to Sinar techs.

As usual YOU Forum members are the most useful source of information and help! SO THANKS A LOT!

As soon as I receive some help from Sinar techs I'll let you know, tomorrow I will have a new test session.

Kind regards

Roberto

avelpavel

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:16 am »

A simple update of the issue:

Sinar Techs said the problem can be using the 54LV with Sandisk EXTREME III cards. Maybe the EXTREME IV cards will work, so I will give a try.

Plaese let me know which kind of CF cards you use (ULTRA II, EXTREME III or IV, LEXAR) without troubles, I think could be useful to everyone.

Regards

roberto

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:15:59 am »

I was using a Sandisk Ultra II and now an Adata Turbo (350x). I've never seen the problem. I suspect it was related to formatting.

bdp

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »

I use a Sandisk Ducati 8GB card.

Ben
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up