Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to FX or not to FX  (Read 5396 times)

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
to FX or not to FX
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:01 am »

Hello

I've got a D200, and i'm thinking about upgrading. I'm having quite a lot of hesitation between getting a FX or a DX body (or some FX glass, and get a body later on...)
One of my main motivation for the upgrade is the low-light habitlites of my set, as well as moving toward a more professionnal set (my GF is a photographer as well and we are slowly strating our business).

My budget is quite limited, can probably go to a D700 with a big stretch (otherwise a smaller body or a 70-200VR / some other lens)

Here are my questions concerning full frame cameras :

- i saw quite a few debates about bokeh quality... i couldn't find any clear FX vs DX comparison, but it seems FX allows smoother transitions. I can't really understand why and how, but it seems to be the case? Is it really that noticeable?

- About low light capacities, when struggling to keep some DoF while shooting in low light, is there really a big difference between the two format? I mean, if you consider a D700 picture at 75mm F4 and a D300 picture at 50mm F2.8... you need to shoot at one stop higher ISO to get the same picture with the D700 (considering that speed is limited in low-light) if you don't want to sacrifice DoF, but the difference in ISO capacity is said to be about 1 stop as well?? So the gain to move to full frame only means i can open my lens a bit more (which is cool anyway) or is there more to it?

Here is my current gear, if someone has advices : tamron 17-50 / Sigma 50-150 / Sigma 30 / Nikon 50 F1.8D / Nikon 105 VR (the 3 first being APS-C sized lenses).

Thanks a lot for you help, answering question and/or raising new ones

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
to FX or not to FX
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:05 pm »

While I could offer some opinions, I think a better idea is for you to get a bit of experience with full frame and form your own. You can rent the equipment you're considering buying, use it for a few shoots, and then decide.

http://www.lensrentals.com/

http://www.lensprotogo.com/~lens/index.php?pr=Home_Page

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
to FX or not to FX
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Unfortunately, i'm in Nanjing, China. I don't know how it is in other countries but here renting facilites are quite scarce and expensive (and shops allowing you to try more than one camera/lens are quite rare as well)

Quote from: jimhuber
While I could offer some opinions, I think a better idea is for you to get a bit of experience with full frame and form your own. You can rent the equipment you're considering buying, use it for a few shoots, and then decide.

http://www.lensrentals.com/

http://www.lensprotogo.com/~lens/index.php?pr=Home_Page

Plekto

to FX or not to FX
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:29:31 am »

I don't know of many people that have moved to full-frame and went back.   The ability to use/re-use old lenses is enormous.  For instance, almost all  of the older Minolta 35mm auto-focus lenses work on the A900.

Peter McLennan

to FX or not to FX
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »

I moved from a D200 to a D300 and was pleased with the additional one stop of relatively low-noise ISO.  Rather than a D700, I'll probably get a backup D300.

If you're sticking with Nikon, it's only a matter of time before you purchase a 70-200VR.  Trust me on this. : )   This lens will work with FX, should you some day decide to move up to full frame.  Bodies come and go, lenses (especially standards like the 70-200) are forever.  *Note* Rumours are that this lens is due for an upgrade very soon.  That means either that the old ones will be discounted, or that the new ones will be REALLY nice. : )

Happy choosing!

Melodi

• http://
to FX or not to FX
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:40:19 am »

I read that the DX lenses  will work with the new full frame cameras, but they do not take advantage of the full frame.  So, use what you have, but don't buy DX with the full frame cameras.  Be sure to buy FX lenses.

Jeremy Payne

to FX or not to FX
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:44 am »

I could be wrong, but I think bokeh is a lens attribute and not a sensor attribute ... others will correct me if I'm wrong for sure.

To help you help us help you to decide, I have two questions:

1) What do you typically shoot and how?  

2) What kind of output are you looking to produce? ie Prints, how big?  Web?  etc.

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
to FX or not to FX
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:58 pm »

@ Jeremy Payne : http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolas_harter/ here are my pictures. So far i shoot landscapes and people (portrait / street & events), also some product and model stuff for business with my GF (not on the flickr).

@ everybody : thanks for your replys and interest

I finally got a 70-200 VR and a 2nd-hand 85 mm F1.8D (I love that one compared to the 105VR, cute and compact). Which should give me quite some improvement on the tele-side and buy some time to improve the body...  I'll probably remain on DX for some time... the 85mm on a cropped body is just so lovely for avoiding to scare people.

duntov

to FX or not to FX
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I could be wrong, but I think bokeh is a lens attribute and not a sensor attribute ... others will correct me if I'm wrong for sure.

Technically, bokeh is attributed mostly to the aperture blade configuration of the lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up