Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G10 with dust specs  (Read 3592 times)

glacort

Canon G10 with dust specs
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:39:03 am »

This sites has praised the G10, and I agree ... but

I have it since a while (3 months and about 800 shots so far), excellent results when there is enough light, so that ISO can stay at or below 200.
I have got some spectacular shots ... but ...

A bad surprise came when I discovered gray dust spots on images, the very same I have experienced with my old Sony P200.

I wonder if it is only my camera (always carried in a case, never lose in the pocket), or if someone else has had the same issue.

Hopefully I can get it fixed but, for you all: beware !

Lorenzo

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:21:19 am »

Good luck with this and let us know.  Could the case be causing the problems?  What conditions are you shooting in?  Finally, are you sure it's on the sensor not the lens?

glacort

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »

No replies yet, as well as in another forum, then maybe just my camera has it.
The case cannot be the culprit, and yes, it is on the sensor: the lens is clean and the specks are in the same points, regardless of the zoom and more marked at long focals.

Quote from: situgrrl
Good luck with this and let us know.  Could the case be causing the problems?  What conditions are you shooting in?  Finally, are you sure it's on the sensor not the lens?

250swb

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:58:08 am »

I keep mine in the pocket of any coat I am wearing, fluff and all, and its not in a pouch. So while I haven't seen any dust yet, I'm now considering using a pouch 'just in case'. The thing is, its such a nice camera to grab and shoot with. Oh I don't know, maybe I'll just vacum out my pockets.

Steve

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Quote from: glacort
No replies yet, as well as in another forum, then maybe just my camera has it.
The case cannot be the culprit, and yes, it is on the sensor: the lens is clean and the specks are in the same points, regardless of the zoom and more marked at long focals.

If the spots are more pronounced at long focals, wouldn't it suggest that the dust is not on the sensor but on the lens? If on the sensor, the spots should be same location and size no matter what, no?

Peter

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:35:24 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
If the spots are more pronounced at long focals, wouldn't it suggest that the dust is not on the sensor but on the lens? If on the sensor, the spots should be same location and size no matter what, no?

Peter

Not necessarily. That type of camera has a very small maximum aperture at long focal lengths. And small apertures reveal dust much more easily than large ones. The only way to be sure would be to test the same aperture at both long and short focal lengths.
Pages: [1]   Go Up