Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimum f stop for H3DII-39  (Read 1548 times)

photolinia

Optimum f stop for H3DII-39
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:11 pm »

Hi

As I've already posted here before, I'm a Nikon user who is about to try out an H3D-II39 for a weekend to see if this is something
I might want to consider going into...

I'm trying to prepare in advance so I don't have to spend the entire wekeend figuring out how this thing works...

I've just read (and found very helpful) this article - also written by a 35mm user trying out H3D-39 for the first time...

http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com/2008/11/09...lad-experience/

In this article he mentions something that I have been contemplating...
My goal for this weekend willbe to try to use H3D to produce some studio images with outstanding sharpness and quality,
but what f stop would be optimal?

On the one hand, you would think that I would need a smaller aperture to fight  decreased DOF of the medium format,
on the other hand, with high resolution sensors, you start running into diffraction problems sooner...

Even a D3X is considered by some to be an f13 diffraction limited camera, where you start losing sharpness (though still increasing
DOF) by going to f13 and beyond...

What f stops do you typically use?

Thanks!
-ilya

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:43:43 pm »

Quote from: photolinia
Hi

As I've already posted here before, I'm a Nikon user who is about to try out an H3D-II39 for a weekend to see if this is something
I might want to consider going into...

I'm trying to prepare in advance so I don't have to spend the entire wekeend figuring out how this thing works...

I've just read (and found very helpful) this article - also written by a 35mm user trying out H3D-39 for the first time...

http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com/2008/11/09...lad-experience/

In this article he mentions something that I have been contemplating...
My goal for this weekend willbe to try to use H3D to produce some studio images with outstanding sharpness and quality,
but what f stop would be optimal?

On the one hand, you would think that I would need a smaller aperture to fight  decreased DOF of the medium format,
on the other hand, with high resolution sensors, you start running into diffraction problems sooner...

Even a D3X is considered by some to be an f13 diffraction limited camera, where you start losing sharpness (though still increasing
DOF) by going to f13 and beyond...

What f stops do you typically use?

Thanks!
-ilya

Seems like a simple question but it depends on what you consider an acceptable loss of sharpness due to diffraction. Also, the pixel size of the back is only one consideration. Just stop a Mamiya 120mm to f/22 and a Hasselblad 120mm to f/22 with the same resolution back to see what I mean.

For what it's worth I personally will shoot a P45+ (very similar to the H3D-39) at F/11 if my goal is my own personal balance of reasonable depth of field and sharpness. f/16 I have little problem with if I need depth of field. f/22 I rarely use in any situation. f/32 never (available on some lenses).

It will also vary a bit between each lens.

The only way you'll truly answer this question is to shoot each f-stop for yourself and decide what matters to you. Fortunately with digital this will only take a few minutes.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:12:08 am »

I think it will go down to the distance between lens and subject, and which lens in use. I think the safest is f/11-13, f/16 with some lenses, beyond that, I think H3D39II can go may be f/18-f/22 but with P45+ on Contax I simply stop at f/16 max. I am not sure if it is due to the APO adjustment on Phocus.  Each lens has its strong and weak spot, one would need to really use it to find out what is best for the user.

Regards, K

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:39:29 am »

I don't go past f11 with my D3x!
Even with my now sold Hy6 I didn't go past f11.
In case you need more DOF use Helicon.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Professional

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:43 am »

I love shooting at any f-stop, i use my H3D2-39 from f2.8 up to f22, even i did 100% and crop, all show great results, but the most f i am using is f16 down to f11, so f11-f16 90%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up