Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 leaves line of indententations on paper  (Read 10793 times)

pindman

Epson 9900 leaves line of indententations on paper
« on: March 20, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »

I love my 9900.... except it's making a row of 1 inch long indentations, about 2 inches from the leading edge if roll paper.  This ruins the print.  I've only noticed this with Harman FBAl paper.  A very arrogant rep at Epson "preferred" support told me that this is caused by the pressure roller and is entirely normal.  He told me I need to unload the roll paper between every print.  

Currently the options are one of the following.

1.  Unload the paper between every print and reload it to print.  Then print immediately.  That greatly increases the work and time required to print and is unacceptable.  If I am using the bar codes to track the paper remaining and type I have to waste several inches of paper (adds up for 48" paper) for each print.

2.  Print an extra 3" top border and trim it by hand.  Extra work and wasted paper.  Have to buy a bigger paper cutter.

3.  Use thinner paper.  I bought the printer to make large museum quality prints on my favorite paper.    Harman FBAl is well within Epson's claimed specs for paper.  The specs don't say the 9900 only handles Epson papers.

Needless to say, this flaw cripples the printer.  Julian at Spectraflow (where I purchased it) is very helpful and is trying to reach someone higher up at Epson.  

Meanwhile, it will be helpful to know if anyone else has noticed this with the 7900/9900 with Harman or other papers.

Thanks.

Paul

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »

Sounds like the 9900 is carrying on the long tradition of putting roller marks where you describe.  My 7800 did it, my 9880 does it, the beat goes on.

The cure...release the lever when you turn off the printer, or when you plan to let the printer sit idle for more than 20 or minutes.  Put the lever back in the clamped position just before you turn the printer back on or when you're ready for the next print.  At least on my printers this did not ever require me to realign the media as long as the roll was not disturbed.

pindman

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:21:13 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Sounds like the 9900 is carrying on the long tradition of putting roller marks where you describe.  My 7800 did it, my 9880 does it, the beat goes on.

The cure...release the lever when you turn off the printer, or when you plan to let the printer sit idle for more than 20 or minutes.  Put the lever back in the clamped position just before you turn the printer back on or when you're ready for the next print.  At least on my printers this did not ever require me to realign the media as long as the roll was not disturbed.

I would do that...if there was a lever on the 9900.  Unforunately there's a button which automatically rewinds the paper when the roller is released.  I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Epson to separate the functions, perhaps two presses of the button to rewind.  But for now it's not possible.

Paul

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:25:24 am »

Quote from: pindman
I would do that...if there was a lever on the 9900.  Unforunately there's a button which automatically rewinds the paper when the roller is released.  I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to get Epson to separate the functions, perhaps two presses of the button to rewind.  But for now it's not possible.

Paul

Not a smart move then. On the 9000s and 10000s you could release the pressure with the handle. Any printer will have that mark but on the Z3100 it is very close to the edge, with the default 5mm print margin it is difficult to see that mark.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

pindman

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Not a smart move then. On the 9000s and 10000s you could release the pressure with the handle. Any printer will have that mark but on the Z3100 it is very close to the edge, with the default 5mm print margin it is difficult to see that mark.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thanks, Ernst.  Anyone else with this problem?

Paul

Doombrain

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »

No problem here and none with any Epson. You’re meant to unload the printer after use or cut away the leading edge if you prefer to leave the media in.
There’s nothing you can do about the marks if you leave the media in.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 04:36:18 am »

Interesting. We had this with swellable polymer media with the HP DJ models. I had all but forgotten about it with the Z series. Seems Ernst is aware there is a very small area 5mm or so where the media is clamped that may or may not show but is certainly not  a large area.   I do remeber users saying that with the 76+7800s there was some indents on the clamped areas if left in for long periods.

Is the 79+9900 series marking more than the older printers?

Gemmtech

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:56:05 pm »

I've been reading the owners manual for the 7900 and I'm wondering what this means? "Do not leave roll paper in the printer when it is not in use"

I'm not being sarcastic here, but if you use the printer once per 2 days, are they saying don't leave the paper in there?   How about 1 time per week?  Define "Not in use"?

I'm not sure I understand what happens, does it just leave a mark at the beginning of the print?  It doesn't make sense that you'd have to change anything between prints.  One of the advantages to having a roll in there is so you don't have to load sheets.  I want to install a roll and leave it in there and when we need it it's ready willing and able to print.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:58:24 pm by Gemmtech »

neil snape

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:11:59 pm »

It's not going to mark all papers all the time. It will leave indents where the pinch rollers clamp the paper on some media, usually soft natural fibres such as cotton. This is not a new thing, but perhaps with the 79+9900 the pinch wheels are placed at a more inward placement than the older series.
 For most prints that are cut down it doesn't make much difference other than waste materials depending on the intervals of time of idle, paper in feed path cycles, and the media type of course.

pindman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:40:00 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
It's not going to mark all papers all the time. It will leave indents where the pinch rollers clamp the paper on some media, usually soft natural fibres such as cotton. This is not a new thing, but perhaps with the 79+9900 the pinch wheels are placed at a more inward placement than the older series.
 For most prints that are cut down it doesn't make much difference other than waste materials depending on the intervals of time of idle, paper in feed path cycles, and the media type of course.

The roller makes the marks in several MINUTES.  So if you need 15 minutes between prints you need to remove the paper or cut off about 3".  With 48" fine-art roll paper this is about $1.75 waste per print.  

Seems like a software/firmware fix to unclamp the roller without removing the paper would be all it would take to fix it.

Paul

Gemmtech

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

The roller makes the marks in several MINUTES.  So if you need 15 minutes between prints you need to remove the paper or cut off about 3".  With 48" fine-art roll paper this is about $1.75 waste per print.  

Seems like a software/firmware fix to unclamp the roller without removing the paper would be all it would take to fix it.

Paul

Paul,  Read the other 7900 thread, Wayne states it does it on his 11880 but it hasn't happened to him with his 7900.  Do you own a 7900?  (I'm assuming you do) and you are having this problem?  It does seem like an easy fix

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:08:02 pm »

Quote from: Gemmtech
Paul,  Read the other 7900 thread, Wayne states it does it on his 11880 but it hasn't happened to him with his 7900.  Do you own a 7900?  (I'm assuming you do) and you are having this problem?  It does seem like an easy fix

yep, I've yet to see this on the 7900, although my 11880 will do it if I leave the paper in over night.  As I mentioned in the other thread, the ipf6100 also did it if I left the paper in for a couple of days.

awsstudios

• http://
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 12:57:14 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
yep, I've yet to see this on the 7900, although my 11880 will do it if I leave the paper in over night.  As I mentioned in the other thread, the ipf6100 also did it if I left the paper in for a couple of days.

I have had the 9900 for 3 months, and have left with paper in for 2 weeks while out of town and have yet to see this happen. i am very glad i have not had this happen yet. it was annoying on 4800 and 9800, and without the manual paper release it would be worse on x900. Although, the first thing i do everytime i start up the printer is print a nozzle check anyway which uses a little over 3" of paper.

pindman

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 01:40:26 am »

There's barely room for me in the house with the 9900, so I don't also have a 7900.  I've only tried a few papers in it, and it seems specific so far to the Harman FbAl.  I'd be interested in knowing if you've tried this paper in a 7900.  And you don't need to leave it in overnight.  I'm talking about minutes, not hours.  Thanks!

Paul

neil snape

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:27 am »

Paul

If it is specific media that marks so easily then the only solution would be to have a firmware that releases the pinch wheels after printing. Or it might be time for Harman to change the media base for Epson.

If it marks in minutes then even unloading the paper would have to be done very shortly after printing otherwise the same wastage would occur. Is it possible you have a unit that the wheels are overly tight?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
If it is specific media that marks so easily then the only solution would be to have a firmware that releases the pinch wheels after printing. Or it might be time for Harman to change the media base for Epson.

If it marks in minutes then even unloading the paper would have to be done very shortly after printing otherwise the same wastage would occur. Is it possible you have a unit that the wheels are overly tight?

Is this setting controlled by the media type?  Is there a chance setting the printer to a different media type may use less pressure?

I think I'd call Epson again, try talking to a different person.  The response sounds odd to me, and the idea that you would have to unload roll paper nearly every time you made a print doesn't sound like an expectation Epson would have.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:31:26 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up