Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures taken in China during November  (Read 1806 times)

Billwaa

Pictures taken in China during November
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:53 am »

Hi,

I have been doing graphic design for a while, mainly logo design, banner... however, I am completely new to photography, so I need some advises.

Since my camera is not so good, I have to do lots of editing in Photoshop, hopefully that's not considered cheating.

I don't know how to adjust the settings (ISO, EV, White Balance, shutter speed...) manually, nor know what they exactly do, so I just use the modes that came with the camera.

Here are a couple pictures that I took from my trip to China, and did some editing in Photoshop.

thanks for reading...

[attachment=11880:ultimatemergeedit.jpg]
For this one, I can see the view perfectly from where I stand. But my camera, like always, can't take a picture wide enough for the entire view, so I took a couple pictures / video and merge them together using PS.

[attachment=11881:phoneixsmall.png]
This one is taken in an ancient city inhabited by minorities a couple hours away from the town in the first picture.

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:54:16 am »

they are pretty good

in your second image i would take a closer look at the importance of the hills in the background..... i think ythat you need to either decide if ther are more or less important to the image.... currently they pull the attendtion of the eye away from the city, which to me is the really interesting part of the image. if it were me i would desaturate them a little to bring the attention back to the city, or i could frame the image from a higher perspective so that the exageration of them over the city is more limited.

hopefully that is clear... might not be.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:14:21 am »

Hi There:

Welcome to the list!  There is an abundance of information around the 'net about basic things like exposure, ISO, white balance, etc.  How much you learn really depends on where you want your photography to take you.  By understanding the basic structures of photography, learning the 'rules' so to speak, you can then come to know how to apply those rules and when and how to break them.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

MR.FEESH

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43:11 am »

Hey Bill!

I really like the first one, too bad you couldn't do a long(er) sweeping panorama.
That'd be cool to print as a huge poster on a wall if you had good enough resolution...

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

Billwaa

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:26:13 pm »

hey guys, thanks for the advices.
I play with the 2nd one for a while.
Somehow just couldn't get it right.
This is what I got now.
I think the city stand out a bit more.