Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 - HP Everyday Satin... paper too cold/blue ?  (Read 2097 times)

tived

• http://
Z3100 - HP Everyday Satin... paper too cold/blue ?
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:13:16 am »

Hi everyone,

We use the HP Everyday Satin (i think that is was it is called, or Everyday sating pigmented ink), we use it for windows posters (IMHO its too shiny for this purpose, but I just print! :-) )

anyway, I find this paper as well as the Instant Dry Satin Paper both to be too cold or blue. Up till now we have been profiling using the built in solution, but its too blue for my taste, we are a portrait studio.

I have over the weekend borrowed  EyeOne Proof profiling solution (iOne Proof), I have calibrated several papers both for this printer as well as my older Epson 4000, almost all have been successful, and those that have not, I am redoing tonight.

However, I am a bit lost with these two papers ID satin photo paper and Everyday Satin, both similar - both very cheap (and nasty).

Is anyone else experiencing this, if so or if not, what did you do?

I would love to hear

thanks

Henrik

tived

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:42:09 am »

Just to add, when I soft proof, it is also showing a blue cast, I could obviously remove this with an adjustment layer, but would it not be possible to profile the system, so that what I see is what I print. On most other papers, I get what I see, well almost :-)

back to the drawing board, maybe print target again, dry and read the patches again...man I am loosing the little hair I have left :-)

thanks

Henrik

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:02 am »

Quote from: tived
Hi everyone,

We use the HP Everyday Satin (i think that is was it is called, or Everyday sating pigmented ink), we use it for windows posters (IMHO its too shiny for this purpose, but I just print! :-) )

anyway, I find this paper as well as the Instant Dry Satin Paper both to be too cold or blue. Up till now we have been profiling using the built in solution, but its too blue for my taste, we are a portrait studio.

I have over the weekend borrowed  EyeOne Proof profiling solution (iOne Proof), I have calibrated several papers both for this printer as well as my older Epson 4000, almost all have been successful, and those that have not, I am redoing tonight.

However, I am a bit lost with these two papers ID satin photo paper and Everyday Satin, both similar - both very cheap (and nasty).

Is anyone else experiencing this, if so or if not, what did you do?

I would love to hear

thanks

Henrik

There are Optical Brighteners in the ID Satin and Everyday papers. The Z3100 internal calibration uses an UV filter on the spectrometer so will not take into account the bluish reflection of the paper white when UV light is reaching that coating. Your display of the paper isn't without UV light, despite some UV cutting by normal window glass. It would be wiser to use a Spectrometer without UV filter and a profile creator that compensates the tone range to more neutral colors. The paper white will stay too blue, even the gloss enhancer can't get that compensated. You didn't mention the use of gloss enhancer BTW. The other way around (and a better way given the portrait content) is to get a paper that has less OBA like the HP Professional Satin Photo Paper and start from there. There are some matt varieties as well with less OBA.

Edit: even with a low OBA paper the higher Kelvin number of daylight (clouded sky or not) will shift the color perception to cooler so either you adapt the image data to the display conditions 6500K+ or make a custom profile adaption for that work.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:57:37 am by Ernst Dinkla »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:24:11 am »

Yes this paper has a lot of OBA, and it's Metameric Index ( assumed, not measured)  is not that good, so expect quite a variation depending on light spectrum.
HP do have a paper that does the opposite, which is their HP Baryte. It keeps skin tones quite warm without any significant change in any light I've seen. It is not a warm tone paper but one of a bright white with little or no OBA with a yellow around b2.4 .
The Instant Dry and Everyday are okay for quick prints not much more.

Pro Satin albeit a smaller gamut, has a much better base, much higher reliability in variable light and overall is one of the best papers for gallery printing for HP pigment inks.

tived

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »

Thanks heaps Ernst and Neil,

It looks like my profile I made with the iOne Pro (Proof kit) did the trick - i now have better skin tones in both papers. Though I personally still don't like the feel of the papers - the poster paper (Evreyday Satin) is fine for its purpose, hanging display prints in the window, but I am not very keen on the tangibleness of the Instant Dry Satin Photo Paper, it is just aweful.

Thanks to both of you guys you are a great contribution to this and other forums that have seen you both on, thanks for keep giving you make our world better

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up