Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED: Gelly roll or gel storage "object"  (Read 2033 times)

Jonathan H

• http://
WANTED: Gelly roll or gel storage "object"
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

Just picked up a various medley of 50-60 gels from a studio going out of business, but now I need a more sensible way to store/transport them than an old cardboard poster tube.  

They're only about $50, but I figured if anyone has an extra lying around they can sell, they get some cash, I save some cash, everyone is happy.

So if the above line describes you, please e-mail me with what you have, its condition, and your asking price shipped to NJ, 07666.

PS - To clarify, I am looking for the Gelly Roll that holds 20"x24" sheets, like this one: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/GO2000/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:33:19 am by Jonathan H »
Long walks on the beach, nights by the f

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:01:57 am »

I does suck that the Gelly Rolls are as expensive as they are.  I held off getting one too.  Finally just had to buy one because I got sick and tired of my self made one not working very well.  If I needed another and had a  good sewing machine, which I do not have hence my bad homemade version,  I'd make one.  All they are is some sort of vinyl (fabric store) and PVC pipe.  I'm also thinking that mine might have a time of it trying to hold 60 gels.  If you made one you could lengthen it some so it can handle that amount.  If your interested I'll give you the dimensions of mine.  Hell.  Make two of them so you can separate CTB from CTO etc.  Bit of a PITA flipping through that many to get the one you want.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:06:51 am by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:40 am »

I use the thick, hard cardboard shipping tubes that the gels come in. I've got four tubes that have lasted well over 5 years each. When pack up, I simply roll up the gels and slide 'em into their tube. I've packed these tubes in Lightware soft cases and checked 'em as luggage without any damage.
~ CB

michaelnotar

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:21:10 pm »

i use 4-5 tubes 2 or 3 inches in dia. i still have the origional tube thats 6 years old, they last a while. i store my CTO, CTB, +green, neutral Denisity, and diffusion in separate tubes. works well, i can through all the gells in with my light stands and let them all bang around. i probably have 5-10 gels in each 2" and 20+ in the 3" CTO tube. i think my total cost was $15

i bought a lot of my gels from a store that kept them in shallow box drawers that seems really great if you are going to keep them in a studio.

i keep small 10x12s in a expandable accordian w/20+ divisions for each filter/density briefcase thing from officemax . perhaps make a larger one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:25:25 pm by michaelnotar »

LA30

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09:29 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up