Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie Leibowitz  (Read 62810 times)

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:46 pm »

Just to contradict myself, abiity to get close "access" to the fauna is most definitely a core skill for a wildlife photographer.
[/quote]

Are the two not branches of the same thing, celebrity and wildlife?

Rob C

Misirlou

• http://
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Just to contradict myself, abiity to get close "access" to the fauna is most definitely a core skill for a wildlife photographer.

Are the two not branches of the same thing, celebrity and wildlife?

Rob C

At first I though about saying something like, "Yes, but the celebrity won't chew off your arm, or spit venom in your eyes, so the wildlife photgrapher also has to have the skills to get away from the fauna." Then I realized that was a distinction without a difference, in this case.

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 10:34:10 am »

Quote from: Misirlou
At first I though about saying something like, "Yes, but the celebrity won't chew off your arm, or spit venom in your eyes, so the wildlife photgrapher also has to have the skills to get away from the fauna." Then I realized that was a distinction without a difference, in this case.

You see the benefits of life in New Mexico: you can have your cake and eat it too.

Rob C

Misirlou

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:01 pm »

You see the benefits of life in New Mexico: you can have your cake and eat it too.

Rob C

Indeed. Did you see that here in New Mexico, Christian Bale acted like some of that dangerous wildlife? Complete with the venom in the face and threats of arm removal.

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 05:12:41 am »

Indeed. Did you see that here in New Mexico, Christian Bale acted like some of that dangerous wildlife? Complete with the venom in the face and threats of arm removal.

Who is Christian Bale? Sorry, couldn´t resist that; made me think of men of straw.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:13:08 am by Rob C »

Misirlou

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:57 am »

Who is Christian Bale? Sorry, couldn´t resist that; made me think of men of straw.

Rob C

I never bother to read stories about the foibles of actors or musicians, so when I hear about them at all, it's from friends, radio or TV. I have no idea how is name spelled, only I'm thinking the letters "ass" ought to be in there somewhere.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 11:10:24 am »

I never bother to read stories about the foibles of actors or musicians, so when I hear about them at all, it's from friends, radio or TV. I have no idea how is name spelled, only I'm thinking the letters "ass" ought to be in there somewhere.
I also wouldn't believe a lot of the press about celebrities, so much of it is made up either by newpapers/magazines to sell more copies or by idiot PR people to keep attention on their clients.
Sometimes celebrities get so fed up with all the nonsense, they start making lots of it up themselves to make the media look stupid. Moby very amusingly did that when he suddenly became megafamous.
I've worked a few times with a well known actor who avoids the idiot press and at one time had trouble when visiting his home town as the media said he hated the place, he didn't , but it sold papers, so who cares if people get hurt in the process.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

lisa_r

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:55 pm »

You want to see some nice nudes by Annie? IMO, these are some of her best images:

http://www.houkgallery.com/leibovitz-women/leibovitz.html

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 03:56:23 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
IMO, these are some of her best images:

Then God help the rest. If you wish to look at meat on a slab, then in my opinion you have found the right place. I fully understand why the rotten illumination.

Rob C

Ray

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 09:55:03 am »

Then God help the rest. If you wish to look at meat on a slab, then in my opinion you have found the right place. I fully understand why the rotten illumination.

Rob C

My thoughts were similar, Rob. I don't find those nudes in the least inspiring. Perhaps her goal was, zero titillation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:01:36 am by Ray »

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 11:45:56 am »

Quote from: Ray
My thoughts were similar, Rob. I don't find those nudes in the least inspiring. Perhaps her goal was, zero titillation.

If so, Ray, then she achieved her aim!

I have a problem with this sort of stuff, in that it seems to have little raison d´étre other than to be the opposite of glamour, so much the opposite that it ends up holding hands with the very genre that it has been designed to defeat; a complete circle, in fact, where the two opposing styles become one in unpleasantness.

I have a theory, which is just a theory, which postulates that ultra successful photographers develop a sort of guilt or doubt about their success, a vague suspicion that they really do have feet of clay, and that there grows a need to venture into fresh pastures in a quest for new, but totally unnecessary, validation. It would seem that this sometimes takes them in the direction of "art" photography, an endeavour which has enough uncertainties of its own to make their emotional state a hundred times worse than it might have been if they had simply accepted their glory for what it is and just got on with the job of doing well in their professional life.

Ah, the woes and angst of the famous.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:40:29 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 02:08:31 pm »

See this!

Jeremy

Petrjay

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »

You got me Jeremy. I didn't realize I was looking at The Onion until I got to the part about Nicole having the power to decapitate a human being. Goes to show how we've come to expect insanity when we read about the exploits of entertainers these days. Small wonder that people like Nick Brandt prefer to take their chances with lions and hippos; and after seeing what's left of Joachin Phoenix on the Letterman program last week, I'd say it's a good bet that the wildlife smells a bit better as well.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 08:49:52 am »

Quote from: Ray
Rob C
Neither of you have quite grasped the concept of different tastes have you? And it's somewhat arrogant to assume your taste is so superior to everyone else's. You sound like some dodery old codgers bemoaning the clothes the young are wearing and the awful music they listen to, which only shows how little and not how much they know.
Plus [art] nude photos are not just for sexual titilation, if that's what you want, buy an appropriate magazine.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:51:38 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Ray

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 09:09:04 am »

Quote from: jjj
Neither of you have quite grasped the concept of different tastes have you? And it's somewhat arrogant to assume your taste is so superior to everyone else's. You sound like some dodery old codgers bemoaning the clothes the young are wearing and the awful music they listen to, which only shows how little and not how much they know.
Plus [art] nude photos are not just for sexual titilation, if that's what you want, buy an appropriate magazine.

Yes we have, jjj. We are both old enough to know that tastes can vary wildly. There's sometimes no accounting for taste. What I'm interested in is learning why something I find totally uninteresting, might actually be a valuable comment on something.

You have failed in your above post to inform us (or anyone else) why you think those nudes by Annie Leibovitz are interesting. Your response is no more than an ad hominem attack.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:14:17 am by Ray »

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 11:03:24 am »

Actually, most of of the opposition to her work in this thread insists on mentioning her success and her proximity to celebrity...

Rob C

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:37 pm »

Futt Futt, again you jump to conclusions about the desires of another. I am, if anything, less interrested in erotic images than I have ever been, but if you wish to include eroticism (implied by the suggestion of magazines) then Mz L fails utterly to produce it, by my measurements, and fails as utterly to provide any alternative emotional connect for me other than one of revulsion (of the images, not of herself).

Should one wish to do nudes, then if not a celebration of beauty, what do we have - its opposite? Scenes from an abattoir come to mind in this instance. Quite seriously though, and not wishing to score points at all, what can be the purpose of doing nudes unless to create beauty? Can it be the buzz of the presence of a naked person when you are, presumably, not naked too? Is the buzz to do with physical presence and a sense of sexual power over another? Is it a need simply to look at a naked other? Of Ms L´s sexuality I know little other than what is implied in her sister´s documentary, so perhaps it´s a sexual thing anyway, much as it often is between male photographer and female model on some levels.

By the way, I can´t quite find where I claimed to have superior taste to anyone else; I might well so have, but I´d let that remain my little secret. Music? How far back does your taste go? I could have given you a run for your money with jazz, vintages New Orleans, Chicago, St Louis etc. through r´n´b and r´n´r and diversions into swing but what would that prove, other than I care little for much that happened post Stones, as I think you once declared - or was it post Beatles? Much the same time, anyway. But still eff-all to do with that series of abysmal naked corpses which is where we came in.

And the age references; what makes you think Ms Annie is some spring chicken? What makes you make the connection between age (your personal cutt-off number not mentioned) and having valid opinions? Do people older than you frighten you, shame you, embarrass you or just turn you off? What a mysterious concept hidden within there somewhere!

Rob C

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:39 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
You want to see some nice nudes by Annie? IMO, these are some of her best images:

I suppose that depends on what her intent was with these. I find they create a mild sense of revulsion and are vaguely disturbing. That's my emotional response, and if she was going for something like that, then they worked on me. (However, I must admit it is a bit hard to tell looking at something barely larger than a postage stamp.)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »

Quote from: Iron Flatline
Actually, most of of the opposition to her work in this thread insists on mentioning her success and her proximity to celebrity...

I personally don't like Leibowitz's work, especially the portraits. I always get the feeling when looking at her pictures that she is more kind of photographing herself than her subjects.

blansky

Annie Leibowitz
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 07:20:58 pm »

Quote from: Iron Flatline

But that's the point.

Her success is due to her subject matter which is over managed, over marketed and over hyped celebrity. The saying "if you want to be a famous photographer, photograph famous people" applies.

However that does not make the work great, just over managed, over marketed and over hyped.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up