Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wacom & Photoshop - tilt opacity variation  (Read 7206 times)

jfsavage

Wacom & Photoshop - tilt opacity variation
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:27 pm »

I have an intuos 3 Wacom tablet and I can set the brushes in Photoshop to vary opacity based on tilt. However, with the pen upright and using black ink on white background, I get a 47/47/47 RGB (about 82%). With the pen tilted over as far as it will go and still tough, I get 77/77/77 RGB (about 70%).

This seems wowfully inadequate. I have tried setting tilt sensitivity to maximum, but that does not seem to make any difference. I was hoping that upright (90 degrees) would give me 100% opacity and full tilt would be near 0% opacity.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the Wacom/Photoshop combination lame?

Thanks,

Jonathan

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:28 pm »

Hi Jonathan,

In Photoshop have you set up - Brushes, Brush Presets, Brush Tip Shape? - make sure Shape Dynamics is enabled

Regards,
Ron

jfsavage

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:10:28 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
Hi Jonathan,

In Photoshop have you set up - Brushes, Brush Presets, Brush Tip Shape? - make sure Shape Dynamics is enabled

Yes, I tried with shape dynamics disabled and other dynamics enabled and opacity set to 'pen tilt'

I've also tried shape dynamics enabled and size set to pen pressure, other dynamics enabled and opacity set to 'pen tilt'

If I set shape dynamics enabled and size set to pen tilt, the tilt is ignored and size is based on pressure.

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:15 pm »

Jonathan,

It should work the way you expect. I can get from black to almost invisible by tilting the pen. It seems that I have it set up the same way as you, however, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I have other dynamics->Opacity Control->Pen Tilt. Nothing else in the brushes panel is clicked except smoothing and it works. I assume you are painting with a dark color to start with.

I'll try attaching a sample to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:57:27 pm by MarkM »

button

• http://
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:24:44 pm »

Have you openned the Wacom tablet settings (in the control panel, I believe, on a PC)?  Maybe your tilt sensitivity isn't set properly there.

John

jfsavage

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:51:48 pm »

Quote from: MarkM
Jonathan,

It should work the way you expect. I can get from black to almost invisible by tilting the pen. It seem that I have it set up the same way as you, however, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I have other dynamics->Opacity Control->Pen Tilt. Nothing else in the brushes panel is clicked except smoothing and it works. I assume you are painting with a dark color to start with.

I'll try attaching a sample to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

It's good to know it is supposed to work. I had a Graphire tablet installed before, and I've uninstalled the driver, but I wonder if there is still some issue there.

jfsavage

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »

Having played around uninstalling and installing the wacom drivers, I now have the tilt functionality working in PS CS3, but not CS4 (32 or 64 bit versions) - Googling further, it seems like this is a common problem ;{
Pages: [1]   Go Up