Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H question  (Read 13068 times)

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Hasselblad H question
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »

I bought a Hasselblad H2 recently. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

What case/bag do you keep your Hasselblad H in?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »

Glossary plastic bag.

It's free

Sorry what question is that?

Go to the coffee corner to ask for that.

BlasR.
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

ziocan

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »

Quote from: BlasR
Glossary plastic bag.

It's free

Sorry what question is that?

Go to the coffee corner to ask for that.

BlasR.
I'm always amazed when adults ask questions like that. not even mentioning photographers.
Any Temba or Pelican of the appropriate size will do.
BTW, if you get a Phase back, it should come with a Pelican case (it is actually another brand for scuba diving gear, but it looks alike), If you replace the foam and custom cut it, it will fit the back, the body and a couple of lenses.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:51:51 pm by ziocan »

SeanBK

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:25 pm »

Quote from: Dolce Moda Photography

It all depends on your use & equipments to be transported. Lenses, Flashes... In my case I use Amabilia or Billingham. For corporate gigs where I can roll Amabila across the parking lot. I was taking Landscaping pictures in Maine, Vermont.. then Billingham was the only option. If I am in unsavory environment then I might get something else just for that shoot.

Alex MacPherson

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:38:46 pm »

How is this question any different than asking what lens you favor?

I want opinions. I know any bag/case will do.

Gotta love the internet... everyone wants to show what a (t)wit they are.

Cheer up people
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »

I use a Delsey most of the time. It will carry the body/back/L-bracket plus a 100 or 80mm in one compartment with my Elinchrom Skyport set on top. Spare batteries (back & body), blower, extention rings and the 50-110 in the middle compartment. A 28 & 50 or the 35 & 150, or the 210 & 28 or any other combination or sometimes a spare body & spare back (body & back separated) in the last compartment. In the side pockets I keep several firewire cables, CF cards, sync cables. In the front pocket I keepl grey cards, cleaning stuff, torx screw driver, radio remote release & other small stuff.

This bag is not even that big so everything is kind of placed exactly in the same place always to fit. I like to put everything always at the same place, this way I can work faster and my equipment lasts longer. The bag does get pretty heavy.

I hate the cases to work with. With the bag I still have the feeling I can carry it around still. I also have my lights in soft bags instead of cases.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 02:59:32 pm by Dustbak »

DavidP

• papas.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »

I use a lightware case, it is fitted to carry the camera and extra lenses. I have the wheel attachment thing too. I have the older airline onboard size, there is a newer one that is a little smaller that will fit in overheads currently.
They are not  completely water tight but provide good protection otherwise and is easy to work out of.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 03:04:44 pm »

depends what you are doing with it. i have a soft flying case, a pelican to lug it around with all its lenses- bloody heavy tho. but the pelican is rugged and safe, and i tend to trolley it with other cases stacked, or an assist lugs it around. the other good thing about a peli, is that you open the case and all the lenses are there- easy access in a hurry. and you can stand on the case instead of needing apple cases. i use to use a peli 1550, but have recnty got a 1600 when the kit grew. you need more size than you think, as all the gaps get filled with cables, chargers and crap.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Alex MacPherson

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 04:44:24 pm »

Thanks! I will look at Pelican. I see that Hasselblad offers their pro-kit with the Pelican 1510. I will check that out
I would like a durable case that I can travel with.

Thanks again
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

ziocan

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 04:47:13 pm »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:17:17 am by ziocan »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 05:48:04 pm »

Dolce, you might be best off going to your nearest dealer with a notepad and measuring dimensions of certain bags that you think will fit all of your gear AND gear you plan to accumulate in the near future. Bags can be tricky to shop for because I think most them are designed by people who have never seen what all needs to go into a gear bag.

BJNY

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 06:58:54 pm »

Different circumstances dictate use of different type bags/cases.
Many I know are very happy with the offerings from www.thinktankphoto.com
Guillermo

elitegroup

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »

Another option that might be considered if you intend on flying (airline carry-on compliant) or trekking out on location is the Kiboko from Gura Gear.

It can carry Medium Format & 35mm SLR gear, it's lightweight @ only 4 pounds (1.8 kg) fully configurable (extra internal dividers provided) has a true backpack harness system, with lumbar padding, proper cinch straps, and wide webbing. Full review @ http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/acce...es/kiboko.shtml

Complete Hasselblad digital outfit

Left Hand Side:

* Hasselblad 300mm f/4.5
    * Hasselblad 35mm f/3.5
    * Hasselblad 28mm f/4.0
    * Metz flash
    * Sekonic light meter

Righ Hand Side:

* Hasselblad H3DII 39 + 80mm f/2.8 lens
    * Hasselblad 150mm f/3.2
    * Hasselblad 1.7x teleconverter
    * Hasselblad 50mm f/3.5
    * Hasselblad Extra battery
    * Pocket Wizard x 2
    * Hasselblad 100mm f/2.2

This is a very complete kit for a digital medium format user, and one thing to notice is that the bag has the camera with a lens attached already. With some very small moving around of dividers, one can use the bag to shoot out of with just about any lens attached and ready to go.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 02:40:14 am »

Way back in the previous millenium when I was a teenage clerk in the camera department of department store, there was an older guy who worked there part-time and full-time as a photo tech for the Armed Forces.  He told me they had nine Hasselblads around his office.  I asked him once what he carried them in and he told me a paper grocery bag with handles, because then nobody was likely to try and take it.

So there ya go.

Depends a lot on what use, how you're traveling, where you're going...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 03:39:37 am »

Quote from: elitegroup
Another option that might be considered if you intend on flying (airline carry-on compliant) or trekking out on location is the Kiboko from Gura Gear.

It can carry Medium Format & 35mm SLR gear, it's lightweight @ only 4 pounds (1.8 kg) fully configurable (extra internal dividers provided) has a true backpack harness system, with lumbar padding, proper cinch straps, and wide webbing. Full review @ http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/acce...es/kiboko.shtml

Complete Hasselblad digital outfit

Left Hand Side:

* Hasselblad 300mm f/4.5
    * Hasselblad 35mm f/3.5
    * Hasselblad 28mm f/4.0
    * Metz flash
    * Sekonic light meter

Righ Hand Side:

* Hasselblad H3DII 39 + 80mm f/2.8 lens
    * Hasselblad 150mm f/3.2
    * Hasselblad 1.7x teleconverter
    * Hasselblad 50mm f/3.5
    * Hasselblad Extra battery
    * Pocket Wizard x 2
    * Hasselblad 100mm f/2.2

This is a very complete kit for a digital medium format user, and one thing to notice is that the bag has the camera with a lens attached already. With some very small moving around of dividers, one can use the bag to shoot out of with just about any lens attached and ready to go.

here in new zealand, there is suppose to be a 7kg (or is it 14kg?) carry on bag limit. havnt you got that limit there? that is one heavy bag, it would be hard to hide the weight with that on you back.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

elitegroup

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 04:53:04 am »

Quote from: paul_jones
here in new zealand, there is suppose to be a 7kg (or is it 14kg?) carry on bag limit. havnt you got that limit there? that is one heavy bag, it would be hard to hide the weight with that on you back.

paul

I took the sample set up of the H3DII system in the 'Kiboko Backpack' from the 'Gura Gear Blog' @ http://blog.guragear.com/

Here's an illustration of a Kiboko bag in a United Airlines carry-on template with room to spare.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:55:18 am by elitegroup »

David WM

• http://
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 08:46:03 am »

I prefer the protection of a hard case and I use a Pelican, I think it is the 1600, the one with side clips as well as the front ones. I find it a bit on the heavy side and I am thinking of splitting the system between two 1550 cases If I expand the system so I don't end up needing a custom order walking frame which is lower on one side when I get to that stage. If you get a Pelican I'd suggest the foam partitions rather than the pluck & pull foam, which disintegrates over time and probably ends up on your sensor. I have the 35,50,80,120, 210 & the 1.4TC in my system.

David

elitegroup

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:43 am »

How do other photographers flying interstate/overseas prefer to transport their MF/SLR gear and laptop?

Personally I'd rather haul camera equipment as carry on luggage than check it in to be stored in a plane's cargo hold. I'd be screwed if my gear was lost, mishandled, misplaced or ended up on another flight. I can understand checking in lighting packs, stands, accessories etc. but wouldn't most photog's carry camera essentials on their person?

I'm just curious to hear how others travel and maybe there's a more efficient way?

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:21 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:03:37 pm by jecxz »

ziocan

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 12:51:10 pm »

Quote from: elitegroup
How do other photographers flying interstate/overseas prefer to transport their MF/SLR gear and laptop?

Personally I'd rather haul camera equipment as carry on luggage than check it in to be stored in a plane's cargo hold. I'd be screwed if my gear was lost, mishandled, misplaced or ended up on another flight. I can understand checking in lighting packs, stands, accessories etc. but wouldn't most photog's carry camera essentials on their person?

I'm just curious to hear how others travel and maybe there's a more efficient way?
I normally carry my cameras in a pelican (1510) that fit in the carry-on template and the laptop in another laptop bag and check all the lighting. I' have been able to carry the pelican and the laptop bag always with me.  Sometime I'm able to travel with my assistant and he can carry some extra stuff. Carrying anything in the pelican case has been possible until I was using 2 dslr bodies, 4 lenses, small hd and al the other junk that come along, but if I have to travel with a MF camera +back + dslr system as backup, it will be impossible to fit everything in the 1510. If I have to travel to a remote island or location, I do not feel comfortable if I do not have 3 bodies and back up lenses.
I had lighting been delayed to the following flight twice in the past and if you are on a tight schedule that could be a problem.
I know some people that check all the bags in, including cameras. I would never do that.

In any case even if the bag fit in the carry-on template, it does not mean that they will let you carry it on board. Once I was in london flying back to NY with Virgin Atlantic (never again!), and they asked me to put my camera bag on the scale (it was a temba that fitted in the carry-on template) and they said that since it was 12kg and their limit was 7kg I had to check the bag. I explained that there was at least 20 grands worth of equipment in it but they could not care less. after speaking with 2 managers, they still wanted me to check the bag. I had to ask TSA officer intervention and he let me carry the bag with me. I had similar problem with other airlines, but they were more flexible and they let me trough without any fuss.

Since the advent of digital it has become a problem flying with all the equipment and unfortunately clients rarely pay for business or first class ticket these days or they ask to hire an assistant locally where the shoot will be held on order to save on travel expenses.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up