Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vignetting inside the crop  (Read 3787 times)

marc

Vignetting inside the crop
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »

Hi,

When using the vignette tool Lightroom always seems to apply it to the original (full) picture, rather than the cropped one. So if I crop the top part of a picture and then use vignetting it will be fine on three sides and the top will be unaffected inside the crop. I suppose this makes sense when trying to correct lens issues, but it limits the creative use of vignetting.

Is there a way around this? I can edit in Photoshop of course, but then I end up with a huge psd file for just that one thing and I'm really enjoying not having every single image take up hundreds of megabyte..

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »

Lightroom 2 has post-crop vignetting, its just under the regular vignetting. this is the only vignetting I use truthfully since pretty much all my images are cropped.

marc

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

Quote from: sesshin
Lightroom 2 has post-crop vignetting, its just under the regular vignetting. this is the only vignetting I use truthfully since pretty much all my images are cropped.

I felt like a complete fool for a moment, but then I remembered why I've ignored that function - it seems to use a different kind of vignetting in the sense that the normal one looks like a typical curves or levels adjustment while the post-crop vignetting is the same effect you get from adding a black/white semi-translucent layer on top of the picture (or from adjusting output levels rather than input levels in Photoshop).

Is there a way to make the post-crop vignette use the same effect as pre-crop?

sesshin

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:19:30 pm »

Well it is what it is. I know what you are talking about though. On some images I would like my vignetted areas to have more saturation, but with any other effect like this it depends if making the round trip to Photoshop and back is worth it.

Maybe in future releases they'll have more vignetting options but for now I'm just glad they've included post-crop and the feathering and midpoint adjustments. That saves me a lot of time and effort creating masks in Photoshop.

marc

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:35:21 pm »

It's just strange that they use two completely different vignetting methods for uncropped and cropped..

Guess I'll just have to use Photoshop then

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »

Well it is what it is. I know what you are talking about though. On some images I would like my vignetted areas to have more saturation, but with any other effect like this it depends if making the round trip to Photoshop and back is worth it.

Maybe in future releases they'll have more vignetting options but for now I'm just glad they've included post-crop and the feathering and midpoint adjustments. That saves me a lot of time and effort creating masks in Photoshop.
Why not use the brush to "paint in" the corners(simulate the vignette)with exposure, saturation, or brightness-either + or -?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:45:26 pm »

It's just strange that they use two completely different vignetting methods for uncropped and cropped..

marc, the "uncropped" vignette is designed primarily to correct lens & sensor vignetting and hence its mathematical model is quite different from post-crop vignette. Hence the two flavors.
Eric Chan

marc

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
marc, the "uncropped" vignette is designed primarily to correct lens & sensor vignetting and hence its mathematical model is quite different from post-crop vignette. Hence the two flavors.

Yeah, I just happen to use the same method in Photoshop as the uncropped vignette, while I wouldn't use the cropped version so I guess I'm just biased that way..

I have been fiddling with using the brush in Lightroom instead, but it's difficult to achieve the same fluid transition. I'm looking forward to some more diverse selection tools, that's one of the few things I'm really missing from Photoshop.

sesshin

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:49:32 am »

another option might be to use multiple graduated filters coming from different angles. not exactly the same as a vignette but it gives you more ways to change the look of the image that way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:53:04 am by sesshin »

sesshin

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 01:34:32 am »

Ideally all the adjustments found under the adjustment brush would be available under the post-crop vignette adjustments. That would make it just about perfect.

marc

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 11:22:23 am »

another option might be to use multiple graduated filters coming from different angles. not exactly the same as a vignette but it gives you more ways to change the look of the image that way.

I am actually doing that in combination with the brush tool on some images.. the gradient tool is so slick it's a joy to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up