Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ObPhoto thread #1  (Read 9284 times)

Misirlou

• http://
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 05:45:41 pm »

Quote from: mattpallante
[attachment=9733:_IGP2059...ndpoint_.jpg]

October in Ohio....

Looks a lot like October in West Virginia. I took this one in '04, and it was my first try at HDR. If I remember correctly, I did two raw conversions from the same original, then mushed them together in an early beta of Photomatix. It's dark, to recall the mood of that particular sunrise. The shot was not intended to stand on its own, but to provide background for a cell phone screen.

[attachment=9800:WV.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31:18 am »

Quote from: mattpallante
I was passing through Letchworth park in New York on my way to see a brother in MA. I had stopped to shoot the Genessee river and falls. When I headed back to the car I found that a Packard and classic car outing had stopped to park!

Nice car!

This one's not as fancy...

Mike.

[attachment=9809:IMG_4689.jpg]
If your mind is attuned t

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »

This is a photograph that has languished as a RAW file in my Lightroom structure for almost a year - mostly because I just wasnt sure how I wanted to process it.

I finally did process it last night - Titled 'The Hook'
[attachment=9840:The_Hook.jpg]
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 10:16:19 pm »

Quote from: Tony Beach
You must mean 24mm @ 135 format equivalent since that camera's actual focal lengths are:  5.1mm to 15.3mm.  I don't want to be a pedant, but 24mm is 24mm regardless of the format it is used on; although I agree that the wider field of view is useful.  BTW, I really like the use of the foreground in your shot; although I would have crouched lower to narrow the distance the road places between the explicit message and the implicit subject.
I know it's not the actual focal length, but unless one knows the sensor size, it's a bit meaningless stating the actual measurement, so using the 35mm convention that everyone understands and without translation is easier.

Quote from: iancl
jjj, I like your shot very much. The texture of the pavement comes out beautifully and the vignette adds a lot here (IMO). You toning is very compelling -- is it a blue/magenta split-tone? Lovely regardless. I have the GX100 and love the wideangle ability too. But, I can never seem to get in the habit of carrying a camera all the time and do not use it nearly enough.
Don't remember toning off hand, sorry.
I feel naked without a camera, always have. It makes even going to supermarket to buy food more interesting. I've even been ejected for taking photos in Tescos, by an overzealous security guard who was spoiling for a punch up. And even came out with the deeply ironic line," I didn't fight for my country, just so the likes of you can...blah, blah"
My evil crime - taking this image

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 12:46:22 am »

Quote from: jjj
I know it's not the actual focal length, but unless one knows the sensor size, it's a bit meaningless stating the actual measurement, so using the 35mm convention that everyone understands and without translation is easier.

No more meaningless then trying to compare a 5.1mm lens with its optical characteristics to a 24mm lens with its optical characteristics.  I might well wonder why I can't get any subject isolation with a 24mm "equivalent" focal length at any aperture whereas I can get some with an actual 24mm focal length.

"I didn't fight for my country, just so the likes of you can...blah, blah"

I've seen lots of images of carnage in Iraq taken by US soldiers, so it is indeed ironic for him to make that argument.  OTOH, it is private property, so the owner and their representatives get to make the rules.  BTW, that's a funny shot -- you see clowns (like the security guard) all the time, but not someone dressed as one while shopping.

Here's one taken with my 45/2.8 PC-E and D300:

Sadly, it's in the shop being worked on as it has a bad environmental seal and resulting dust behind the rear LCD monitor.  The lens I used for this image is also at Nikon, I'm having its tilt and shift functions aligned to the same axis.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:46:59 am by Tony Beach »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:27:12 am »

I feel naked without a camera, always have. It makes even going to supermarket to buy food more interesting.

It's interesting that the woman beside the clown here seems completely oblivious to his presence.  Maybe she was worried she was about to be on a 'Candid Camera' episode.

Here's one from today.  Taken quickly with a digicam, but the clouds were incredible.

Mike.

[attachment=9856:IMG_4715.jpg]
If your mind is attuned t

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 09:55:40 am »

No more meaningless then trying to compare a 5.1mm lens with its optical characteristics to a 24mm lens with its optical characteristics.  I might well wonder why I can't get any subject isolation with a 24mm "equivalent" focal length at any aperture whereas I can get some with an actual 24mm focal length.
I was referring to angle of view, so completely meaningful. DoF is an other thing altogether and also aperture dependent.  

Another supermarket shot, oddly enough Tescos again - where I don't normally shop.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:56:55 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:39 am »

I was referring to angle of view, so completely meaningful. DoF is an other thing altogether and also aperture dependent.

I don't get why angle of view isn't simply measured in degrees (preferably on the long axis).  It's as if someone told you how fast they were going based on their engine's rpms.  As far as I'm concerned, when referring to 24mm we are really referring to all the optical characteristics of that focal length, which includes the distance required to attain a degree of magnification (which are the other two parts of DOF along with aperture); only angle of view is format dependent.

jani

• Øyet
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 03:01:31 pm »

I don't get why angle of view isn't simply measured in degrees (preferably on the long axis).  It's as if someone told you how fast they were going based on their engine's rpms.  As far as I'm concerned, when referring to 24mm we are really referring to all the optical characteristics of that focal length, which includes the distance required to attain a degree of magnification (which are the other two parts of DOF along with aperture); only angle of view is format dependent.
Angle of view isn't good enough, either, because it varies with focus.

In case someone doesn't realize how noticeable this effect can be, please see the animated GIF attached at the bottom of this post.

Here's a more industrial shot from September 2007:

[attachment=9858:3739_Wha...Come_Out.jpg]

Animation subject: the image above, on my screen, brightened for effect, with focus changing from too short to too long.

Lens: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro.

[attachment=9860:focus_anim.gif]
Jan

mattpallante

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »

Quack......

[attachment=9863:quack.jpg]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up